Fabric Applique Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric Applique Help!!

Hello all... I have absolutly no idea how to do fabric applique. someone wanna explain it to me? i would love to put some on my jingle dress! Thanks guys....

~Kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

I normally use fusible webbing and satin stitch the edges- unless I use heat 'n' bond then I just fray check it.

Comment

Yep, that's about it.

Buy some Wonder-under. Fuse it to the fabric using the directions. Draw your designs on the paper side and cut it out. Then peel off the paper and fuse it to your dress. Then satin stitch the edges.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

a tight zig zag stitch works good in place of a satin stitch as well. And the wonder under method is so much faster and easier than the old cut and fold method.
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

ok let me tell you about my wonder under mistake... yeah so on my jingle dress i wanted 4 diamonds, yellow, white, red and black. each getting smaller to they would be ontop of each other but you can still see each color. then i was going to put jingles around the edges. So i had the great idea of using thw wonder stuff under each diamond and then sew it on. Well i used it and covered the WHOLE DIAMOND and they are on the bottom of the dress so they are pretty big. And 4 layers of it is really stiff.. So needless to say i can't sit in the dress and i have to put zippers on the sides so i can unzip it to sit, should have only used the wonders tuff on the edges. OOPS!
          ~Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

ROFLMAO!!! Oh man I can only imagine! That thick might protect you from bullets as well!
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

OH BTW.. NatChk... I saw on a sewing show how to do that easier.. use stitch witchery, it's like wonder under in a strip.. but you don't have to iron it on the fabric first, you just push it on the fabric and it temporarily stays. Use that on the edges of your diamonds, stack them one at a time, but go behind the bigger diamone and trim that area off so that just the edges of the next diamond cover it with the stitch witchery. It keeps it from getting too thick at the center.

Comment

I've tacked stuff down with painter's paper tape and zigzaged over that

Comment

haha bullets! or a frybread throwing contest!
                  Well it is allready done and made so now i know what to do in the future. Thanks everyone!

~Kelli

Comment

LOL @ you guys.....

Well after doing all the applique's on my son's regalia, there is only one product that I .... will only use. Its called Steam-a seam 2, comes in sheets or like 1/4, 1/2, 5/8 rolls. This stuff is awesome plus it won't gum up your needle when you do your stitching. It also does a permanent bonding under low heat, no steam so you won't burn your fabric. Plus after one washing it will ease up, not be stiff. Also, it has a little bit of a sticky side after you peel off the paper so your applique will stay put until you iron it on. Not like some of the others which tend to slide, especially when you use stuff like satin or the slipperier fabrics. Believe me, I have tried special fabric glues, bonding agents, other web fusing stuff, and those don't just cut it. There are many type of fusing agents but if your going to zigzage or satin stitch your stuff then don't bother, your needle will gum up and the thread will break all the time. You can get steam-a-seam 2 at either Hancock or ummm Joanne's Fabric. I don't recall Wal-mart has any, I remember looking for some at 2am.... after I ran out....lol.

There is another one that I use but you have to use it on a higher iron setting, the only problem I had with this one was that it tended to burn the fabric a little :(. But its great if your using cottons or something like that. Its a double sided fusing web that you iron on first, do your design, cut it, then fuse it (temporarily) to the fabric. You can get it at Joanne's but just ask for the double-sided fusing web (with the peel off back). Its washable and will come out after one washing.

Good luck!!!!
                    You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                    [email protected]

Comment

Maybe I did it wrong......?????

I am still a beginner in the world of sewing- no problem sewing shawls, blankets, pillowcases, things of that nature but I have tried the whole applique effort a couple of times...anyways the first efforst was on a shawl I made for my sister in law- took the sunburst/ gods eye from a metal object I have and traced it then cut it and everything ....I used wonder Under bc I find it easier to go to the wal mart by my house than all the way across town to the fabric stores..anyway I ironed on the appliques to the shawl but the edges are kinda frayed. I was trying to skip sewing them down but hadn't thought of using puff paint....I guess I kinda assumed that it would be something people would make fun of..then on my 3 year olds shawl I did the applique and then sewed it down. It looks okay, but to me it is obviously not as stricking or beautiful as the ribbonwork and applique that I am used to seeing in Oklahoma. So do I just keep on trying like I have been or do I give it up????? I am thinking about making my first dress for myself- a simple plains style cloth t dress to wear that compliments a shawl i already have if I do that then I definitely want to add some applique...so what do you all think?????
                      OrangePridendnds1
                      "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                      Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                      ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                      Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Hmmm, I have done up to 6 layers of wonder under with no bad results. Unless it's the heavy duty kind, or the dreaded Heat and Bond.

Steam a seam sounds promising. But I'll have to try the sheets. If you just fuse the edges of your designs, they won't look nice and smooth.

If you have several layers, you can always cut out the middles of the underneath layers. I suggest cutting out the same shape as the design 2 layers above the bottom. Then you won't have noticeable (panty-like ) lines.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose
                          Hmmm, I have done up to 6 layers of wonder under with no bad results. Unless it's the heavy duty kind, or the dreaded Heat and Bond.

Steam a seam sounds promising. But I'll have to try the sheets. If you just fuse the edges of your designs, they won't look nice and smooth.

If you have several layers, you can always cut out the middles of the underneath layers. I suggest cutting out the same shape as the design 2 layers above the bottom. Then you won't have noticeable (panty-like ) lines.
                          Said like a true quilter Wyo! There's this stuff I found at Hancock's that I swear by. It's a spray on adhesive that's water soluable (sp). You should find it in the quilter's section. I use it for applique, ribbon work, shirts, dresses, and quilts. It holds good and then washes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota Wica'hpi Ina
                            Said like a true quilter Wyo! There's this stuff I found at Hancock's that I swear by. It's a spray on adhesive that's water soluable (sp). You should find it in the quilter's section. I use it for applique, ribbon work, shirts, dresses, and quilts. It holds good and then washes out.
                            I tried that Dakota...... It does work okay..... I just didn't like it because 1. it made a mess since it just sprayed everywhere 2. it gobbed up the nozzle sometimes 3. Since I work with so many little pieces it was hard to spray, its kinda like watching a baby drool.....just comes out all pffffffffft....lol

Then when I needed like a satiny or really thin fabric to be stiff it was hard to make it stiff. I like the iron ons like the steam a seam because you can temporarily bond it to a fabric, do your design, cut it, peel it, then apply it. The spray is really good for like big pieces, I found, and for using with a thicker fabric. :D. I also use it on velvateen because when I apply applique's to velvateen they tend to move alot. *S*
                            You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
                            [email protected]

Comment

Going to start my applique project this weekend and plan to use wonder under mainly bc I have used it inthe past and it seemed to work well. Plus the price is very good at wal mart and it is easier to go and get than to go to the fabric store. Wish me luck as I start tracing and cutting and fusing and sewing to get my beautiful dress made....
                              OrangePridendnds1
                              "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                              Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                              ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                              Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X