Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you Hate it When......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Don't you Hate it When......

    Don't you Hate it When....you're in the middle of a project, you've alreday beaded a section, and you have to tear it out because it doesn't line up the way you thought it would with the rest of your design.......

    Don't you hate it when....... (Fill in the blank with your beading gripes or mishaps.)

  • #2
    Suzizila's back! Missed you.

    Don't you hate it when....

    After seeing about others' needs and the house is quiet, you finally sit down to bead, spread out all your beading gear, get your freshly made huge ice tea in position...and your cell phone rings--at this time of night (after 11 pm), and unfortunately it is just out of reach...

    So you get the beading stuff out of your lap, move things to "safe" positions and then get to the phone, just as it goes to voice mail. It is a number you don't recognize...who could be calling at this time of night?...and then you head back to the beading spot and get all the things into position again, and the phone rings again...

    Unfortunately, you did not put the phone closer to you when you answered it the first time. You were going to ignore it, but remember that you have sick elderly family members and maybe it is someone calling about them...

    So you take all the beading stuff off your lap and put the gear in "safe" spots and get to the phone in time for it to go to voice mail. You take the time to answer your voice mail and you notice that there are some other messages on there too.

    One is from your doctor's office that says you have a fasting blood check the next day, not to eat or drink anything after midnight. You forgot about that and you look at the clock and it is still before midnight. Good thing you checked your voice mail. So you drink a big swig of the ice tea.

    Then the other messages are from someone in Spanish, and you don't understand Spanish, so you are sure the other number is a wrong number.

    So you sit back down and get everything arranged and your beading and contemplate the project and getting the blood work done the next day, when before the first bead goes on the needle, you hear a bang on the door.

    Who could be banging on the door at this time of night? So you yell, WHO IS IT? But the banging continues and no one is answering your question, so you carefully take all the stuff off your lap and get everything in "safe" positions, and you go for your gun--just in case...

    You look out the window and it is your Spanish speaking next door neighbor....Oh, you think, that must have been who was calling...and so you open the door and he says in broken English,
    "Senora, the agua is no good."

    From his speech, you finally understand. The water needs to be boiled because of some major problems with dangerous bacterial contamination in the pipes in the neighborhood. They had come 'round to tell you in the afternoon, but you were gone then. He told the official he would alert you.

    So he just got off work and wanted to let you know. And so you thank him, put the gun away (which really did feel good in your hands) and looked at the clock. Just before midnight, so you took the last huge swig of your tea.

    You sit down to your beading, which by now, you think you want to look at the pattern again, so you get that out, and then you reset all the things you need into the proper places, and before you can bead the first bead, something inside you is very very wrong.

    You feel rumbles in your belly. Oh my goodness, that freshly made tea was instant tea, it wasn't boiled!!!! And then you think, he said it was "dangerous bacteria" or at least that is what it sounded like he said.

    You feel sick. Really sick. And now you have to decide, how sick am I? Should I take something? What should I do? So you decide to wait. And in waiting, things go downhill. You decide you would find out how dangerous this bacteria is...

    So you decide to call your neighbor up and ask him. So you return the call from the caller I.D. You ask, how dangerous is the bacteria? But the man does not understand and you do not understand. He finally tells you in an excited voice, "Go to hospital."

    So you decide this might be bad enough to go to the hospital. You get your teenager out of bed to drive you. She has not had her license long, so you are trying to get there fast but she is going like 10 miles an hour.

    While you are on the way there, you think you are going to be really sick. Then, you see that a cop is following your newly licensed daughter and you pray that she goes a little faster, but she won't go any faster.

    The cop is intrigued, so he puts on his siren and lights and pulls your daughter over. So you sit there, feeling very sick while you and your daughter try to explain what is going on. At this point, you feel you are going to be really sick and grab your airsick bag.

    The cop believes you, but says either call an ambulance or mom has to drive, because you can't go 10 miles an hour in a 55 zone.

    So you take the steering wheel, the world is swimming around you, and in some miraculous way, the angels steered the car and got it safely to the Emergency Room.

    From there, you go to triage, and you explain the dangerous bacteria and that you drank the ice tea, and the neighbor was there and said the official told everyone not to drink the water, but to boil it because of dangerous bacteria, and you feel like you are going to explode inside.

    The nurse leaves you alone in your misery. You sit there and your life passes before your eyes. You think of the people you love, the fun things you did, the things you wish you wouldn't have done. And things you left un-done...even the partially beaded item left behind.

    And so you leave to use the restroom over and over again, waiting for them to come back. The nurse sticks her head in the door and confirms your address.

    They bring a medicine in a paper cup and say drink this. You do...but to you, it is a golden chalice, holding the cup in two hands, wondering if it is the elixir of life...to save you...and you know in your heart of hearts, that they were doing the very best that medicine could do. So you finish it.

    An official from the water department had been called in the middle of the night. The nurse tells you the good news. He was telling residents in your neighborhood that the boil water warning was for next week. There was nothing dangerous about the water supply.

    Suddenly, you realize the elixir to preserve your life tasted a lot like Pepto Bismol.

    So your daughter is laughing. She laughs all the way home while you drive. She goes in to catch a few winks before the sun comes up. You stand there in the living room and look at all the beads and wonder if perhaps you can bead tomorrow night.

    You lament that you can't have your blood drawn because you drank the elixir of life after midnight. You find out that the phone call was not from your Spanish speaking neighbor but a wrong number. And the more you think of it, maybe he was saying in English "Go to Hell", not hospital.

    Comment


    • #3
      Aye that's a good one Docat!




      Don't you hate it when...

      You're working on a beading project late at night but your eyes begin to blur too much to complete the job. You put your unfinished work in a safe place on the shelf high above your work station, cover it with a second mat, and put something on top so the cats don't get to it. Unfortunately, you have several different colors of hundreds of seed beads still laying out on the mat that you were too exhausted to put away, but you felt they were covered and safe enough for the few hours until morning.

      You go to bed and finally get on the verge of drifting off into a deep sleep, when you hear a loud crash, hiss, thump, and what sounds almost like a rainstick. You get up and turn on the lights, only to see all of your beads mixed together and scattered across the [carpeted] floor, shelf (which is taller than you) completely off the wall, one cat running away with your beading mat, and the other cat running in the opposite direction with your half finished project.

      You then spend the next hour getting exercise by chasing both cats around the house for your work, then have to come back and pick hundreds of beads out of the carpet so you don't waste them. Vacuuming up beads just isn't an option. All while cursing yourself for not knowing better in the first place.

      By that point, it's getting light outside and you feel wide awake, so you head to the basement to turn on some music and practice some fancy shawl in hopes that you can be productive while tiring yourself out to sleep. Needless to say, your cats make it their duty to "help"... which ends in you finally catching sleep on the floor in the basement, with one cat on top of you and the others' butt right in your face.

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't you hate it when...

        you sit night by night beading a loving beaded gift for your man and later find out his adopted non ndn brother got hold of it and threw it away.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by docat View Post
          Suzizila's back! Missed you.

          Don't you hate it when....

          After seeing about others' needs and the house is quiet, you finally sit down to bead, spread out all your beading gear, get your freshly made huge ice tea in position...and your cell phone rings--at this time of night (after 11 pm), and unfortunately it is just out of reach...

          So you get the beading stuff out of your lap, move things to "safe" positions and then get to the phone, just as it goes to voice mail. It is a number you don't recognize...who could be calling at this time of night?...and then you head back to the beading spot and get all the things into position again, and the phone rings again...

          Unfortunately, you did not put the phone closer to you when you answered it the first time. You were going to ignore it, but remember that you have sick elderly family members and maybe it is someone calling about them...

          So you take all the beading stuff off your lap and put the gear in "safe" spots and get to the phone in time for it to go to voice mail. You take the time to answer your voice mail and you notice that there are some other messages on there too.

          One is from your doctor's office that says you have a fasting blood check the next day, not to eat or drink anything after midnight. You forgot about that and you look at the clock and it is still before midnight. Good thing you checked your voice mail. So you drink a big swig of the ice tea.

          Then the other messages are from someone in Spanish, and you don't understand Spanish, so you are sure the other number is a wrong number.

          So you sit back down and get everything arranged and your beading and contemplate the project and getting the blood work done the next day, when before the first bead goes on the needle, you hear a bang on the door.

          Who could be banging on the door at this time of night? So you yell, WHO IS IT? But the banging continues and no one is answering your question, so you carefully take all the stuff off your lap and get everything in "safe" positions, and you go for your gun--just in case...

          You look out the window and it is your Spanish speaking next door neighbor....Oh, you think, that must have been who was calling...and so you open the door and he says in broken English,
          "Senora, the agua is no good."

          From his speech, you finally understand. The water needs to be boiled because of some major problems with dangerous bacterial contamination in the pipes in the neighborhood. They had come 'round to tell you in the afternoon, but you were gone then. He told the official he would alert you.

          So he just got off work and wanted to let you know. And so you thank him, put the gun away (which really did feel good in your hands) and looked at the clock. Just before midnight, so you took the last huge swig of your tea.

          You sit down to your beading, which by now, you think you want to look at the pattern again, so you get that out, and then you reset all the things you need into the proper places, and before you can bead the first bead, something inside you is very very wrong.

          You feel rumbles in your belly. Oh my goodness, that freshly made tea was instant tea, it wasn't boiled!!!! And then you think, he said it was "dangerous bacteria" or at least that is what it sounded like he said.

          You feel sick. Really sick. And now you have to decide, how sick am I? Should I take something? What should I do? So you decide to wait. And in waiting, things go downhill. You decide you would find out how dangerous this bacteria is...

          So you decide to call your neighbor up and ask him. So you return the call from the caller I.D. You ask, how dangerous is the bacteria? But the man does not understand and you do not understand. He finally tells you in an excited voice, "Go to hospital."

          So you decide this might be bad enough to go to the hospital. You get your teenager out of bed to drive you. She has not had her license long, so you are trying to get there fast but she is going like 10 miles an hour.

          While you are on the way there, you think you are going to be really sick. Then, you see that a cop is following your newly licensed daughter and you pray that she goes a little faster, but she won't go any faster.

          The cop is intrigued, so he puts on his siren and lights and pulls your daughter over. So you sit there, feeling very sick while you and your daughter try to explain what is going on. At this point, you feel you are going to be really sick and grab your airsick bag.

          The cop believes you, but says either call an ambulance or mom has to drive, because you can't go 10 miles an hour in a 55 zone.

          So you take the steering wheel, the world is swimming around you, and in some miraculous way, the angels steered the car and got it safely to the Emergency Room.

          From there, you go to triage, and you explain the dangerous bacteria and that you drank the ice tea, and the neighbor was there and said the official told everyone not to drink the water, but to boil it because of dangerous bacteria, and you feel like you are going to explode inside.

          The nurse leaves you alone in your misery. You sit there and your life passes before your eyes. You think of the people you love, the fun things you did, the things you wish you wouldn't have done. And things you left un-done...even the partially beaded item left behind.

          And so you leave to use the restroom over and over again, waiting for them to come back. The nurse sticks her head in the door and confirms your address.

          They bring a medicine in a paper cup and say drink this. You do...but to you, it is a golden chalice, holding the cup in two hands, wondering if it is the elixir of life...to save you...and you know in your heart of hearts, that they were doing the very best that medicine could do. So you finish it.

          An official from the water department had been called in the middle of the night. The nurse tells you the good news. He was telling residents in your neighborhood that the boil water warning was for next week. There was nothing dangerous about the water supply.

          Suddenly, you realize the elixir to preserve your life tasted a lot like Pepto Bismol.

          So your daughter is laughing. She laughs all the way home while you drive. She goes in to catch a few winks before the sun comes up. You stand there in the living room and look at all the beads and wonder if perhaps you can bead tomorrow night.

          You lament that you can't have your blood drawn because you drank the elixir of life after midnight. You find out that the phone call was not from your Spanish speaking neighbor but a wrong number. And the more you think of it, maybe he was saying in English "Go to Hell", not hospital.
          OMG!

          10 mph! That's me with my son driving, still! I don't know what could kill you faster, the heart attack riding with them or the illness!

          The phone, everything! It is so true!

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh, when you accidentally somehow get your hair strung through your beading because your hair is like a separate living being causing trouble and you are half blind up close these days and you don't realize it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by docat View Post
              Suzizila's back! Missed you.

              Don't you hate it when....

              After seeing about others' needs and the house is quiet, you finally sit down to bead, spread out all your beading gear, get your freshly made huge ice tea in position...and your cell phone rings--at this time of night (after 11 pm), and unfortunately it is just out of reach...

              So you get the beading stuff out of your lap, move things to "safe" positions and then get to the phone, just as it goes to voice mail. It is a number you don't recognize...who could be calling at this time of night?...and then you head back to the beading spot and get all the things into position again, and the phone rings again...

              Unfortunately, you did not put the phone closer to you when you answered it the first time. You were going to ignore it, but remember that you have sick elderly family members and maybe it is someone calling about them...

              So you take all the beading stuff off your lap and put the gear in "safe" spots and get to the phone in time for it to go to voice mail. You take the time to answer your voice mail and you notice that there are some other messages on there too.

              One is from your doctor's office that says you have a fasting blood check the next day, not to eat or drink anything after midnight. You forgot about that and you look at the clock and it is still before midnight. Good thing you checked your voice mail. So you drink a big swig of the ice tea.

              Then the other messages are from someone in Spanish, and you don't understand Spanish, so you are sure the other number is a wrong number.

              So you sit back down and get everything arranged and your beading and contemplate the project and getting the blood work done the next day, when before the first bead goes on the needle, you hear a bang on the door.

              Who could be banging on the door at this time of night? So you yell, WHO IS IT? But the banging continues and no one is answering your question, so you carefully take all the stuff off your lap and get everything in "safe" positions, and you go for your gun--just in case...

              You look out the window and it is your Spanish speaking next door neighbor....Oh, you think, that must have been who was calling...and so you open the door and he says in broken English,
              "Senora, the agua is no good."

              From his speech, you finally understand. The water needs to be boiled because of some major problems with dangerous bacterial contamination in the pipes in the neighborhood. They had come 'round to tell you in the afternoon, but you were gone then. He told the official he would alert you.

              So he just got off work and wanted to let you know. And so you thank him, put the gun away (which really did feel good in your hands) and looked at the clock. Just before midnight, so you took the last huge swig of your tea.

              You sit down to your beading, which by now, you think you want to look at the pattern again, so you get that out, and then you reset all the things you need into the proper places, and before you can bead the first bead, something inside you is very very wrong.

              You feel rumbles in your belly. Oh my goodness, that freshly made tea was instant tea, it wasn't boiled!!!! And then you think, he said it was "dangerous bacteria" or at least that is what it sounded like he said.

              You feel sick. Really sick. And now you have to decide, how sick am I? Should I take something? What should I do? So you decide to wait. And in waiting, things go downhill. You decide you would find out how dangerous this bacteria is...

              So you decide to call your neighbor up and ask him. So you return the call from the caller I.D. You ask, how dangerous is the bacteria? But the man does not understand and you do not understand. He finally tells you in an excited voice, "Go to hospital."

              So you decide this might be bad enough to go to the hospital. You get your teenager out of bed to drive you. She has not had her license long, so you are trying to get there fast but she is going like 10 miles an hour.

              While you are on the way there, you think you are going to be really sick. Then, you see that a cop is following your newly licensed daughter and you pray that she goes a little faster, but she won't go any faster.

              The cop is intrigued, so he puts on his siren and lights and pulls your daughter over. So you sit there, feeling very sick while you and your daughter try to explain what is going on. At this point, you feel you are going to be really sick and grab your airsick bag.

              The cop believes you, but says either call an ambulance or mom has to drive, because you can't go 10 miles an hour in a 55 zone.

              So you take the steering wheel, the world is swimming around you, and in some miraculous way, the angels steered the car and got it safely to the Emergency Room.

              From there, you go to triage, and you explain the dangerous bacteria and that you drank the ice tea, and the neighbor was there and said the official told everyone not to drink the water, but to boil it because of dangerous bacteria, and you feel like you are going to explode inside.

              The nurse leaves you alone in your misery. You sit there and your life passes before your eyes. You think of the people you love, the fun things you did, the things you wish you wouldn't have done. And things you left un-done...even the partially beaded item left behind.

              And so you leave to use the restroom over and over again, waiting for them to come back. The nurse sticks her head in the door and confirms your address.

              They bring a medicine in a paper cup and say drink this. You do...but to you, it is a golden chalice, holding the cup in two hands, wondering if it is the elixir of life...to save you...and you know in your heart of hearts, that they were doing the very best that medicine could do. So you finish it.

              An official from the water department had been called in the middle of the night. The nurse tells you the good news. He was telling residents in your neighborhood that the boil water warning was for next week. There was nothing dangerous about the water supply.

              Suddenly, you realize the elixir to preserve your life tasted a lot like Pepto Bismol.

              So your daughter is laughing. She laughs all the way home while you drive. She goes in to catch a few winks before the sun comes up. You stand there in the living room and look at all the beads and wonder if perhaps you can bead tomorrow night.

              You lament that you can't have your blood drawn because you drank the elixir of life after midnight. You find out that the phone call was not from your Spanish speaking neighbor but a wrong number. And the more you think of it, maybe he was saying in English "Go to Hell", not hospital.
              docat,
              Thanks for the warm welcome back message. Geesh, you have all of the fun! What do i have when I bead?.....A nice , quiet condo all to myself (except for when my parents are in town), powwow cd's playing or the tv on, or beading at the museum (mostly calm and quiet..with people occassionally stopping by to check out what I'm working on & asking questions...What do I have to deal with? Beady eyes telling me that it is time to stop beading even if i am having so much fun that I don't want to stop, and little things like having to rip work out when it doesn't line up and is preventing me from moving on because the rest of the design won't fit....Trivial little things lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Suzizila View Post
                docat,
                Thanks for the warm welcome back message. Geesh, you have all of the fun! What do i have when I bead?.....A nice , quiet condo all to myself (except for when my parents are in town), powwow cd's playing or the tv on, or beading at the museum (mostly calm and quiet..with people occassionally stopping by to check out what I'm working on & asking questions...What do I have to deal with? Beady eyes telling me that it is time to stop beading even if i am having so much fun that I don't want to stop, and little things like having to rip work out when it doesn't line up and is preventing me from moving on because the rest of the design won't fit....Trivial little things lol
                Glad you are back. You were really missed! You need to bring your beady eyes over to powwows more often! :)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Forgottengermanwoman View Post
                  Don't you hate it when...

                  you sit night by night beading a loving beaded gift for your man and later find out his adopted non ndn brother got hold of it and threw it away.
                  I remember you mentioning this before...except you said he was a "white nobody."

                  I hope you didn't give up! My NDN daughter has thrown out stuff that she thought was trash too. Some things look awful until they get closer to done. In fact, I gotta tell you this...for a lot of things I do, I make samples to see what the pattern looks like. If my pattern isn't want I want, I want to make adjustments before I actually do the bigger piece.

                  I recently made 2 chokers in bias weave...they are woven in the diagonal. I warped up a sample of my pattern and then on the other side of the pattern, I made a sample of the second choker. I'll break the threads later and save the beads, but sometimes the practice does make perfect. You can plot till the cows come home with bias weave or peyote, but it really really helps to actually see a little bit of what it will look like first.

                  So you gotta forgive and go on and remember that they are JUST beads and thread...believe me, I had to keep saying that over and over again when it happened to me...now it is kinda funny because when we mention it, I have to admit, what I had produced at that juncture was NOT much above trash level.

                  She felt really bad too. Poor little thing. You just have to put things into perspective. So I hope you don't stop beading because of a bad experience. It's a lot of fun!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by docat View Post
                    I remember you mentioning this before...except you said he was a "white nobody."

                    I hope you didn't give up! My NDN daughter has thrown out stuff that she thought was trash too. Some things look awful until they get closer to done. In fact, I gotta tell you this...for a lot of things I do, I make samples to see what the pattern looks like. If my pattern isn't want I want, I want to make adjustments before I actually do the bigger piece.

                    I recently made 2 chokers in bias weave...they are woven in the diagonal. I warped up a sample of my pattern and then on the other side of the pattern, I made a sample of the second choker. I'll break the threads later and save the beads, but sometimes the practice does make perfect. You can plot till the cows come home with bias weave or peyote, but it really really helps to actually see a little bit of what it will look like first.

                    So you gotta forgive and go on and remember that they are JUST beads and thread...believe me, I had to keep saying that over and over again when it happened to me...now it is kinda funny because when we mention it, I have to admit, what I had produced at that juncture was NOT much above trash level.

                    She felt really bad too. Poor little thing. You just have to put things into perspective. So I hope you don't stop beading because of a bad experience. It's a lot of fun!
                    I understand what you write. Lovely yes I liked that. I haven't beaded ever since I made that thing for my Exhusband. Since I live in Germany and am not in touch with any NDN people in Germany, I see no reason to bead anything for germans. Hm... maybe if I can get hold again of a beading frame which I had, just a small one I may make something again. After a long time being very patient with everything - at the moment I do not have any patience at all. What I beaded was a leather bracelet for my man then, but it was not complete, that reminds me of what you wrote, just something maybe, just above trash level, but no, it was made with love for him and I don't hold grudges against his brother, no not even against those that hurted me. All there is is that I am sad about people who don't understand what they are doing to others when they hurt them on purpose. Thank you for your loving reply.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Forgottengermanwoman View Post
                      Since I live in Germany and am not in touch with any NDN people in Germany, I see no reason to bead anything for germans. Hm... maybe if I can get hold again of a beading frame which I had, just a small one I may make something again.
                      You don't have to bead for others if you don't want to. The act of beading is very rewarding, even if you aren't making the beadwork for someone special. You don't need a frame or a loom if you don't want to buy equipment. Peyote beadwork takes nothing other than thread and a needle and seed beads. In fact, you can put all your gear in a tin box for mints...very portable so that you can take it places with you.

                      I just made two chokers in bias weave...I use an office supply regular clip board, threads, needle and the beads in a small tin. I didn't make them for anyone in particular. I wanted to work on bias weave. So you can simply keep your things for yourself like I do...or you could eventually sell them. I see beadwork for sale all the time on ebay and etsy as well as locally. Not all of it is NDN made, some is, some isn't. But you can still sell your work if you want to.

                      We're all here in this section to encourage you too. Perhaps see if you can get some seed beads and a needle. Peyote instructions are on youtube, some really good instructions too. Your English is excellent, so you should be able to follow it. It does take practice, and you just might find that you enjoy it!

                      In fact, you might find it addicting! You can ask our beady eyed Original Poster, Suzizila. When she disappears for a week, I worry that she has beaded herself into oblivion. LOL

                      Seriously, I hope you will consider starting again and giving it another try. There is more to beading than producing a gift for someone, even though that is lovely too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by docat View Post
                        You don't have to bead for others if you don't want to. The act of beading is very rewarding, even if you aren't making the beadwork for someone special. You don't need a frame or a loom if you don't want to buy equipment. Peyote beadwork takes nothing other than thread and a needle and seed beads. In fact, you can put all your gear in a tin box for mints...very portable so that you can take it places with you.

                        I just made two chokers in bias weave...I use an office supply regular clip board, threads, needle and the beads in a small tin. I didn't make them for anyone in particular. I wanted to work on bias weave. So you can simply keep your things for yourself like I do...or you could eventually sell them. I see beadwork for sale all the time on ebay and etsy as well as locally. Not all of it is NDN made, some is, some isn't. But you can still sell your work if you want to.

                        We're all here in this section to encourage you too. Perhaps see if you can get some seed beads and a needle. Peyote instructions are on youtube, some really good instructions too. Your English is excellent, so you should be able to follow it. It does take practice, and you just might find that you enjoy it!

                        In fact, you might find it addicting! You can ask our beady eyed Original Poster, Suzizila. When she disappears for a week, I worry that she has beaded herself into oblivion. LOL

                        Seriously, I hope you will consider starting again and giving it another try. There is more to beading than producing a gift for someone, even though that is lovely too.
                        Wasting away again in beady junkieville,
                        looking for my lost needle eye,
                        trying to get the last section of work done,
                        with my poor beady eyes........

                        (This beading version of Jimmy Buffet's tune is dedicated to all of my beady eyed friends at powwows.com)

                        docat, you better check in on me from time to time. I may have gotten into beading so much that I will have become solidly beaded & won't be able to move. (My dad always said....You don't want to stand around her too long..because you might get beaded) Well, what if there's no one standing around me. Am I a danger to myself? LOL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Suzizila View Post
                          Wasting away again in beady junkieville,
                          looking for my lost needle eye,
                          trying to get the last section of work done,
                          with my poor beady eyes........
                          Am I a danger to myself? LOL
                          Some people say it's the iron to blame...
                          but you know....it's the pellon's fault.

                          LOL

                          When I was working on my chokers, a man asked me if it would be possible to bead a choker together to look seamless, so it couldn't be removed without breaking the threads...evidently, he was afraid he'd leave a choker somewhere...sort of like a tattoo that isn't totally permanent.

                          I said yes, it could be done, and I immediately thought of you beading something he couldn't get out of without the jaws of life! I think if it could be done, you could do it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by docat View Post
                            You don't have to bead for others if you don't want to. The act of beading is very rewarding, even if you aren't making the beadwork for someone special. You don't need a frame or a loom if you don't want to buy equipment. Peyote beadwork takes nothing other than thread and a needle and seed beads. In fact, you can put all your gear in a tin box for mints...very portable so that you can take it places with you.

                            I just made two chokers in bias weave...I use an office supply regular clip board, threads, needle and the beads in a small tin. I didn't make them for anyone in particular. I wanted to work on bias weave. So you can simply keep your things for yourself like I do...or you could eventually sell them. I see beadwork for sale all the time on ebay and etsy as well as locally. Not all of it is NDN made, some is, some isn't. But you can still sell your work if you want to.

                            We're all here in this section to encourage you too. Perhaps see if you can get some seed beads and a needle. Peyote instructions are on youtube, some really good instructions too. Your English is excellent, so you should be able to follow it. It does take practice, and you just might find that you enjoy it!

                            In fact, you might find it addicting! You can ask our beady eyed Original Poster, Suzizila. When she disappears for a week, I worry that she has beaded herself into oblivion. LOL

                            Seriously, I hope you will consider starting again and giving it another try. There is more to beading than producing a gift for someone, even though that is lovely too.
                            You are writing nice things here to me, thanks, I was thinking about going to a whatchacallit? Hobby store to get some pearls and take up beading again. It seems like a good idea and it does need a lot of patience to bead. Okay I will try to find out about those different ways of beadwork. If I actually manage to get something started and finish, I am not really into wanting to see anything. At this point I think it's just too personal than wanting to sell things I make. Hm... I really am not a sales person. I think I know what you mean when you say there is more to beading..., thanks for your concern and support.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Spiritflight View Post
                              You are writing nice things here to me, thanks, I was thinking about going to a whatchacallit? Hobby store to get some pearls and take up beading again. It seems like a good idea and it does need a lot of patience to bead. Okay I will try to find out about those different ways of beadwork.
                              Spiritflight (Oh, I really do love your new name! It becomes you better!), if it has been awhile since you've done any beading, there is a really good website out there called Native Tech and they have good instructions as well as youtube. I couldn't get over the professional looking tutorials on youtube for peyote stitch.

                              It might take some patience to begin beading, but once you start, it's something that really takes off! Be sure to share pictures of what you are beading when you feel comfortable to do so!

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • NDNQt
                                "The Stance" - for all the women!
                                by NDNQt
                                Only a woman will TRULY relate to the following, but it's a "hoot" for all!

                                My mother was a fanatic about public toilets. As a little girl, she'd bring me in the stall, teach me to wad up toilet paper and wipe the seat. Then, she'd carefully lay strips of toilet paper to cover...
                                06-24-2004, 01:31 PM
                              • SmokeEater
                                Since we're talking about feminine dressing habits.
                                by SmokeEater
                                Since we are on the subject of the dressing habits of the female gender...

                                Why does it take sooooooo long to get dressed? Now I am not trying to dig up that old cliche that has been material for has been comedians for nearly a decade now, about women taking so long to dress... But why...
                                10-28-2004, 03:29 AM
                              • whitewave
                                The Awakening...
                                by whitewave
                                I didn't write this, a friend of mine did....but I LOVE it and I wanted to share :)

                                Dear Ones,


                                A time comes in your life when you finally get it...
                                When in the midst of all your fears and insanity you
                                Stop dead in your tracks and somewhere, the voice...
                                04-27-2007, 06:44 PM
                              • FAITH
                                Something to read
                                by FAITH
                                My daughter sent these to me so thought i would share them you may have read them already but someone hasn't :rofl2:A couple from Minneapolis decided to go to Florida for a long weekend to
                                thaw out during one particularly icy winter. They planned to stay at the
                                very same hotel where...
                                03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
                              • Indigenous97
                                Pick a fruit...
                                by Indigenous97
                                Here is something a co-worker sent me........
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                PICK BEFORE YOU PEEK

                                Pick a fruit and forward it on with the fruit you chose on the subject line.

                                Which fruit will you pick if you...
                                03-19-2004, 09:08 AM

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X