X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
    Earth, Hitler, 1938.
    "Cry havoc, and let slip the Dogs of War."

Yes, I have the t-shirt that says nerd to go with that. I return you to your regularly scheduled brouhaha.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 02-09-2013, 06:39 AM.

Comment

zeke:
      SELF-RIGHTEOUS(injun): a feeling of smug moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs and actions are of greater virtue.

I feel the need to correct ONE of the many things that you posted that are incorrect. In replying to my statement that my unchi would probably kill anyone who would reveal any part of the Sundance to those outside the Lakota tribe you wrote: "I would invite him to try. Precisely how do you know what anyone intended, long ago?"
      FWIW & FYI Unchi = Grandmother, a she not a he.
      If you were aware of Lakota culture you would know how much value and meaning the Sundance has to our traditions. Over the years much if not all of this value has been reduced to litte if anything.
      How do I know what anyone long ago intended? I was raised in a traditional (as opposed to the current modernized, anything goes Lakota life) Lakota household for all of my youth until I left for college to persue a life in the white world. Those items that are of great value to our TRADTIONAL identity have been ingrained in me and will never leave. They make me who I am today. Not better than anyone else, but instead, their equal.
      Looking at the beautiful picture of your face included in your profile, I take it you are pretty young and therefore might not have the same type of Traditional upbringing. If I am wrong, excuse me, but I think in this case I might be right. In reading through your other posts you seem to enjoy aggreviating those who either seek knowledge or have that knowledge to share.
      While your words indicate a good education, your posts seem to harbor some sort of anomosity towards other Indians. That I have noticed is common and while I might not agree with your approach you have every right to post as you please.
      But I have one request to make of you...please refrain from replying to any of my serious requests for information unless you do so to provide information I am seeking. Others who have replied have taught me much that I did not know as it relates to this symbol. The only interest you seem to have in this thread is to belittle me or to question my values. To me that is totally uncalled for and seriously not appreciated. I have no desire whatsoever to waste my time replying to your fragmented replies that are taken out of context in order to prove your mental superiority.
      Education is a good thing for us as it is not readily available to all, but when you use that education to belittle or question another posters value you end up revealing a deep seated anomosity towards others.

Peace out.
      "Sometimes the character of the opposition defines why something ought to be the most politically viable thing in the world that needs to be changed"

Comment

Earth, Hitler, 1938.[/b]
        Originally posted by OLChemist View Post

Yes, I have the t-shirt that says nerd to go with that. I return you to your regularly scheduled brouhaha.
        There are wonderful and terrible elements in this thread:

I am guessing we have more men in the beading section than ever before! Thanks for your beading support, guys!

Posters are quoting Star Trek and Shakespeare.

It is entertaining to have fun hurling insults and poking virtual sticks in the eye (and other places) of the enemy. Some are pushing to the point of virtual burning; the regular torture is getting boring...Pass the popcorn, please.

We haven't had that much excitement in the beading section for some time. I think we should start a controversial thread with a beading twist once a week.

The lurking ethnologists and missionaries checking to see if we are really still savages or not are NOT invited.

Comment

Using a stage actor was a nice touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Elo Janis View Post
            zeke:
            SELF-RIGHTEOUS(injun): a feeling of smug moral superiority derived from a sense that one's beliefs and actions are of greater virtue.
            Need that mirror, again? Are you SO blind that you are unable to see that YOU are the individual doing this? Asking people to think -- as is my well known code -- isn't "morally superior."

I feel the need to correct ONE of the many things that you posted that are incorrect. In replying to my statement that my unchi would probably kill anyone who would reveal any part of the Sundance to those outside the Lakota tribe you wrote: "I would invite him to try. Precisely how do you know what anyone intended, long ago?"
            FWIW & FYI Unchi = Grandmother, a she not a he.
            Bad phonetic spellings of non-English words generate misunderstandings. My point does not: SHE is "invited to try." Better?

If you were aware of Lakota culture you would know how much value and meaning the Sundance has to our traditions. Over the years much if not all of this value has been reduced to litte if anything.
            Then why the ongoing whining about spilled milk?

How do I know what anyone long ago intended? I was raised in a traditional (as opposed to the current modernized, anything goes Lakota life) Lakota household for all of my youth until I left for college to persue a life in the white world. Those items that are of great value to our TRADTIONAL identity have been ingrained in me and will never leave. They make me who I am today. Not better than anyone else, but instead, their equal.
            Actually, at best, they just make you different. If these things do not allow you to prosper in "current" and "modernized" Lakota life, I would think them a hindrance. But I do see where you've been brainwashed. It's not "the white world," it's The World. Perceive the difference?

Query: this is not a judgment but did you graduate from college? Most folks with your attitude use their "traditional" background to drop out, go home, do nothing and blame the white man OR get multiple degrees, move to NYC or CA, and make a cottage industry out of being the persecuted Native existing in what they call an oppressor culture. Fit either model?

Looking at the beautiful picture of your face included in your profile, I take it you are pretty young and therefore might not have the same type of Traditional upbringing. If I am wrong, excuse me, but I think in this case I might be right. In reading through your other posts you seem to enjoy aggreviating those who either seek knowledge or have that knowledge to share.
            I'm going to presume I am not as young as you might think. In terms of seeking or sharing knowledge I believe anyone here will tell you I am a fan. That said, knowledge comes with a price: you have to drop the naivete. If no longer being naive aggravates folks that is merely the price of knowledge. I accept that, being someone who has long ago dropped the Native romanticism that many still carry.

While your words indicate a good education, your posts seem to harbor some sort of anomosity towards other Indians. That I have noticed is common and while I might not agree with your approach you have every right to post as you please.
            I admit to some animosity towards some other Indians. Typically, that would be the closed-minded whiners who romanticize pre-Colombian life, treat tradition as a religion, fail to see beyond their government defined borders, fear growth and otherwise are embarrassing targets for Natural Selection. I am not a huge fan of such folk, especially when they try elitism.

But I have one request to make of you...please refrain from replying to any of my serious requests for information unless you do so to provide information I am seeking.
            Uh, "no." That you don't like proffered data is part and parcel of asking for it. YOU started this diatribe with folks by calling answers received "sarcastic" and "useless" because they didn't go along with your preconceived ideas. You sought validation, not information. That's YOUR fault.

Others who have replied have taught me much that I did not know as it relates to this symbol. The only interest you seem to have in this thread is to belittle me or to question my values. To me that is totally uncalled for and seriously not appreciated. I have no desire whatsoever to waste my time replying to your fragmented replies that are taken out of context in order to prove your mental superiority.
            It's hard to "take something out of context" when it's copied word-for-word in sequential order. Your lame debate buzzword phrase falls flat as defense, as does "waste my time replying." Basically, you've been given a standing eight count and, now, desire to beg off because you're cut.

As for proving anything, now you show more fear. You realize I don't have to prove anything? None of this is about me. To a great extent, it's not even about you. It's about the future and negating the impact of traditionalism as religious mantra. I don't care what you do but disavowing thought and growth in others via metaphorical strict Constitutionalism as righteousness is going to get called, every time.

Natural Selection.

Education is a good thing for us as it is not readily available to all, but when you use that education to belittle or question another posters value you end up revealing a deep seated anomosity towards others.

Peace out.
            Education is readily available to anyone who wants it, you're spewing whiny rez/Native crap, again.

If you find the questioning of your values to be belittling then your values aren't very strong. Put on your Big Boy pants.

Animosity? Only towards those described above. If that's you, it isn't my fault.

Comment

Off topic: Garlic smells... when the first turkish men flooded Germany for work as "called-in-workers" with the option to go back to their home country after work contracts had ended - they also knew how to germand away from getting too close, they chewed garlic, so we who didn't know about their garlic chewing traditions often enough changed seats on trains to escape the smell - that happened back in the 1970's. Nowadays many germans cook with garlic and those turkish men brought over their wives, parents, children and produced more and more children. Many of them still keep within their own way of life within german communities - but strange enough, that smell of garlic has dissapeared too, well... hum...

My suggestion - chew lots of garlic to keep unwanted people away - and a supposingly healthy weapon too - it keeps the blood thin -

------------------------------------------------------------------
              My Dakota Exhubby recently told me about him having done the sun dance and a bit about how they do it - well that was between the years we haven't heard of each other and some month ago - we're out of communication again since he said he got a very jealous ndn girlfriend. Hum...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritflight View Post
                My suggestion - chew lots of garlic to keep unwanted people away...
                Or logic.

You would be surprised by how many people hate logic...

Comment

Or logic.

You would be surprised by how many people hate logic...
                  Logic, reality, truth... All things that some people aren't in favor of.

Comment

Originally posted by docat View Post
                    I am guessing we have more men in the beading section than ever before! Thanks for your beading support, guys!
                    :) I guess I should have said, nerdette, LOL.

Originally posted by docat View Post
                    We haven't had that much excitement in the beading section for some time. I think we should start a controversial thread with a beading twist once a week.

Yeah, we can't seem to stir much passion over different types of thread, LOL.

Comment

Yeah, we can't seem to stir much passion over different types of thread, LOL.
                      Oh, but you couldn't be more wrong, sister nerdette.

Some are very passionate about Nymo thread and others like the tensile strength of WildFire, finding the memory in Nymo thread to be reprehensible. And among us, we have a few traditionalists who prefer the feel and natural virtues of real sinew.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritflight View Post
                        Off topic: Garlic smells... when the first turkish men flooded Germany for work as "called-in-workers" with the option to go back to their home country after work contracts had ended - they also knew how to germand away from getting too close, they chewed garlic, so we who didn't know about their garlic chewing traditions often enough changed seats on trains to escape the smell - that happened back in the 1970's. Nowadays many germans cook with garlic and those turkish men brought over their wives, parents, children and produced more and more children. Many of them still keep within their own way of life within german communities - but strange enough, that smell of garlic has dissapeared too, well... hum...

My suggestion - chew lots of garlic to keep unwanted people away - and a supposingly healthy weapon too - it keeps the blood thin -

------------------------------------------------------------------
                        My Dakota Exhubby recently told me about him having done the sun dance and a bit about how they do it - well that was between the years we haven't heard of each other and some month ago - we're out of communication again since he said he got a very jealous ndn girlfriend. Hum...
                        We used to chew garlic, one of my great-grandfather's was from Constantinople--he always called it that! He came over when they were killing the all the Greek sons. He used to call the onion the Greek Apple and eat them like apples. I wondered about that garlic chewing thing, it was like a joke to him, we used to do it as kids. He spoke 5 languages but was considered uneducated. thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Originally posted by muskrat_skull View Post
                          Well, I may be out on a limb here, but I think the symbol is of importance and a spiritual symbol, and while a decision was made in the past, maybe it should be revisited. Someone posted a great article on here about reclaiming the "swastika". This is another way of overcoming the bad things the symbol has been associated with.

It was ignorance and racism that caused an association between the wheel of life or whirling logs and the swastika, so why let the spirit of that ignorance and racism live on, through avoidance, and ever change cultures, who are threatened enough as it is? Haven't other cultures tried to put enough shame on Indians? Do we need another thing to be shamed about or mad about?
                          Assigning or reassigning positive meaning to it could be a healing thing in a larger way.

I think it was good the symbol was abandoned at the time, it was extremely compassionate to do this. It was a great sacrifice. But in an age with Nazi games and movies and all kinds of painful reminders, is the respectful use of a symbol similar to one that was misappropriated in the first place hurtful to anyone? I don't know.
                          I think if you are reacting to the symbol, yes. But if you stop and think about it, you can make a conscious choice to recognize its prior use in many cultures and the positive side and this creates a positive mental imprint for the symbol, which appears in its proper cultural context.
                          It may not be comfortable, but is it wrong? I don't know. Otherwise, to this day, most people are conditioned by mainstream society to react with shame and horror at the sight of it, and this bad feeling becomes associated with things and people that don't deserve this.
                          [MENTION=127906]muskrat_skull[/MENTION],
                          I wanted to express my sincere appreciation to you (and a few others) for looking into the origins of this symbol for me and for posting all of your respectfully worded, extremely educational and positive responses to my original question. All of which I have read many times.
                          I thank you for taking time out of your life to help me come to a better understanding of it's long history and how it related to our people!
                          Your posts, this one in particular, have been thought provoking and of great assistance to me as I am now seriously reconsidering it's inclusion on a few pieces of her regalia...the leggings in particular, just as it was a part of our original family design on my GGG Unchi's dress.
                          I agree with your statements which led me to question "why should we allow the world's most hated regime whose despicable actions were almost successful in wiping out an entire race of people?
                          This hate fueled negative group of people who stole the symbol from us and proceeded to soil it's original meaning from one of beauty and positivity to one that has been associated with the hate and intolerance they proudly displayed to the rest of the world.
                          I too feel if we continue to shy away from using it on our regalia, in a huge way we give them to power to continue to push their hateful belief system into our lives and in their own way, continue to ruin the tradition of adornment and honor so common to the original inhabitants of this country.
                          So again, many thanks for your assistance in my search for the meaning of a symbol whose use, up to this time was foreign to me.
                          "Sometimes the character of the opposition defines why something ought to be the most politically viable thing in the world that needs to be changed"

Comment

Originally posted by Fang View Post

On one hand I understand what you are saying. I have seen a few (and only a few) dancers who do have native blood, but who have picked and chosen different aspects of their regalia to use without proper understanding of where the designs and colors come from. They watch youtube videos or go to intertribals and look at designs/colors/footwork/etc. and incorporate those into their own personal regalia- which in addition to copying and stealing, also may not be from their particular tribe. As such, they are not staying true to their tribe(s), to themselves, and are disrespecting others.

***THIS IS WHAT I AM REFERRING TO, PEOPLE WHO FEEL IT IS PROPER TO PICK ITEMS FROM ANOTHER TRIBE AND USE THEM #1) WITHOUT FULLY REALIZING THE SIGNIFICANCE OF SUCH DESIGNS AND WHAT THE COLORS/DESIGN/STYLE MEAN TO THE DANCER, THEIR FAMILIES AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THEIR RESPECTIVE TRIBES. WHILE I AGREE IMITATION IS THE TRUEST FORM OF FLATTERY, IN OUR CULTURE WHERE EACH PIECE OF OUR REGALIA HAS DEEP MEANING AND IS SACRED TO THAT PARTICULAR TRIBE THEN THAT HAS TO BE CONSIDERED WRONG AND WRONG IN A BIG WAY.

However, the way you word it sounds as though if we are from more than one tribe, we must pick which side of our family we wish to represent, and cast out the other part of us. Perhaps I am mistaken, but is this what you are saying?

***NO, THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEAN. BUT IF WE ARE A COMBINATION OF DIFFERENT TRIBES WHEN WE ARE DANCING HOW DO WE GO ABOUT REPRESENTING BOTH SIDES WITHOUT INCURRING THE NEGATIVE WRATH OF EITHER SIDE FOR INCORPORATING PARTS THE OTHER TRIBES, (OF WHOM WE ARE A PART OF). WHILE IT MIGHT BE DONE BY THE DANCER WITH INNOCENCE AS THE BASIS FOR DOING SO, SAY THE CHOSEN PART IS ONLY TO BE USED DURING A SACRED CEREMONY...WOULD THIS BE A POINT OF CONTENTION BY AN ELDER WHO KNOWS THE MEANINGS OF EVERY SINGLE PART OF THE DANCERS OUTFIT. AND WHEN CONFRONTED BY AN ELDER FOR DOING THE WRONG MIXING HOW WOULD ONE GO ABOUT CORRECTING THIS MISTAKE? I SAY THAT AS MANY OF OUR MOST TALENTED DANCERS NOW ARE YOUNG AND MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD THE BENEFIT OF BEING GUIDED BY THEIR TRIBAL ELDER OR OTHER OLDER MEMBERS WHO KNOW THE CORRECT WAYS OF SAID TRIBE.***

While certainly, we should 'stay true' to our representation, and wear our regalia with honor and pride as we represent our tribe and ancestors. But despite being from many different nations, we are still all one people. If you or I happened to be Lakota on one parents side, and Crow/Apache/Cree/Lumbee/ or Piscataway on the other side, why should we honor one of our ancestors, but not the other? Are you saying we should hold one in higher regard than the other? While certainly it may look strange to wear half of one style regalia and half of another (and I would not suggest that), I think it is possible to honor more than one side of your heritage at once, so long as you completely understand what you are doing, what it means, why, and be respectful in doing so.

***I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH THIS STATEMENT. CERTAINLY WHEN WE PERSONALLY CONSTRUCT OUR REGALIA IT SHOULD BE DONE IN A MANNER THAT WOULD MAKE THE ELDER OF EACH TRIBE PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE ASSEMBLED. I AM ALL FOR REPRESENTING YOUR BACKGROUND AS YOU CHOSE TO...THAT IS YOUR OWN GIVEN RIGHT TO DO AS YOU PLEASE AND TO HONOR BOTH SIDES OF YOUR TRIBE. BUT DONT YOU THINK IT IS A HARD THING TO DO AND WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO MIX, REPRESENT AND CELEBRATE WHO EACH OF US IS? I KNOW FROM VAST EXPERIENCE THAT WHEN ONE IS CREATING A NEW OUTFIT ONE PUTS A HUGE PART OF ONES SELF INTO IT. THAT MAKES YOU UNIQUE AND BEAUTIFUL, BUT ONE HAS TO BE VERY CAREFUL SO AS NOT TO BE SEEN AS INGORANT TO ANY ONE PART OF EITHER TRIBE YOU ARE REPRESENTING.***

Mixing the colors of two tribes in your regalia can show the mixing of the two tribes inside of you. This is just my opinion on the topic though. But I feel that if (and this does not go for everyone of course) some of us are to only choose one side of ourselves, we are only dancing with half of our spirit. We should be proud and honor all of who we are in a respectful manner, without shunning one side of us. We should dance for all that created us. We should dance for our parents, our grandparents, our cousins... on both sides of our families without picking and choosing as if one is greater than the other. We should dance for all those who need healing, dance for all of our ancestors, dance for those who can't dance anymore, and dance for those who may have lost their way. But perhaps you disagree, and that's okay too.
                            ***WELL SAID AND I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH YOU. I ONLY HOPE THAT WHILE DOING SO WE STILL RETAIN THE ORIGINAL MEANINGS OF NOT ONLY THE REGALIA BUT THAT WE SHOW THE KNOWLEDGE OF EACH TRIBE AND STAY TRUE TO THE TEACHINGS OF OUR ELDERS***
                            Thank you for your well thought out post and for making your point without any sort of belittling manner. While we will always have different points of view on the same subject to be able to freely and comfortably state your point without having each and every part of your post torn apart and scrutinized to the point of having your thoughts manipulated to the point that no relevance can be realized.
                            Having been part of many, many online forums over the years, many of them political in nature, even being moderator at a couple of them, I am aware of the many different ways posters can chose (in most incidences towards new posters) to degrade and attempt to silence those whose opinions one might think irrelevant and to attempt to run them off the site.
                            I only hope this is not what is happening to me by a few posters on this thread as I intend to be a member of this forum for some time to come. Believe me I am not lumping you into this category as you have been nothing but kind and respectful of my posts.
                            So thank you for your thought provoking posts and I hope that any conflict and difference of opinions we might have will not end up with you thinking I am little more than a trouble making troll. I started this thread seeking meaning of a symbol that was pictured on a dress one of my ancestors wore as I was not aware of it's use prior to seeing this picture.
                            I was only seeking knowledge and did not expect to see this thread turning into an entertaining smack down with so much MISUNDERSTANDING and CONFLICT being spread by a few (offended or offensive) posters.
                            Peace to those who took this thread for what is was intended...only as a means of education for a few facts that I was not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by lbgood View Post
                              I'm not trying to be mean, at this point I am just trying to understand. You have strong views as stated above in your posts, but yet you choose to go to the internet to obtain said information (with regard to your family) which in above statements you feel it is better discussed in private and its effect on its relevants. One can spew their diatribe, but you cant have it both ways and be taken seriously!
                              It should not be hard to understand the original meaning of this thread at all. I was seriously not aware of the use of a swastika by any Indian tribes having only known of it's use by Nazi Germans. Once I realized and understood their rape of said symbol I no longer had any use for it in my life and did not pursue it any further.
                              I was being serious when I stated I was not aware that the symbol was used by many different cultures decades and centuries prior to the Nazis adopting it for use by their sadistic and violent killing machine army. I was only asking if anyone on this forum had prior knowledge of its use by their tribes on their own regalia.
                              I started this thread ONLY to gain input from those who were familiar with the use of this symbol. I did not use the thread as a personal one the same way I would use conversation with my family members who when I contacted them were happy to help me find the personal reason this symbol was added to this one dress this one time. I used the internet to research the meanings and origins of the symbol in question but I did not use nor did I expect anyone here to offer the personal family reasons this symbol was used. If it would satisfy your curiousity as to how and when I started contacting various family members to find why it was used by my family, it is all contained in a few posts made by myself where I explained what I found out. While the use of the symbol was indeed a very personal one I did include the story I was told by a distant family member I was fortunate enough to be able to reach. That portion of the quest for information was satisfied by a family member and not one from here.
                              Unfortunately the thread, with the help of some feisty posters, took on an ugly and embarrassing turn and much of it was used as an attack vehicle against me, a relatively newer poster.
                              As I stated in answer to a previous poster who acted in a responsible manner when addressing me, I have been a member of many, many internet message forums most of them political in nature. In a few cases I was appointed moderator as my contributions were deemed valuable and I displayed the appropriate maturity level to do so fairly without bias.

I have no need to defend myself against those who chose to behave in any sort of malicious and derogatory manner. I vehemently oppose people both on the internet and in real life who chose to treat their fellow humans in a vicious manner and who make it a point to use their own education and way with words to belittle and attempt to chase members away from using the forum as a form of education, enlightenment and entertainment.
                              I have a very low tolerance level for people who take a perverse pleasure in making others appear to be less educated or knowledgeable about the subjects being discussed.
                              Having said that, from this point forward, while I will continue to post here, I will not carry on any discussion with people who do behave in this manner. I enjoy this site and the discussions that are had here and have every intention of staying here for some time in the future.
                              Just as in real life, not everyone will get along but for personal reasons I just do not possess the tolerance required for those who chose to act in a reprehensible manner.
                              I will take this time to apologize to those I might have offended while I was defending my own beliefs and the stand I took while I was seeking information on the use by Native American Tribes who used this symbol on their regalia. Since I have received the information I need to continue my work on some leggings I am in the middle of beading, I will no longer visit this thread as any further hassles are simply a waste of my time.
                              Peace out to those who were of great assistance and to those who chose to take an ugly path, good day!!
                              Last edited by Elo Janis; 02-11-2013, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Zeke,
                                As tempting as it might have been for my Unchi to take you up on your challenge to defend herself against you, that wouldn't happen as she passed in 1983. But I have to say I did have a good laugh at someone of your age and standing calling out an 80 yo woman! And I am sure she did as well from heaven where she is with the Great Spirit, as her wicked sense of humor was made even stronger when dealing with someone of your caliber.

zeke:
                                "Query: this is not a judgment but did you graduate from college? Most folks with your attitude use their "traditional" background to drop out, go home, do nothing and blame the white man OR get multiple degrees, move to NYC or CA, and make a cottage industry out of being the persecuted Native existing in what they call an oppressor culture. Fit either model?

Yes, I did graduate college with double Bachelor of Science Degrees. The first in Economics and the second in Political Science, both from well regarded Institutions. Actually I begin my graduate work towards an MBA, but as life would have it, I found my calling with a General Management position in a five star restaurant located in a prestigious Hotel with locations around the country as well as locations in prime International locales.
                                Since I thoroughly enjoyed the food service industry, I focused all my time and energy towards this Management position and put aside my pursuit of the MBA on the back burner.
                                I might resume work on that MBA in the future, but for now I am adjusting life around the heart problems I suffered (having had a heart attack and a pacemaker installed in late October of this past year) and other health problems I am currently learning to living with.
                                At this point I am on an extended disability leave and am not sure exactly which direction my life will take.
                                When I realized I truly enjoyed a career in the Restaurant Industry, I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Restaurant and Hospitality Management and it is in this Industry that I have enjoyed a fantastic life full of travel and the opportunity of meeting many of the people I grew up admiring.
                                Hope that satisfies your query and contrary to the 'box' you attempted to place me in, neither scenario you mentioned applies in any way to me. I have never gone home feeling persecuted nor do I blamed the white man for anything at all.
                                I have never subscribed to the idea of being an oppressed Native and if anything, I realize and blame those types of self inflicted stereotypes for tending to keep us tucked conveniently away from the prosperous life we all can hope for.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.