Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make twisted fringe?

Okay,
    My fiance' made me a great flat fan and he wants to twist the fringe on the end of the handle-I have no idea how to do this and make it stay put. Someone want to help us out here and give me the scoop on twisted fringe and how to do it the right way???
    Thanks!
    Rie

Is the fringe already on the fan or not?
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Try some fringes before actual end products.

Cut a very thin strip of leather maybe 1/8-1/4 inch wide. The thinner the better,it needs to be able to cut in half again but not all of the way. leave about 1/2 inch on the end at least at first until you get the hang of it.

I put the nonsplit end in my teeth and twist the two strands in the same direction. Not too tight. Twist all of the way to the end. Allow the nonsplit end to roll out of your mouth. You will need to give the leather a roll. I roll mine on my leg.

Not a real good picture, and maybe even left something out but this may be a start.

Good luck!!!!!!
      BOB

Comment

From what I understand, back in the day they use to do it like Cherosage siad, but I cannot stomach the leather taste or the fact that it leaves the leather debri on you mouth. I wet mine in a bowl of water, one strand at a time, and roll it between my fingers.;)
        What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Comment

My friend makes hers on her mixer. She starts with a thin strip of thin buckskin, splits it in half til about 1" and dampens it. Then I guess holds it by the mixer thingy and and lets the ends catch and twirl around. She then pins the pieces to cardboard to dry.

Comment

The fringe is already on the fan-he finished it before he saw the pictures in the gallery of the twisted fringe, so i think we will practice a little before trying it on the fan itself. Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone thinks of anything else let us know.
            Rie

Comment

I'm not familiar with the traditional techniques, but in weaving we have fringe twisters. (One gets really tired twisting several hundred warp ends by hand. :( ) They're about $12. The concept is similar to those new Twist-a-Braid gadgets you see on tv now (except these are battery operated, the weaving ones are crank operated). If you're wetting the fringes, maybe the manual one would be better?'

This ad from a NYC store has a picture.
              http://www.pearlpaint.com/fringetwister.html

Hope this helps.
              Ha nem tudod hova mész, nem tévedhetsz el.
              If you don't know where you're going, you won't get lost.
              - Hungarian proverb

Comment

another way

Up north some people make twisted fringe by wetting a thin strip of buckskin, twisting it, and clamping the ends until it dries. This works well although it looks different from the other stuff. There are some artists in SD that do it this way and it looks very nice.

I do that on my fans but it doesn't always suit more southern :) tastes and I have had to rip it out more an once. If I can get the old scanner running, I'll upload a pic this evening -- unless this a a breach of forum ediquette.

Sincerely,

OLChemist

Comment

Got the pic. Hope posting this is ok with folks
                  Attached Files

Comment

This post if very belated, but may still be helpful.

When I twist fringe, I generally try to twist the fringe before its sewn into the finished item.

I do a split twist, as its the only twist I have found that will stay until the leather falls apart.

To start I cut my fringe piece out of scrap and cut each fringe to about 3/16 of an inch. A little smaller for fans a little bigger for legging/cuff/apron trim. I leave a solid strip across the top piece so there is a continuous section for sewing the fringe piece into the finished item. (However for smaller clumps of fringe on fan/dance stick handles, I have at times cut each fringe piece seperately) I usually leave about a 1/2 inch wide strip for sewing

The best tool for cutting fringe in my experience is a rotary razor tool, often called quilt block cutters. With those and a metal straight edge you can cut fringe in no time at all.

Once the fringe is cut I go back and split each fringe piece. I start at the solid section across the top and split each fringe piece to about until there is only about 1/4 inch left at the end of the fringe. This creates a "loop." Once all the fringe pieces are split I soak the leather in water.

Next comes the twisting. To twist the leather I generally use a staple gun to tack the top strip (the one that you will sew through) to a board. I take the first fringe piece and turn the loop into itself until both sides of the split fringe are twisted. once that is done I pull the end of the fringe piece straight and curl the whole piece together. I then staple the end of the fringe to my board to keep it from un-twisting until it dries. Then repeat until your fringe is done or you have too many blisters on your hand to continue. ;)

The look of the fringe is different from what is being shown above. The only way the twist comes out is if the fringe piece get broken.

I'll have to take a picture of my fringe and post it....

Hope that makes sense....
                    Randy

Comment

Hey OLChemist!

That is wonderful!!
                      :D
                      Join my FB page:
                      https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

*Blush*

Thank you very much.

I love working with those 18/o's. You can get such detail.

OLChemist

Comment

holy smokes! what nice work you do! I love the colors and designs. :)

Comment

Do you have any pics of the fans youve made? I'd love to see them. You can PM me and I can send you my email addy and look at them that way. Thanks!

Comment

Thank you again. Unfortunately I have no fans read at the moment. I just gave my last one away. I do have feathers and beads so I expect to fix this soon:)

Thanks,
                              OLChemist

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X