This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilled bag.

I don't know if this picture will show up or not. Its a quilled Seminole bag that was given by a Chief to a Sgt(?)Mendenhall during/after the Revolutionary War.

Pare-
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh, yeah!

I've seen that bag before. i just never knew it's history. Great imagery. Never knew Seminole people were doing quillwork. Great info.
      " You must learn the white man's language in order to survive in this lifetime - you must learn your Native tongue in order to survive forever."

http://www.wanuken.com

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip on skining the porcupine. I have a porky that I have been trying to de-quill. And it is a long, long process.
        "Tell me friend, you who dwells in the dark and the deep, How may I venture unafraid, into the dark world of half death"

Comment

Why did this thread stop? I haven't even begun to learn!!:D

Comment

dyes, etc.

I've used both the powder and liquid Rit dyes with equal success. And yes, rinse with vinegar to set the dye. Dye far more than you think you will need because you will discard a lot of quills that may not be suitable for your project and I find it quite difficult to match dye lots of quills, even when using the same brand and color.

I sort the quills as I do my quillwork since I rarely have time to sit down and pick through bags of quills at another time.

I have two set ups for doing quillwork -- one for home and one for travel. I use a large lap board on which I sort my quills, flattened then, etc. It was part of a kitchen counter! For travel, I take along a smaller block of hardwood -- about 4 inches square -- which gives me plenty of room for flattening quills on a solid surface.

My favorite flattener is a six inch tip of a deer antler. It is very comfortable to work with and flattens quills quite well. I've watched Lakota women use old spoons, finger nails and the antler/bone pieces to flatten quills. Find something that works and have at it.

If you are just getting started, pick up a book or two on the subject. "A Quillworkers Companion" is quite good and I recommend it for someone getting started. Next, thing, invest in some patience. Don't panic when things don't go well to start. Like anything, it takes some time and practice, but once you get comfortable with various techniques, I find it faster than lazy stitch beadwork.

More later if you find it helpful........

Comment

Quickie Quill Question

Does anyone know how to make a feather with the quill as the inside baseline? like beads coming out of each side of the quill???

Comment

another fast way of getting the quills off of a porky is with a strofoam cup,,, works great and easier to remove than from a blanket,,,that gets to be messy,,, as well for dying quills I cut the tips off before hand, that way the dye can get inside the quill as well and the colors are truer,,, I pick lots of quills every year from road kills,,why buy!!!
                I keep the claws as well for making jewelery!!!
                Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Thanks y'all for the tips ... lol (no pun intended)
                  i have worked with quills in the past, but, gettin em clean - hmpf ... now i know. thanks again
                  Inuk*

"A person who works with their hands is a laborer,
                  A person who works with their hands & their brain is a craftsman,
                  A person who works with their brain & their heart ... is an Artist".
                  Join my on my face book fan page:

Comment

Originally posted by thestogs
                    I've used both the powder and liquid Rit dyes with equal success. And yes, rinse with vinegar to set the dye. Dye far more than you think you will need because you will discard a lot of quills that may not be suitable for your project and I find it quite difficult to match dye lots of quills, even when using the same brand and color.

I sort the quills as I do my quillwork since I rarely have time to sit down and pick through bags of quills at another time.

I have two set ups for doing quillwork -- one for home and one for travel. I use a large lap board on which I sort my quills, flattened then, etc. It was part of a kitchen counter! For travel, I take along a smaller block of hardwood -- about 4 inches square -- which gives me plenty of room for flattening quills on a solid surface.

My favorite flattener is a six inch tip of a deer antler. It is very comfortable to work with and flattens quills quite well. I've watched Lakota women use old spoons, finger nails and the antler/bone pieces to flatten quills. Find something that works and have at it.

If you are just getting started, pick up a book or two on the subject. "A Quillworkers Companion" is quite good and I recommend it for someone getting started. Next, thing, invest in some patience. Don't panic when things don't go well to start. Like anything, it takes some time and practice, but once you get comfortable with various techniques, I find it faster than lazy stitch beadwork.

More later if you find it helpful........
                    you are very helpful!!! Keep posting.....
                    Sometimes dreams are wiser than waking.
                    -Black Elk

Comment

HEY there everyone, Ijust found a fast way of gettin the quills off of a porky,,, forceps that lock, they work great, but you need the big ones. I got a pair for removing hooks from fish and they work great to pick up rows of quills and just drop them in a bag. In the mean time since this posting I have piocked up more than a dozen killed porkies and removed all the quills and even went so far as to cut the paws off and am now ready to cut the claws free for making decorations. I have 8 big bags of quills for sale so far!!! The guard hair is in one zip lock bag and as soon as I get enough of them I will have a roach kit ready for real hair,,,no fake!
                      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

LOL never heard of cutting off the tips b/f dyeing but each to his/her own...and throwing a blanket and flattening w/something else..but anyways interesting..
                        "I don't know why you never tried to tell me I was the one for you, I'm telling you my love is true and you're the only one for me -NC

I'm not crazy I'm jus a little impaired I know right now you don't care but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be I'm not crazy jus a little unwell...-matchbox 20

Comment

Are quills good forever???

I have quills I would give away if someone wants them. Quilling is not for me, but can't seem to just throw them out, too dangerous. Would be great if you wanted to hide your money. Imagine sticking your hand in a bag and get a hand full of quills.

Comment

Well those quills will last a long time, and if you can't find anyone soak them for a while till they are soft and pliable, then you can do just about anything with them even crumple them!!! They fold like drinking straws when they are softend.
                            When you cut the ends off the dye goes through more to a solid color, if the ends are left on the colors go through only partially and blend into different shades all the way top pastels. So if you cut the ends off the color goes through and turns nearly solid.
                            I have some quills that have been around since the early 60's and they are still okay.

Comment

just learnin!

In my younger years I have always seen my grandma n great grandma doing quill work. I can still remember on how they did certain things w/ the quills and birchbark.

Today, I have took on a new thing to do for myself n thats learning how to do just what my grandmothers did. Its fun and interesting stuff. I kinda get excited doing things n making new designs. I dont know the names of certain things you can do w/ them -I just do it. So, yeah INTRO TO QUILL work posting will be something great to read n see.

Right now, I am working on a few peices for my regalia. (First time dancer, too!) The drop that will hang on my chest will be quillled up mixed w/ some glass cut beads. Right now, its going good - Outling the feathers, a border and floral designs. For this being my first time and self teaching along the way its lookin pretty good.

My concern is, how do u maintain them so they will not break or pop out? I am using clear nail polish to keep them down after cutting them, it also gives them that shine! I guess I should add that I am not doing it on birchbark tho. Found some decent material that is good to do beadwork on as well.

Recently just got 4 road kills and brought them into the city. (crazy for neighbours to watch the skinning of in my backyard, haha)...anyhow, 4 porky's and alot of projects to come. I want to do boxes too...thats my next thing to teach myself. Its also good to show my grandma as I am going n her givin me helpful tips n tellin me that I am doing a great job!!!

KEEP THIS THREAD GOING!!!!
                              ..::SweetSinginSista::..
                              ToRoNto,ON

Comment

Great........... Ready To Learn
                                MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS KILLED COWBOYS

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.