Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Beadwork And Prices.

Hello,

Just wanted to see what people here on powwows.com feel about ordering beadwork from people. I have done it once for my daughter and the experience was far from positive. I am the kind of person who doesn't like to order something if I can't pay in full, I don't like to do "pay as I go" since I can't predict the future and if you are me LIFE HAPPENS more often then not. I couldn't get the woman I had ordered from to give me a set time when the order would be completed, she would say that she sent it but the tracking codes didn't work, at times she would just send a piece here an then at her own whims, there were times when she would ignore every email or phone call, and the whole situation got so out of control that I had to threaten to take her to court over the whole thing. After that she eventually sent what was left of the order. I will make something perfectly clear, the woman I had ordered from is talented and the beadwork she did was nice. Yet it shouldn't have gotten that far out of hand. My personal feelings is that if someone pays you in full for beadwork that an open line of communication should be left open. Especially since life is unpredictable and deadlines may have to change. I can certainly understand if something happens that you aren't prepared for and that affects the deadline for an order completion.

Since then I have asked a couple people what they would charge for beadwork. As much as they seem professional and trustworthy I am not sure I would pay what they are asking for to do beadwork. Some have $5,000 to $7,000 for a full set of fancy shawl beadwork. Which is half of what I paid for my car!! I don't have that kind of cash to just put down, I don't know many people who do. I am in no shape to bead myself. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and when I am out of school I plan on getting surgery done to fix them. Otherwise I would do the work myself because I enjoy making regalia.

So here are my questions.........

How much do you feel should be charged for beadwork?

How does a person prove that they are reliable and can be trusted?

Would you pay $5000-$7000 for beadwork if the seller came across as professional and trustworthy?

If you a person who sells beadwork, how do you establish trust with a potential customer and how do you establish your prices for beadwork?

Thank you to any who comment on my post!!

I would never give the entire amount up front half maybe but never full, unless you know who you are working with that is setting yourself up for failure! I heard some only want payd after they get it done so it drives them to complete the order, also ive seen payd in full and no beadwork. One way is word of mouth ask around see if who it is your wanting to do your work can be trust worthy. As far as prices how hard the design is and what size of beads, are you sending beads or are they buying them wich would make it cost more. It really depands on just what is being bought.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

$5-7k sounds like a lot but I could maybe see it for extra-primo top-shelf stuff with all the possible accessories.

Good business people should be able to give you some references, of satisfied customers that you can speak to about their experiences. They should also have a portfolio of their own work so you have an idea of what they are capable of. Communication is very important. For example, when I am working on an order, I like to send periodic photos by email of progress being made. My customers really appreciate this so they can see that I haven't just taken their $$ and disappeared, lol.

Comment

Send me a pm and I'll give you my cousin's number. Her name is connie scott and she lives in rapid city. She recently did beadwork for andrea gurske. Her prices a way less than the thousands.
        Last edited by wanjica_the_one; 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM.
        Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

I think half up front WITH REFERENCES is a good deal unless you're going up above $1000....ie, if the agreed upon price (another important point) is like $3000, then I think $500-$800 upfront is enough (depending on cost of supplies - cut beads, rhinestones, etc...).

As a beadworker, looking forward to that big payday is good motivation.

As a customer, I'm not giving anybody a huge chunk of change without something in hand...no matter how good the references.

As a beadworker, don't expect a big discount if you're supplying your own beads, unless they're primo cut beads, and kilos of 'em at that.

It's always a sticky situation when you get this big order and cannot get 'in the zone' to get the order done.

And don't you hate it when you're waiting on a customer to provide stuff like their design, or sizes, or even a foot tracing for mocs!! Ahem...no names...JD....
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
            I think half up front WITH REFERENCES is a good deal unless you're going up above $1000....ie, if the agreed upon price (another important point) is like $3000, then I think $500-$800 upfront is enough (depending on cost of supplies - cut beads, rhinestones, etc...).

As a beadworker, looking forward to that big payday is good motivation.

As a customer, I'm not giving anybody a huge chunk of change without something in hand...no matter how good the references.

As a beadworker, don't expect a big discount if you're supplying your own beads, unless they're primo cut beads, and kilos of 'em at that.

It's always a sticky situation when you get this big order and cannot get 'in the zone' to get the order done.

And don't you hate it when you're waiting on a customer to provide stuff like their design, or sizes, or even a foot tracing for mocs!! Ahem...no names...JD....
            Hey, I said I wasn't paying $5000 for a pair of mocs that said 'Made by a Cherokee'!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
              $5-7k sounds like a lot but I could maybe see it for extra-primo top-shelf stuff with all the possible accessories.

Good business people should be able to give you some references, of satisfied customers that you can speak to about their experiences. They should also have a portfolio of their own work so you have an idea of what they are capable of. Communication is very important. For example, when I am working on an order, I like to send periodic photos by email of progress being made. My customers really appreciate this so they can see that I haven't just taken their $$ and disappeared, lol.
              I can speak for Czechy !!! I have a Czechy origional and its da bomb! lol She was awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                Hey, I said I wasn't paying $5000 for a pair of mocs that said 'Made by a Cherokee'!!!
                Oh, you know it will be way worth it!

Half down, please.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

I've seen alot of whopping prices in my day. In recent years, I've seen a southern buckskin dress go for $20,000. Now that's the price of a brand new car!! Sheesh! I'm sure it was worth it to whoever bought it because alot of work into it.

Anyways, it's always important to talk to people who have had good experiences with the beader. Some beaders I know use beading as their only means of work, so alot of consideration goes into paying for their time. After all, they're the expert. It's not like you can go to Walmart and order something beautiful and snappy. Nuh uh! The price depends alot on how soon you would want it, too.
                  Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

My family and I had a good experience recently with a beader in Oklahoma. She was able to whip up my niece's beadwork in time for Christmas, so we were very fortunate. She does great beadwork, and you may see her from time to time, as well.
                    Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Thank you Eagle Plumes, I was totally not expecting that!

Yes folks, make sure your references are actually happy with your work. Give all your customers business cards to hand out to anyone who asks about the great stuff you made for them. (I really need to do this but have moved recently and will be doing it again in a few months, sigh).

Comment

your goin got move again wow quite the traveler lol

Comment

Hello

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted a response!! Definitely has given me something to think about in the future should I happen to order beadwork in the future!!

Comment

Sounds Familiar

The same thing is happening to me. I have sent payments for beadwork and have received nothing. Some items I paid for in full because they were completed, and nothing. People like this make it harder for the honest beadworkers out there.

This experience motivated me to start beading my own stuff. I have completed two sets for myself and other various items, and love it. I love creating the designs and being able to add whatever I want to the sets. I feel like a set is never done. LOL! Now I have people wanting to order from me, and I will make sure to have open and on-going communication with them. I like the idea of sending photo updates, so the clients can see the progress on their items.

Now I have to read some more and figure out pricing.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X