Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Beader

Hey, guys! I was hoping from some help from the experts

I've been using Fireline, but want to use the Nymo I have. Is size B the best? Also, how do you stretch and condition it?

I want to use rounds that are even in size (I have Delicas, but only like to use them for bezeling). Any suggestions on where you buy yours?

Also, where do you get your flatback crystal rhinestones(not the cheap plastic kind) at a reasonable price?

I'm also wanting to make some of my earrings post earrings instead of hooks, but am having a tough time attaching the posts and making them secure. What kind of posts do you use and how do you attach them?

Sorry for the question overload, but I know you guys know what you're doing!

Hi there, new beader. Here's my 2 cents on some of your questions:

I like Nymo and usually use bee's wax on it to keep it from tangling. Some say you should use the size of thread to fill the hole of the bead...but I use size A or 0 for everything. I have used B for warp threads on a loom, or to sew moccasin soles.

If you have a facebook acct, Fort Hollywood has a great selection, price and quality of crystals.

As for converting hook to post earrings, it would really depend on the earring. There are posts with little loops on them for hanging earrings.
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply, Wyo! Any suggestions on where to get Nymo in those sizes on the large cones for the best price? I'm using size B right now bc it's what I had. Any difference in strength as the thread size gets smaller?

Comment

Agreeing with Rose

I have to agree with Rose on the size 0 / A Nymo. It is strong enough. Also with the use of beeswax, don't be afraid to really wax it down.

Are you working on a loom? I know what you mean by finding beads that are even in size. I had really good luck buying (and they were not Delicas) from a company that sold me some that were dead even, every last one of them. I don't know if I'm allowed to say on here where I got them, but if you PM me, I'll share my source.

I have stuck with them and have never been disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by docat View Post
          I have to agree with Rose on the size 0 / A Nymo. It is strong enough. Also with the use of beeswax, don't be afraid to really wax it down.

Are you working on a loom? I know what you mean by finding beads that are even in size. I had really good luck buying (and they were not Delicas) from a company that sold me some that were dead even, every last one of them. I don't know if I'm allowed to say on here where I got them, but if you PM me, I'll share my source.

I have stuck with them and have never been disappointed.
          No, I don't work on a loom! I bead onto fabric. That would be great, thank you! I PMed you :)

Comment

nymo is the BEST

halito
            i taught myself to do loom, sewn-on and peyote stitch beadwork back in the 1970's
            also build my own looms
            always use size D nymo nylon thread for the warp threads and size 0 nymo for the weft or cross threads on loom beading
            also went to size 11 beads that i buy from ORRS TRADING in denver...they also sell the thread and needles
            they have the best prices of anybody, great friendly service
            beadwork is a totally under-appreciated art form and takes a lot of time, but i am proud of my work and enjoy it...

Comment

To Eliza George!

How is your beading coming along?

Comment

"If you have a facebook acct, Fort Hollywood has a great selection, price and quality of crystals."

I am so checking out Fort Hollywood as soon as I get off work!!! LOL!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.