Latigo soles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latigo soles

Hi. I have a pair of latigo soles for some moccasins and they are just too stiff. Does anyone know what I could do to soften them up just a bit? I like hard soles but there is no way I would be able to turn these after sewing. Thanks!

Lipan Lady aka Betty

I usually just hold a damp to wet washcloth to the latigo until it takes on some water....it'll dry later.

That'll soften up the toe portion a bit, enough so you could turn the moc when you're done.

How thick are they anyway?
    I have trouble locating nice THICK latigo for moc soles, all I can typically locate is the 1/4 to 3/8ths stuff.

Some nice 1/2 inch stuff would be nice to play with!! .....okay, maybe not. LOL
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Give 'em a good massage

Before you sew, massage the heck out of them. Roll and flex them every which way. Really give them a good work out. They should just flop around. (They'll stiffen back up when they dry out after you have your first good round of sweaty feet in them.)

Then dampen them very lightly before turning. Leave your heel seam unfinished until they are turned -- it helps if they are very stiff. I use a flat stick, a bit like a paint stirrer, that has been sanded very smooth to help turn mocs. A few deep breaths and some chocolate helps when the beadwork makes that horrid crunching noise, LOL.

Mr B. J., I've seen people use barge cement to glue on an extra sole after turning out mocs. They claim they wear better, but I alway seem to have -- uh -- seam failure, partiuclarly with people who roll out on the edge of their feet as they walk. I'd think a really stiff sole would strain that edge seam even more.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try. The soles are average thickness, 1/4" to 3/8". Sometimes I wish they were thicker, but after turning them, I get over it. I'll try the chocolate next time too. Thanks again!

Lipan Lady aka Betty

Comment

my soles are still wet by time I'm done stitching the tops to them, but I wait till they are turned out before sewing up the heel. That always works best for me.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Blackbear, do you mean you leave the area where the upper is sewn to the sole at the heel unfinished?

If yes, how do you get the tension right? I tried that once and ended up with uneven tension. Any pointers on what I was doing wrong?

Thanks!
            Last edited by OLChemist; 10-05-2004, 08:33 AM. Reason: incoherence

Comment

Originally posted by Lipan Lady
              Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try. The soles are average thickness, 1/4" to 3/8". Sometimes I wish they were thicker, but after turning them, I get over it. I'll try the chocolate next time too. Thanks again!

Lipan Lady aka Betty
              That's all? They're actually the same thickness that I end up with.

Shoot, I turn those suckers DRY!! I just very gently roll the toe back into the moc and work the rest of it thru. You shouldn't have to worry very much about bead loss or ripping out stitches or putting much strain on the seam.

I've turned fully beaded and partially beaded and even unbeaded mocs with soles that thick.

I did come across some half inch thick soles about a month ago, the guy won't cut the hide up though, he wants to sell the whole side for $150. I looked good and hard at that hide.....it seemed a bit too FLOPPY even at that thick.

I wondered though, what if I soaked it and basically LEACHED alot of the white stuff out and was left with some nice rawhide looking stuff?

Think that could be possible? Even if they didn't end up stiff enough...ya gotta admit.....1/2 inch thick soles are just SWEET!!!!!!!!!
              "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

O. Wilde

Comment

It's not the thickness that is making them hard to turn, but the stiffness. These are really hard. I have always used latigo for soles. The thicker the better. But these are just really hard and stiff. I have been messing with them and they are actually starting to loosen up. I'll also follow your instructions as well. These are closer to the 3/8" so I really want to use them. I'll be working on them this weekend, so I'd better get me a Hershey bar with almonds, well maybe two......
                Thanks again for all your help and advice.

PS I agree, 1/2" soles would be awesome!

Comment

I start at the toe and sew down one side and then the other to where the leather meets at the heel... but instead of sewing up the heel, I leave it undone, roll the moc right side out and then I kinda "peel'' the heel leather back inside out and finish sewing it up. OH.. yeah.. I almost forgot, where the heel leather meets.. I tie it before turning... simple slip knot, it does'nt rub on skin nor do I have to worry about taking it out later...that might be why I don't have problems with the tension. I've made a couple dozen mocs so far (NONE FULLY BEADED) and only my soft soled mocs have worn out. And 2 paIRS I did for some girls have been passed down and down and down and down LOL!!!
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Ahh! Ok, we do the same thing. I thought you had a great new secret method, LOL. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bo Jangles
                      I usually just hold a damp to wet washcloth to the latigo until it takes on some water....it'll dry later.

That'll soften up the toe portion a bit, enough so you could turn the moc when you're done.

How thick are they anyway?
                      I have trouble locating nice THICK latigo for moc soles, all I can typically locate is the 1/4 to 3/8ths stuff.

Some nice 1/2 inch stuff would be nice to play with!! .....okay, maybe not. LOL

go to a saddle shop,you will find 1/2 latigo by the sheet.
                      I soaked the sole overnight then sewed em while still wet and then turn em out and then let em dry...they will dry hard...hope this helps
                      Rides-the-Wind

Comment

What kind of needle do y'all use to go thru thick latigo? Or do you punch holes with an awl first?

I like doubled soft soles cuz I can sew them with a 12 sharp.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

I use a number three skin needle (that's a three sided needle). I have not found a need for an awl as of yet, but were I to do rawhide soles i would.

Comment

Originally posted by Rides the Wind
                            go to a saddle shop,you will find 1/2 latigo by the sheet.
                            I soaked the sole overnight then sewed em while still wet and then turn em out and then let em dry...they will dry hard...hope this helps
                            I've hit up all sorts of saddle shops from Southern Arizona to Colorado to Oklahoma and Texas and New Mexico!! ....nuthin'!!

I found that to be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY odd.

I mean, most saddle makers I know of go thru that stuff like it's goin outta style!!!

There was one saddle shop in Flagstaff, AZ that carried some one inch thick latigo....I freaked out!!!!! A shame all they had was the odd scrap there and nothing large enough for moc soles.

I have to agree with you, thoroughly soaking a sole prior to stitching helps ALOT!! I mean, the needle goes thru really easy, eliminating the need for awls.

anyhoo...

I gotta spring for that half inch thick stuff at that one place in town.....it's just the thing for mocs!!!

I just finished my twelfth pair of mocs two weeks ago, so far I've not had much in the way of trouble when doing fully beaded mocs.....12 pairs of fully beaded mocs. I tell ya.....I think I've worn a permanent groove in my fingers from beading and sewing!!!

LOL!!!

O. Wilde

Comment

Oh, I'll have to try that sometime.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.