Beaded Knife Sheath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded Knife Sheath

I have beaded many items, but never a knife sheath. A friend has asked me to cover a sheath he already has with beadwork. I normally bead on pellon. Should I cut a piece to fit the sheath, bead on it, then glue it to the existing sheath? Then edge bead?

Lazy stitch the design or applique beading? He doesn't have any design ideas, whatever I want is fine...

Would it be better to create a new sheath with rawhide to cover?

If you have any other ways to do this or suggestions, could you please share them? Thanks so much!

It kinda depends on the existing knife sheath. What is it made out of? Will a needle go through fairly easily?

Lazy stitch is a good way to cover a finished item, as long as you can get a needle through.

Applique is possible if you can take the item apart, AND you can get a needle through...easily!

Most knife sheaths I've seen are only beaded on one side. That's where beading a separate panel would come in handy. I suggest beading on something a little more substantial than just pellon...maybe 2 layers of pellon, 1 layer of paper, cut to size and edged with bias tape (securely hand tacked). Use applique stitch in this case (sturdier).

As much as I hate glue, this would be a good idea because it will tend to get some wear and tear.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

The sheath is made of thick leather, which is why I thought of beading on something else, then glueing it on. I think the problem would be trying to edge bead...

Comment

make a cover of buckskin that fit all away around the sheath, bead the front, glue the cover on and edge bead the sides

Comment

Great idea!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Meggers_018
            moccasins
            by Meggers_018
            I've decided to try to bead a pair of moccasins for my new outfit. I've never done a pair before. I asked a couple of friends who bead them for some advice, but we really didn't get a lot of time to talk about it. They suggested beading on a piece of canvas first, then sewing that onto leather of...
            06-24-2006, 11:40 AM
          • Suzizila
            fully beaded yoke questions
            by Suzizila
            Hello everybody & happy new year! I am seriously considering making a buckskin dress with a fully beaded yoke and had some questions. In the past, I have done some asking around about this, but what is everybody's preference when making a fully beaded yoke......beading on canvas & attaching...
            01-01-2002, 05:09 AM
          • blufalo
            rosettes
            by blufalo
            i would like to find some different designs on some beaded rosettes, if somebody has any suggestions or sites. Also what is the best material to get started working on the rosettes. What is recommended size beads to work on to make a good designs ;)
            06-28-2001, 11:31 AM
          • DakotaPikey
            Backing Help :confused_
            by DakotaPikey
            I'm SO new to powwows.com, have torn these threads apart, and am THRILLED that there are so many wonderful teachers in here willing to lend their advice. I'm completely self taught, but have always had a problem: putting backing on ANYTHING after the beadwork's done (sad, no?). Most of the stuff I...
            09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
          • beadmom
            Bolo Tie
            by beadmom
            I am wanting to make a beaded bolo tie for a friend, but I have never made one. I want the cord to be beaded and have a beaded medallion on the clasp. Where do you find the clasp, or do you make it? Do you gourd stitch the cord? What kind of cord do you use? Any suggestions would be great! Th...
            11-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X