Ribbonwork help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbonwork help!!!

Ok girls and guys!!! i have noooooooo clue how to make ribbonwork... i was admiring the beautiful ones that were submitted in the contest and i reallt want to learn how to do it.... anyone want to help me??????? i will love you forever! LOL

-Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

For Straight Dance ribbons, I've posted a thread with some details about how I made my new suit.

Thanks
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Also I might suggest a book called Scarlet Ribbons that you can order through either Amazon or Crazy Crow ...I have that book and it has some wonderful pics and detailed descriptions of how to do both applique and cut and fold.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i wanna do ribbonwork for a jingle dress........... and i am kinda low on money so i can't buy a book at the moment!1 :(

-Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

Ill try to write you tonight about how to do applique style..I don't do cut and fold cause mainly I don't have that kind of time..alhtough I have done it with cotton, just never the satins.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

You can get the basic instructions for free at your local library by looking up the books in the quilting section. Find ones that discuss applique. The basic methods are the same although the fabrics and sewing stitches can be different in ribbonwork. For example, most quilters will fold under the raw edges of their applique pieces while many ribbonworkers will not unless they are doing certain kinds of geometric designs. For floral and other ribbon designs you can do the folding if you wish, that is how it was originally done but many of us don't have the time or patience for that and so prefer to stitch over the raw edges with machine zigzag stitching. Practice with different kinds of fabric, stabilizers and stitching. There is more than one way to do ribbonwork so experiment to see what works well for you. Have fun!

Comment

OHH Great advice Czechy!! I always forget about the library...I always tend to buy books cause I am a book fanatic... and would not have thought about that!!

Comment

thanks girls! hey blackbear! can you still e-mail me?????

-Kelli

Comment

Yep will do that right now

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X