pellon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by docat View Post

Pellon also has a double side adhesive surface type you can buy...I unfortunately ironed a nice medallion to my ironing board cover when I forgot what type of pellon I had.
    OUCH!!!!!

Were you able to save the Medallion, and/or the ironing board cover?
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Originally posted by LeannB View Post
      OUCH!!!!!

Were you able to save the Medallion, and/or the ironing board cover?
      For the life of me, I could NOT separate the cover from the medallion. I tried everything you can think of, and something in the cover and the glue melted to a super tight fit. I ended up cutting the medallion from the ironing board and removing the fuzz from underneath the cover and used it anyway.

Had to get another ironing board cover. There is some chemical or treatment on an ironing board cover that bonds to that pellon glue better than super glue.

Comment

For the life of me, I could NOT separate the cover from the medallion. I tried everything you can think of, and something in the cover and the glue melted to a super tight fit. I ended up cutting the medallion from the ironing board and removing the fuzz from underneath the cover and used it anyway.

Had to get another ironing board cover. There is some chemical or treatment on an ironing board cover that bonds to that pellon glue better than super glue.
        WHEW!!!! You saved your beadwork, anyway. You're a smart cookie! I used to have an ironing board cover with some silvery coating on it. It did stick to stuff! I like the one I have much better...it was sold by a company that does quilting supplies. White cotton canvas with lines and inches marked on it. WAY cool. Found it at a yard sale, and I pop it off and launder it when it needs it. I would be sad to see THAT one go.

Comment

WHEW!!!! You saved your beadwork, anyway. You're a smart cookie! I used to have an ironing board cover with some silvery coating on it. It did stick to stuff! I like the one I have much better...it was sold by a company that does quilting supplies. White cotton canvas with lines and inches marked on it. WAY cool. Found it at a yard sale, and I pop it off and launder it when it needs it. I would be sad to see THAT one go.
          I bet that your cover is treated with something else that Pellon won't stick to! Since it was made for quilting, that makes sense that they would figure someone was going to make a mess out of the Pellon glue on the traditional surface and surfaced it with something else. My new ironing board cover has the same sort of surface as the old one did...I am going to be more careful.

Comment

Have I ever mentioned I iron my beadwork ?? Sounds wierd I know but after I trim it out i press it . Makes it nice and flat and looks great!
            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
              Have I ever mentioned I iron my beadwork ?? Sounds wierd I know but after I trim it out i press it . Makes it nice and flat and looks great!
              nah not weird, never weird. if it works for you then its all good. never tried using an iron on beadwork. i just would be cautious i think about using it on any glassbeads. i might try it and see how it comes out. thanks for the inspiration!:)

Comment

Originally posted by delila77 View Post
                nah not weird, never weird. if it works for you then its all good. never tried using an iron on beadwork. i just would be cautious i think about using it on any glassbeads. i might try it and see how it comes out. thanks for the inspiration!:)
                Ive never had a problem, plus you would need alot more heat to harm glass then what iron puts out. I gently press front and back, sometimes placeing a wash cloth in between. I even know somebody who irons their thread! That ive not done to afraid of melting it.

Comment

Use what you got even around the house. I've been known to use paper towels or toilet paper, and it still does the job so long as you insert some stablizer or something in between to keep it sturdy.

You don't have to go broke to get something accomplished. I learned that from my mom.
                  Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

Ive used what you mentioned as well as coffee filters !

Comment

Oh man, I would have never thought of coffee filters. That's a great idea.

I had one of these Iroquois whimsey beaded boxes from 1906. It was dated on the top. It was made for the tourist trade. Anyway, I bought it off ebay, and I took it apart to salvage the old beads because it was falling apart. They used the weirdest things inside to make the box. It was lined in paste board (different than cardboard, something they used in the old days) but that wasn't enough strength, so part of a cigar box was used inside and some old clips and there was disintegrated tissue paper.

It could be that the stuff they stuck in there caused the box to fall apart because the metal clips had rusted through and the other pieces including the pasteboard had turned brittle and full of acidic foxing.

HOWEVER, I salvaged some VERY nice 100+ year old beads that were very pretty, and looking at the reds, I think they are French glass...the French reds have a particular look to them...they are quite nice.

Not sure what I will do with them, but I really wanted to save them because the box itself could not be saved.

Comment

Oh man, I would have never thought of coffee filters. That's a great idea.

I had one of these Iroquois whimsey beaded boxes from 1906. It was dated on the top. It was made for the tourist trade. Anyway, I bought it off ebay, and I took it apart to salvage the old beads because it was falling apart. They used the weirdest things inside to make the box. It was lined in paste board (different than cardboard, something they used in the old days) but that wasn't enough strength, so part of a cigar box was used inside and some old clips and there was disintegrated tissue paper.

It could be that the stuff they stuck in there caused the box to fall apart because the metal clips had rusted through and the other pieces including the pasteboard had turned brittle and full of acidic foxing.

HOWEVER, I salvaged some VERY nice 100+ year old beads that were very pretty, and looking at the reds, I think they are French glass...the French reds have a particular look to them...they are quite nice.

Not sure what I will do with them, but I really wanted to save them because the box itself could not be saved.

We wanna see those beads! They sound PURTY!
                        Last edited by LeannB; 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

WOW!!! That IS a great idea!!!!!

Comment

WOW!!! That IS a great idea!!!!!
                            Try it !!

Comment

We wanna see those beads! They sound PURTY!

I'll see if I can drag the old camera out tomorrow and get a pic. Old beads are really nice. I have to clean them. Dirt gets into the holes and any imperfections (which there are more in the old ones) and I take a Jewelry cleaner and I run those things in it with the chemicals to clean the beads.

Comment

Try it !!
                                I NEED to! Right now I am need to get the beaded strips for Hubby's shirt done FIRST. And the garden wants tending, and I'm trying to get rid of winter's cobwebs, and I have two gallons of Jersey milk that need to be dealt with, and we haven't milked yet this morning...LOL!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.