Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about fans

Hi all,

I am interested in making a fan to go with my outfit. I was wondering about the general way that you go about doing it - what you use for a handle, if you bead first then put the feathers into the handle (i've seen some wooden handles where you can do that), etc.

Also, about feathers. What feathers did you use in yours? If they are Eagle, did you receive them from family or get them some other way? If something else, what made you choose those?

Thanks!

seems a bit weird replying to myself. ;)

I just wanted to clarify a bit. I am Native American, but I wasn't raised traditionally and neither were my mother or aunts. So I'm trying to learn more about things, and one of the things that I have never heard much about is how/why people receive feathers, etc, so I'm curious to know about it.

Also, I wonder how people here feel about the us fish/wildlife fulfilling requests for Eagle feathers and the like. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for asking, but I thought I would throw it out there to try to learn some more.

Thanks!

Comment

My advice...don't follow the trends. Find something that has meaning to you. For instance, I made a wing fan using a turkey wing. Turkeys are part of many stories from my tribe. Learn about your own history, and come up with your own ideas.

Also, I'm from Louisiana. Cypress knees are prevalent. Those are the roots of cypress trees that stick straight up in the swamps. So...I stripped the bark from a cypress knee, smoothed it down, dug a whole in the center, glued the feathers in, covered the hole and glue with rabbit fur, and placed a small strip of loombeadwork in the same area. It looks great.

Bottomline...be creative.

As far as eagle feathers. I would personally rather receive them as a gift than through wildlife services. I'm content with my turkey wing until that day.

Comment

I made my wife a flat fan of Bald Eagle tail feathers. I too have a flat fan of Eagle. I have 2 Wing fans. I have made some fans of Red Tail Hawk tail feathers( they are much smaller) makes a nice small fan. I made a nice looking turkey tail fan (flat fan) the feathers were trimmed and shortened. I beaded the quills and the handle. I have beaded the handle before and after the feathers were in place.

All personal preference.

We have Eagle feathers both given to use and those that we ordered from the Fish and Wild life. The given feathers are always nicer than the mailorder birds.
        BOB

Comment

I just finished making a bunch of fans with cedar handles, I use the band saw to cut a u shape opening in the wood and then sink the complete tail into the wood or wings for that matter. I am now as well making them with antler and deer legs!
          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I'm in the middle of beading the handle of my sisters fan that I've been making. I did some simple featherwork, thread wrapping and set it together with a dowel rod for a handle in Bondo , covered with leather and now beading with 9/3 cut beads. looking pretty good so far but I wish I had done the extensions shorter.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Last night on the way home creator rewarded me witha body of a decapitated Red Shouldered Hawk. This is the fiorst one I have ever gotten. So he will be honoured with a fan made with deer legs. One fan for the tail and another for both wings!!! When I get done I will post pics of that too!!!
              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
              Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X