ribbon fringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ribbon fringe

i'm wanting to switch from leather fringe to ribbon fringe on my contemporary traditional clothes, and i was wondering what type of ribbon works the best? thanks for your time.
    Last edited by sutton's dad; 06-17-2004, 03:46 PM.

Go for a synthetic ribbon. Polyester or satin.

Double or single faced. That simply means....one sides shiny or both sides are shiny. It's inexpensive, hit up the Hobby Lobby or Michaels, or some craft store, you can typically find it in a large assortment of colors. Cut to length, slap on some wonderunder, iron the ends onto whatever and sew it down.

You're probably looking at a spool of 1/4 to 3/8ths inch wide ribbon.......or wider, and paying like a buck or so for like 20 yards or more sometimes. Not terribly expensive if you ask me.

Plus, I think the synthetics are easily washed, or tend to "resist" dirt a little better.
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

thanks! that's kinda what i had in mind, but i just wanted to make sure.

Comment

my 2 cents worth, i have used ribbon from Joann's that was inexpensive, something like a spool of 18 feet was $3 for a skirt for my self and a purse. there are assortment of colors.
        Bahnisiain

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rumaki On Rye
          Go for a synthetic ribbon. Polyester or satin.

Double or single faced. That simply means....one sides shiny or both sides are shiny. It's inexpensive, hit up the Hobby Lobby or Michaels, or some craft store, you can typically find it in a large assortment of colors. Cut to length, slap on some wonderunder, iron the ends onto whatever and sew it down.

You're probably looking at a spool of 1/4 to 3/8ths inch wide ribbon.......or wider, and paying like a buck or so for like 20 yards or more sometimes. Not terribly expensive if you ask me.

Plus, I think the synthetics are easily washed, or tend to "resist" dirt a little better.

I always put it on by glueing it into the middle of the shawl then sewing it on. I thought of doing it the way you metioned, but how exactly would you do that. Just like put on one by one and iron it on to wonderunder? Well I do lots of ribbon work, but the shawl ribbons I always have trouble with.

Comment

I have'nt tried sewing the ribbon fringe on.. I just used the 1/4 width and tied it on like I would regular shawl fringe..
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

This is ribbon fringe and is attached just as Mr ROR mentioned above. I have it doubled in thickness, to do this I placed wonderunder down the length of a strip of fabric and placed the center of the cut ribbon over the strip and then ironed the ribbon to it. After I was done I then folded the strip in half (length wise) so that it would double the thickness of the ribbon once attached as fringe. At that point it was just a matter of sewing it to the back of the aprons and side tabs. Oh yeah...I used double faced since I would be folding the ribbon in half and thus showing both sides of the ribbon strips.

Oh yeah I had to do it a bit different down the sides since I angled the sides so they would lay better. I had to cut separate pieces and iron them in a V shape so it would lay right.
              Attached Files
              PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

thanks for the responses. i appreciate the information.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X