Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moccasin Soles.

Hello Kids,

I've got a couple of questions. Who makes mox?? What's your preferred sole?? Where do you get it?? How is it to work with??

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

I use latigo - get it at the leather shop, unless I need white soles. In that case I order from Crazy Crow.

Comment

Interesting.

How's that latigo working for ya? I just made a couple of pair with it. I still like the idea of rawhide soles, but that latigo is so much easier to work with, and cheaper. Seems to hold up fairly well so far but I haven't danced much. Anyone else out there use it ? ? What do you think of it ?

dave
      Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

Comment

I really like it so far. It's alot thicker than most rawhide, and is flexible enough to turn relatively easy after they're sewn together. I haven't had to replace a pair of soles yet. And if you make your mocs slightly big and put a nice thick cushiony shoe insert in them, it's just like wearing a pair of tennis shoes.

Comment

I've used both buffalo rawhide and latigo leather for soles. There are pros and cons to each. I like the look and the toughness of the rawhide but they can curl up if they get wet. Latigo works well too except I've had a couple pairs that were really stiff and hard to turn. I've also had a couple pairs that were hard to sew because my awl holes would rip out. I find that the consistency of the latigo grain varies. I seem to have better luck sewing with the rawhide. And yeah, it is more expensive, about twice as much. As for wear, I think the rawhide holds up a tiny bit better. So while I use both, I guess I tend to prefer the rawhide because I know I will get good results where sometimes with the latigo its a gamble.

Comment

I prefer to use the latigo myself...easier to sew..thicker for protection against rocks and easier to turn... What kind of latigo are you using that is'nt white Lightningflash? Are you using the latigo that is for belts?
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Please, could you explain what "latigo" is??

If I make moccs I use leather which is normally used for making saddles. It is very thick and you have to drill holes before sewing.
              But it is a very long lasting leather.
              Just the sinew, which I use to sow the parts together, wears through from time to time.

But please, tell me what this "latigo" is!!
              Join my FB page:
              https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

Latigo

A Latigo is the leather (or Nylon nowadays) strap that connects the saddle to the cinch, holding the saddle onto a horse. Hense the term Latigo leather.

What you are talking about is thick leather, probably saddle skirting of a commercial variety. This is the type of leather commonly called latigo, sold in most saddle shops today.

Comment

Blackbear-

I use white soles if I'm making white mocs or boots. But normally I use regular brown saddle latigo, because it matches better when making mocs out of the smoked braintanned leather.

Comment

TANDY LEATHER!!!!!!!!!
                    i use glovers needles....no need to waste time drilling holes!
                    .o0~CLAY~0o.

Comment

Latigo

I'm using a white latigo, smooth on one side, kinda rough like on the other. It's 1/4 inchish thick, easy to sew thru with a golvers needle and really easy to turn, compared to rawhide. My only complaint is that it gets kinda soft when it's wet. Other than that I kinda like it. A friend has some sole material that's really thin . . . not even sure I could find enough edge to stick a needle into, and really, really stiff. Can't even bend the stuff. I'm waay not trying that one. Guess I'll stick to what I've got for now. Was kinda hoping someone here knew of that perfect rawhide. . . . LOL.

dave

Comment

Re: Latigo

Originally posted by whirlwind
                        A Latigo is the leather (or Nylon nowadays) strap that connects the saddle to the cinch, holding the saddle onto a horse. Hense the term Latigo leather.

What you are talking about is thick leather, probably saddle skirting of a commercial variety. This is the type of leather commonly called latigo, sold in most saddle shops today.
                        thanks, for your input.
                        :D
                        Join my FB page:
                        https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

Comment

I like to use latigo over other thick leather. The latigo is easier to work with and it seems to have more cushion for the feet. I prefer the latigo that is about 1/2 inch thick. YOU can find it from most order companies such as Crazy Crow, Grey owl, etc.. I like to buy mine from a vendor at a Powwow. I can hand pick the sheet of latigo that I want. The best I've found has always been from a trader named Harvey Payne.

Latigo is much easier to sew and turn. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Wa-Do!!!!!!!!!
                          BOB

Comment

If you want to try rawhide, it has to be buffalo rawhide 'cuz that's the only kind thick enough for mocs soles. The stuff sold through Crazy Crow, Matoska and others is too thin. I get my soles from a guy in South Dakota and he's the only supplier I know of.

Comment

South Dakota???

Hey Cezechy,

Who would that be?? I found siouxtrading.com (a friend showed me) and they have buffalo soles. Who's your hook up for it? And what's it cost. Sioux Trading is around 25 bucks a pair.

Dave

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X