Do you bead on first layer of paper or pellon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac_miss
    Happy Beading Woman
    • Mar 2003

Do you bead on first layer of paper or pellon?

I've noticed in several FB beading groups, that some people bead on pellon first. I used to bead this way when i first started beading, but after a trip up north, I noticed that a crown maker beaded on paper first (paper over pellon). I figured that would be so much easier to draw out my designs and then bead on them. It has changed my life! LOL.

Anyways, was just curious how your process goes.
    Bead All You Can Bead
  • wardancer
    I'm still here with Eyes!
    • Sep 2000

My patterns are usually just in my head ! I never know for sure what something will look like till it's done ! LOL
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• Josiah
      Powwow Dude
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
      I've noticed in several FB beading groups, that some people bead on pellon first. I used to bead this way when i first started beading, but after a trip up north, I noticed that a crown maker beaded on paper first (paper over pellon). I figured that would be so much easier to draw out my designs and then bead on them. It has changed my life! LOL.

I bead over paper if i am beading a detailed design helps me keep everything even!
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

• blueberry111
        blueberry
        • Mar 2013

I draw out the design on paper then pin it to the project and bead over that if it's stiff felt... Makes it alot easier! But, if its leather beading or quills, I draw out the design on the leather

Comment

• EquaySunshine
          Tiny Tot Dancer
          • Jan 2012

Nish Style

I am from Northern Michigan...the way I was taught is to use paper over a fabric stabilizer (I use EZ felt - It's much cheaper than pellon and works just as well). You make your design on paper (tracing paper for mocs) then stitch it to the material, then start beading. I remove the stitches from the paper design and the remaining paper when I'm done beading.

If I'm beading mocs the tracing paper is on top of the skin vamp and the fabric stabilizer is under the skin. This way your vamp is nice and flat so the beadwork doesn't end up all crinkly.

It also helps secure the beadwork and you don't end up pulling too tight and this makes your beads nice and flat...otherwise I notice I pull too tight and I get bumpy beadwork. I guess I have a strong hand at times :)

Comment

• EquaySunshine
            Tiny Tot Dancer
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
            My patterns are usually just in my head ! I never know for sure what something will look like till it's done ! LOL
            Wow...good head of yours then! ;) I wouldn't even know where to start by doing it all by the seat of my pants. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to beading. I might have to try a 'free hand' piece just to see what happens.

Comment

• wardancer
              I'm still here with Eyes!
              • Sep 2000

Well , if you want to see some of my work , it's posted here:
              I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
              It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• subeeds
                small bead addict
                • Aug 2006

I bead on the pellon. I only use a pattern is I'm doing something geometric-even then, I trace it on the pellon.
                Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

• Eagle Plumes
                  Pow Wow Committee
                  • Sep 2005

My designs are normally on paper then I staple them to pellon,bead, trim out and finnish it up. Ive been known to bead with the design in my head but not always.
                  I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

• Tlinkamoe
                    Junior Dancer
                    • May 2004

I like to draw my design on paper and than tack it to the stiff felt. I tend to be meticulous and want my design to be even in a sense. It makes things go my much faster.

Comment

• Czechy
                      wrapped in ribbonwork!
                      • Oct 2000

I beaded on paper when I first started applique beading. Decided I didn't like it. Now I draw or trace my design onto a thin, see-through adhesive stabilizer and then iron that onto stiff felt or whatever my background material is. This only works if the background will be completely beaded.

For beading on say, velveteen where the background will show, I iron the design onto the reverse side.

Paper is acidic and will eventually break down over time, especially if exposed to sunlight and moisture. This is another reason why I avoid using it.

Comment

• wyo_rose
                        Ready to dance
                        • Jun 2002

For applique stitches: I usually make a paper sandwich. White paper with the design on top, or even something as simple as folds to mark placement to center a rosette - then the buckskin or pellon or rubberized flannel - then brown paper from a bag on the back - all basted together.

For lazy stitch: just bead right on the buckskin, maybe with a center line pencilled in, or the outside line of a moccasin, to keep things lined up nicely.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Doll
                          Tiny Tot Dancer
                          • Mar 2011

Ok this thread is from a few months ago but I was browsing through and need to say - you guys need to know about graphite paper! It's the best when you're doing a more complex design, it's how I was taught. You can buy it at most craft stores in with the paint/drawing supplies. It's like carbon paper. Sometimes you can only get it in a big roll, but it's like $15 or so and it'll last a lifetime since it can be re-used.

What I do is take a layer of smooth fabric (something that won't shrink) and put it on a hard surface (I usually clip it onto a book so it won't shift). I sketch out my design on paper and then put the graphite paper (dark side against the fabric) with my sketch over top and clip that all together. Then just draw over the design using a good pressure with a pen and it transfers the graphite onto the fabric. Then just put your fabric onto your pellon and bead away :)

It does mark up the fabric (you do have to be careful not to put pressure on it with your hand when you're tracing) so it's best for full-beaded projects that will just cover it up. Though I'm fairly certain it would wash off if needed.

Comment

• klotasfeather
                            blkyakama
                            • Aug 2005

Doll, that is a great idea!!! I am going to try that. I usually bead on old vacuum cleaner bags. I trace my design, bead and then attach my beadwork. You're idea is worth a try.
                            Lots of great ideas on here

Comment

• wyo_rose
                              Ready to dance
                              • Jun 2002

I think if you are going to bead on fabric, it needs to be stabilized, like bonding it to Pellon with WonderUnder...unless you have some heavy duty canvas or other thick material that doesn't shift much when you pull on the bias.

My favorite paper to bead on (top) is bonded paper, so I save recycled bonded paper from work, or from mail. You KNOW it's gonna hold up.

And certain brown paper (back) won't hold up well. I give it the tear&crumple test and see how it does.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.