No announcement yet.

How many beads in rows for lazy stitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a sample card of bead colours I can get in Germany.

One bead, 93190 is 9/0, the others are either 10/0 or 11/0. 23980 black is 10/0 but looks like th eother 11/0

LOL, the Czech deliver more colours and more beads to the US than to GE. More customers in the US with need for lots of beads.

Numbers to bead colours at Crazy Crow are different by numbers in the Czech bead Crad and partially what is listed in the German online shop. I think the 9 at the end indicates size 9/0
    Attached Files
    Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
    Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
    Show me, and I will understand.
    Involve me, and I will learn.”
    Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
    (Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)

Comment

These are the same colors I have in my beading closet. I have do have some sol gel opaque cream 11/0, which might be the 3050, and some gold and rhodium plated 13/0 cuts. I use the plated beads where other folks use the gold and silver painted; the plated hold up much better.

BA, you need to consider some transparent colors too, especially since -- no offense intended -- you're fixated on the old days. In the older glass formulations the opacifiers used were different. Some of the old formulations had deeper light penetration. Using transparent colors will give a similar look. In a lot of the older pieces, the very dark cobalt blue beads were actually transparent. Sometimes the darkest green and the deep red were too. The transparent colors have a lovely sparkle.

Using transparent colors when you're doing figurative/representational designs can give some nice effects. On a night sky, the dark transparent cobalt blue is very nice. The design elements stand out sharply against the blue, especially stars.

My antique micro beads are obviously old colors. They're Italian glass, which had a different range of colors. There was an intermediate translucent range of colors, the so called greasy colors. The colors were not reproducible.

If you start hunting down antiques you need to be aware that some glass formulations have toxic components. Lead was fairly common. Chalk white has lead. So do some greasy yellows. I don't use these tiny beads on things for kids.

Last year I bought a lot that included some transparent yellowish-green beads. When I got them, the color made me suspicious. Uranium and strontium used to be used in glass and glaze. Some of those old glasses are hot. I've had a run in with radioactive beads before. I hit these with a UV light and they fluoresced, which is a characteristic of uranium glass. I borrowed a colleague's Geiger counter and sure enough they were slightly radioactive. While the levels are low, I don't want to use them on things folks wear or handle a lot. So, I gave them to a collector of uranium glass.

Comment

Transparent colours I can get you find here: transparent

Hunting down old italian, czech, french and german beads is a very different task.

I have been told that among the old hobbyists in Germany one might find many of old beads but I am not a memebr of their circles and may be it is good that I am not. Probably many have already sold old as they are quite old if not dead by now.
        Those who know do not write and those who write may not know. Frank W. Louis, No such Agency

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
        Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Got the bag finally beaded and the strap attached. Thebag is now heavier.
          Attached Files

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Started a new project, a rifle scabbard.
            Lets say it is a training object and only in its first quarter or less.
            Attached Files

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Updtae on the training object. Left side has grown.

The yellow edge has to be smoothed out. Should be a more gentle curve.
              Attached Files

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Main motive beaded.

Question is, if I shall bead the flap. If yes, shall I bead it partially with the flap to show th part of the flag which is covered or shall I do a tipi?

I will do at least two more scabbards. I have one which is like this one already sewn together and I have another one which isn't sewn by now. This I can bead and than sew and turn. Motives for that are not decided on in detail but in priniple. I am waiting for a book to get some more idees about sketching the thougth about pattersn for the third one.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Broken Arrow; 02-14-2021, 02:01 AM.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Hopefully we will have this years meeting of the FROCS. Made some gifts as give away for those who attend. This year is a pin with the US Flag; thirteen stars.
                  Attached Files

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Hm, the picture showes gaps and sinew I do not see looking on the real bead work.

Forgot to insert some white beads between the arms. First try and I really should use smaller beads.

May be I want to much use up beads I already have.

I will list this under training and teaching in parts what not to do.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 06-21-2021, 03:02 PM.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.