No announcement yet.

Step one cleaning and dyeing quills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow you sound as if you already know him!! Like I said before I respected what he said and didnt push the subject any further.
    Any-wayz, I am one of the mentors for a youth prevetion program here, and I did all the ordering of supplies. I did get some deer tails, porqupine hair, and a instructional video. It looks simple, just never tried it before.

Comment

No I don't know him, but to be honest and straight to the point,,,owwww it hurts when they loose a little info that they think is only theirs and for no one else, I am proud to say I bead and sew, does that mean a woman shared her private knowledge with me,,, no I learnt it by myself, so yep :devil :devil in me says go for the gold, never let any one tell you it can't be done, that irks me to no end, you have a gift that creator gave you, make the best of it and yes in this case especially I would say teach them as well, without you that part of history would be lost for them.

starting to be a nickels worth and not 2 cents any more!!! lmao!!!!

Okay so I am a sh!t disturber but knowledge is a gift and not something to be hidden from the next generation!
      Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
      Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Okay here are some new question for our quill workers.

When using wrapping to make things like armband do you prefer to cut a piece to do the wrapping on with all the rows/strips attached at one end (kinda like a table fork looks like) or do you use separate strips?

Also, what have you used for the underlying material. I use rawhide most of the time but have also used plastic from butter tubs. I almost always use the butter tub when I am teaching others how to do wrapping. Have any of you used the plastic prepunched wheels forms when making wheels?

So have any of you seen fake quill wrapping. I know a fella from TN that has a full set that looks just like quill wrapping but it is all done out of electrical tape, or maybe it is tape that architects use which is very thin. Not sure on the kinda tape...all I know is it fooled me the first time I saw it?
        PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

You don't really have to kill the porqupine to get the quills. If you hit them with a towel, blanket or even a t-shirt the quills stick to the material. I got a quart jar full of quills from my son's shirt he used to "attack" the porqy, they don't like it very much though. We also take their hair by holding them down with sticks. But why would you want a fake quill outfit? Some people think quill is easier than beading, just get started and practice, men or women.

Comment

Sorry that I am joining this thread late, but I wanted to pass along that I have had good luck purchasing quills from Eidens Furs in Idaho. I have ordered from them a couple of times and ended up with a good assortment of usable quills.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X