beadwork designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beadwork designs

is it ok to do lazy stitch for a tradish set without copyin geometrical designs? is it ok to do a kind of okla. type of beadwork with animals and other types of designs or is it better to modify geometrical designs?

It's your beadwork ole boy and since this is for, what I am assuming to be, intertribal powwows...then I would have to say go for it. For many people their beadwork, or at least elements of it, are of a very personal and special nature to them and not necessarily of replicated tribal specific designs. If it were for a ceremonial I might tell you different but in my opinion if you want to go more modern in your designs then feel free.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Beadwork designs

All depends what your concept design is and I mean total concept that carries throught the whole outfit. I have seen Mickey Mouse and the NIKE swoosh and a number of modern designs on different outfits. Your have to be careful that you do not claim something your not. If you do the beadwork and believe in the final result you will gain admiration from the elders. After all, I believe I dance for the people and that is my 2 cents.

d

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• SuzzeQ4
        purses - creative outlet?
        by SuzzeQ4
        so does the beadwork on your purse match the rest of your beadwork, similar to the rest of your beadwork or do you do something totaly different?

Typically the beadwork on my purse is similar to my other beadwork, but i mix it up a bit. This time all my beadwork is very geometric but...
        05-07-2009, 02:20 AM
      • GrayKeith
        Cheyenne Beadwork
        by GrayKeith
        Greetings,
        I am having difficulty finding good pictures of cheyenne beadwork. If anyone knows of any links, or if you have pictures of your own, posting them here would be much appreciated.
        08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
      • Zintkala Towa Win
        About Beadwork And Prices.
        by Zintkala Towa Win
        Hello,

Just wanted to see what people here on powwows.com feel about ordering beadwork from people. I have done it once for my daughter and the experience was far from positive. I am the kind of person who doesn't like to order something if I can't pay in full, I don't like to do...
        01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
      • spiderbear
        Beadwork - to copy or to inspire?
        by spiderbear
        I just got so PO'd looking at these "hand beaded" items of a Facebook page- lifted from the wonderful Crazy Crow imported beadwork. GRRRRRRR
        Anyhow- what are your thoughts?
        I am seeing ( mostly in vendors booths) tons of this cheap imitation beadwork. It's really bad when they...
        08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
      • Pochahontas
        Cheyenne Beadwork
        by Pochahontas
        Very good post. It will be interesting to see what some of the poeple on this list will say.

As for me, I will say that there is a tendancy for Cheyenne lane stitch to be more flat than other styles. This is partially due to the technique employed. Cheyenne's occasionally used what...
        03-29-2001, 01:33 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X