Otter Breastplate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otter Breastplate

I am looking for a little advice. My mother in law was cleaning her house and came across an otter skin that belonged to my wifes late step father. She was very cool and gave it to me along with some of his other stuff.
    I would like to make an otter breastplate out of it, but I don't want to mess up such a nice gift. The skin is cased and I need to know the best way to cut it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Peace
    Scobie

the best way to cut it is with an exacto knife or razor blade (make sure both are new) and you will want to carefully cut a little bit at a time from the skin, not the fur side. Just lightly cut down a little at a time, don't worry if it does'nt go through the skin entirely , that's good, cause that means you are not cutting the fur. Pretend you are a doctor ok? Depending on how long that otter is, you might need two. or if it was a really good and fat otter you might be able to make two strips from the back by cutting off the back in a strip and then cutting it in half.. but you'll notice the belly fur and the back fur are two different colors, that is why I say you might need two otter hides to make it. But before you but that hide, make sure you have your measurments for your breastplate first and that the hide will accomodate those measurements!
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

OH and when cutting, don't saw with your blade, and don't push the fur up against something like a cutting block either, cuase if you do happen to go through the skin the first time, if it's pressed against something you WILL cut the hairs and usually at a funny angle. Oh and turn the skin inside out, will make it easier for cutting.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Ready to cut

Thanks for the advice.
        I have a brand new exacto and I am ready to cut the not so fat otter tonight.
        Peace
        Scobie

:35:

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X