any tips for making mocs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips for making mocs???

ok...someday soon I'm going to make some new shoes for myself...LOL...after I finish all my orders for other people, that is!!! But in the past my mocs have been made by others...now I wanna make my own. I'm talking about southern style Comanche looking knee-high "boots" by the way.

I bought a Missouri River pattern to help me out, but I was wondering if anybody had any helpful hints or techniques that the pattern may not cover??? I always alter patterns to make 'em look just right, but I've never done this mocs pattern before.

Just bummin' for some tips!!! Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

See my trading post ads
    See my photo gallery
    See walela49's myspace page

Boy o' boy--about a summer ago..I was heading out to a powwow the next day, so that night before I was getting my dress and ect all together and stuff. Right, So I could only find one moc. Damn that sucked....So me and my homegurl had no other choice but to make new ones...Remind you, I had nothing really to sew it with..So having no choice but to use the sewing machine we wipped me up some mocs in about a hour...Not including all the time we spent fixing the darn things because we couldnt get the top to go right...We didnt have no pattern, just traced my toes and kept sewing..! Lots of luck to you..! ITs not as hard as you think. Thats why theres something called trial and error...haha Heck, they came out better with the sewing machine and still got them til this day.. The leather was a problem at first because it kept messing the needle. But you should have no problem....
    blah blah blah....

Comment

Pick your hide well.

To quote my teacher: "Measure twice, cut once."

If you're using latigo soles: Really massage that sole leather before sewing, to get it nice and loose so it will turn easily.

Sew the stitches on the instep and bit closer than on the toe or heel. This keeps the seam from pulling when you turn 'em.

Don't do what one lady did in my class and get all eager and sew the leggin part on before turning (and inside out) ;)

Use a welt, even if it isn't traditional. It can really protect your seam.

Comment

use and awl to premake your holes in the sole to save your fingers... if you don't have an awl.. get a heavy/thick piece of your hide for helping you push your needle through the latigo and use it like a grip to pull the needle out the other side as well. Also if you make a stay in place stitch at the toe, each of the sides and the heel, it will help keep you from stretching (pulling it tight) your leather as you go around the sole and makes it easier to do stitches as well.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist
          Pick your hide well..
          so should the thicker spots in the hide be good to use near the toe area, or heel maybe???
          sigpic

See my trading post ads
          See my photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
            Also if you make a stay in place stitch at the toe, each of the sides and the heel, it will help keep you from stretching (pulling it tight) your leather as you go around the sole and makes it easier to do stitches as well.
            oooh, good idea!!!
            sigpic

See my trading post ads
            See my photo gallery

Comment

I*ve found this thread here from pwbum very instructive http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...3&page=7&pp=15

Hm looking what*s coming up to me

Comment

Blackbear

What's a stay in place stitch?

dave
                Build a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life.

Comment

i think it is a fixing stitch, which u make @the toes and @the heels?

Hm looking what*s coming up to me

Comment

Put the thicker part at the heel.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose
                      Put the thicker part at the heel.
                      ok thanks! ;)
                      sigpic

See my trading post ads
                      See my photo gallery

Comment

stay in place..like stitch through your moc, sole and welt at the toe and tie it off.. do the same at the sides and heel so that your leather is already in place.. and now can be stitched together all the way around.
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.