Lady's Chainette Fringe Shawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady's Chainette Fringe Shawl

You have a shawl made with the chainette fringe. The fringe probably came from a spool and ya had to cut the string into the length you want to make the fringe length you want. Ok. You have the body of the shawl hemmed up. Now you are ready to attach the chainette fringe string to the shawl body material.

QUESTION:
    Is it OKAY to apply that FRAY CHECK type of glue (that is found in the notions section of a fabric store) to the ends of the chainette fringe string material to prevent it from unravelling?

Or does the glue on the ends interfere with some kind of belief?

I once heard that a shawl, when drapped over the body of a lady is to protect her... from things like bad medicine, and that the swishing of the fringe knocks the badness off... if the ends are sealed, is the badness stuck on the fringe?

Thanks!

Ummmmm ohhh kay!... sooo umm under what rock did you climb out from??? :D

Comment

i'm stupified.

I feel we've entered the twilight zone.
      Last edited by CandaePrincess; 10-20-2004, 02:30 PM.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

Originally posted by Burberrilish
        Ummmmm ohhh kay!... sooo umm under what rock did you climb out from??? :D
        :Thinking Plymouth??? :dontknow:

:taunting:
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastnativelady

Or does the glue on the ends interfere with some kind of belief?
          Not if it is traditional glue. Made from the hooves of male buffalo between the ages of 21-33yrs old. But it can only be made on Tuesdays and Thrusdays of the third week of the month only in months that have an "A" in them. Hope this helps. :)

:Tongue
          "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

don't forget you have to do a special ceremony for that glue you are going to get too... but that ceremony can only be done during the summer season when one is on their moon. :)

Comment

OMG she said moon. LMAO.

(shhhh don't talk about that on here!!!!) ROFL

Comment

hmmmm... never heard of that and i don't have a problem with sealing the ends.... From a technical point of view it looks alot better and neater to seal the ends so they don't fray. It is a shame for all that hard work you but into that shawl to make it look ragged in a while. For the glue goes I have never used it, i have used a lighter to melt the ends but be carefull on light color fringe for discoloration from the melting. Now i am a jingle dancer not a shawl but i have A LOT of experience with ribbon and chainette fringe... Whoever told you that about sealing the badness in in full of it!
                Hope this helps!
                ~Kelli
                If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

Originally posted by n8tivechick
                  hmmmm... never heard of that and i don't have a problem with sealing the ends.... From a technical point of view it looks alot better and neater to seal the ends so they don't fray. It is a shame for all that hard work you but into that shawl to make it look ragged in a while. For the glue goes I have never used it, i have used a lighter to melt the ends but be carefull on light color fringe for discoloration from the melting. Now i am a jingle dancer not a shawl but i have A LOT of experience with ribbon and chainette fringe... Whoever told you that about sealing the badness in in full of it!
                  Hope this helps!
                  ~Kelli
                  Thanks to you for a nice reply n8ticechick.
                  As for "sealing in the badness" part, I did not make up that part, I heard an older lady at a powwow mention something about it. so.. she's full of it.. I, myself don't believe everything I hear so don't shoot the messenger! Just thought I relay it.
                  But anyways, So, to either TO SEAL or NOT to SEAL...and she said... something about if its sealed it won't unravel, but NOT to use a lighter because if its not done right it will alter the color. And if you don't seal it, the fringe will catch on something i.e. other regalia, a chair, etc. and it will pull & unravel and get all snagged up (LOL... ALL SNAGGED UP). Silly People, I ain't talkin about Hardware glue, its a special sealant for fringe & ribbons so it WON"T unravel. And It's obvious that some of y'all haven't heard of it and I bet you have a snagged shawl or ribbon work somewherez in yur luggage or closet!
                  So, so far.. (seal = 1 --- not to seal = 0)

Comment

LOL ok.... uh.. first of all if you are cutting your own fringe and using fray check, here's a tip: use the fray check like a pen and draw across the fringe that you have wound up where you are making your cut, then cut down the middle of the fraycheck, that is the easiest way and will ensure that both ends of your fringe are checked, also helps control putting too much fray check on because it can (depending on the fringe) change the color, typically darker. But another way that will take more time and patience is to melt the end without actually making it singed.
                    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

OMG! I needed a good laugh!

And oh yeah, Blackbear I like that thing about cutting thru the fray check. Will do that on my next chainette shawl.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Burberrilish
                        don't forget you have to do a special ceremony for that glue you are going to get too... but that ceremony can only be done during the summer season when one is on their moon. :)
                        That only happens to you in the summer? (Not that I'm asking...)
                        "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                        Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

LMFreakinAO! Yall are crazy!!! hahahahahahaha man I needed that!!!!

:Chatter pssssssssttt..... it's the first blue moon of your moon during the summer rain's intertribal equinox :Chatter

Jus teasin. Seriously, fray check works wonders... just don't put too much on there.
                          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wakalapi
                            That only happens to you in the summer? (Not that I'm asking...)
                            i'm not sure.. ask Mato! she is the one who said she does that! :Chatter
                            Last edited by BurBz; 10-21-2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

That's like, when I buy felt at wal-mart to make barrettes or hairties, I always put the felt through ceremony or at least peyote meeting to make sure it's going to be okay (the felt)

Okay that was SARCASM, don't need someone going into peyote meeting bringing spools of thread and yards of material b/c someone on pws.com mentioned it was the right thing to do. LMFAO! :Chatter

nah but seriously. that was a crazy question, and that lady probably told you that to see if you'd pass on the info or not.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.