Steamy Feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamy Feathers

I've beaded fans, but this is the first time to make a fan from the feathers to the beadwork. Someone from way down South gave me a lot of Macaw feathers from the Andes. All they told me to do was steam them and wrap 'em up they said. Help with steaming and wrapping? I don't understand any websites to look at?

They're probably referring to the whole technique of steaming feathers to get wrinkles out. Some also use this method to straighten feathers.

I personally don't subscribe to that theory that STEAM can straighten a feather. Here's what happens.......the feather just goes back to it's original shape after it comes into a steamy or moist/humid environment again.

I do however recommend steaming to repair or to straighten back out the fletching on the feathers.

Heat some water in a sauce pan or kettle, over the top of that place a funnel made from aluminium foil....leave a small enough spout on top to allow for steam to escape. This should funnel the steam into once small opening...it should have sufficient heat to do the job too......of reattaching the fletching portion.

I'd also advise you to wash the feathers as well....prior to steaming if they're kinda dingy or dirty. Use some warm water and laureth sulfate....usually available at pet stores. It's hypoallergenic.....and totally safe for you and your feathers. It's basically what museums use to clean dirty items....very safe. It's also a component in your hair shampoo.

To straighten or SHAPE feathers, just take the feather and GENTLY bend it in the direction you want it to go in and hold it there for a few seconds....it'll set up and from my own experience, has worked to hold feathers into various shapes.

You could also just hold the feather against a light bulb and straighten the quill that way too if you're worried about snapping a quill.
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

What you need is a TEA KETTLE with a spout already on it. Its easier. Fill it with water, and let it boil till it whistles. When It whistles, there is steam. Flip the little lid on the spout and steam will come through... place the feather over the steam a few inches away from the steam.. NOT too close & not to far away, and run the feather over the steam and prine it back into shape gently and in the direction with the others... if its split apart to the quill it will take some time & work but will recover mostly. This is a time consuming thing... take yur time to do this. Birds always take baths to clean themselves, so if the feathers are not clean enough for your standards, then wash them gently before you start steamin. Good Luck!

Comment

Well...another option, if you've got cash laying around and you have the notion to fix feathers, invest in a hat steamer.

They type used to shape felt hats. Basically, it's just a kettle, spout on one end, but, you get this nice steady stream of warm to hot steam coming out and it makes the work alot easier.

...but, if your only doing a small number of feathers, I'd go the tea kettle or sauce pan, small stove top coffee/tea pot with the foil cone.....much more economical and just common sense.
        "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Ya Know, after reading Mr. Bo's reply, I got to thinkin.. what about one of those warm steam vaporizers that a person uses to add moisture in the air during winter?? Would that would too??? :h2:

Comment

I used a baby bottle steam heater before... it produces quite a bit of steam
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Iron...

Ok, I used a hot iron to straighten mine. Wow was that an experience....lol. I learned the hard way, on a crapy feather, that before you put the iron on the feather you have to have a cloth over it...melted feathers aren't pretty.
              So, once I got that all figured out and my feathers were all straightend, I even got the bend out of them as far as left side right side, but now I let them set over night and when I got up this morning, they were still straight, but just bowed back so that they weren't flat anymore. Am I doing something wrong, or is there always going to be a little bend in the feather? How to I make them stay flat? I even tried the heavy weight on top of them idea....that was a bust....any ideas out there? Thanks in advance for any info....

Comment

Steaming Feathers

I, too, tried steaming a feather. It didn't work for me either. Sorry. What I did do was get wire coat hangers and cut them and stuck them up the stem of the feather. Then, I used the edge of a very hot iron. Not, flat but the edge of the iron. I softened the quill on the back side of the feather and kept pushing the hanger farther up the quill. I left it like that for two or three days under a ton of books. They came out flat. Then, I pulled out the hangers or I guess you could leave them in if you want.

Now, I would like to find someone that can tell me how to put the colorful decorative feathers on the bottom part of the feather. How do you make them lay so flat and how to wrap them? Do you happen to know how.

Thanks in advance. Ah-ho

Comment

I also wanted to know how to do that. I did read a lot of threads about how to do it. I went to the forums, wend to general crafts and typed in Feather Work into the search box, you should bring up most of the threads that talk about it. Good luck though. I tried and I guess I don't have enough patience to do this feather stuff, but just I do have enough patience to bead..go figure...lol.
                  Good luck, thanks for the advice. Oh, did the feathers stay flat then? Or have they bowed back?

Comment

Originally posted by ndnhottie79
                    Ok, I used a hot iron to straighten mine. Wow was that an experience....lol. I learned the hard way, on a crapy feather, that before you put the iron on the feather you have to have a cloth over it...melted feathers aren't pretty.
                    So, once I got that all figured out and my feathers were all straightend, I even got the bend out of them as far as left side right side, but now I let them set over night and when I got up this morning, they were still straight, but just bowed back so that they weren't flat anymore. Am I doing something wrong, or is there always going to be a little bend in the feather? How to I make them stay flat? I even tried the heavy weight on top of them idea....that was a bust....any ideas out there? Thanks in advance for any info....
                    The quills will have a natural tendency to go back to their original position. Have you tried overbending them? In other words, heating and bending past straight. I also try to cool them down as fast as possible. Hope this helps.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.