X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Fan

Hi!

I hope you can help me.
    I made 2 wing fans, but now I want to make a flat one.
    You know that kind of fan, where the feathers are going straight and the handle is made of small stick.

Could you give me some help?

Thx a lot
    Selina
    Join my FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/NatamBeadwork

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!

what part do you need help on. the handle or the featherwork

Comment

Actually both.
      Cause I can't imagine how to get the feathers into the handle....
      ..all the preparation I have to do for the beadwork.

I've seen so many beautiful fans and now I want to try to make one.

Please help....
      thx
      :D
      Join my FB page:

Comment

putting the feathers into the handle is quite simple. there are two different style that i have seen done. one is holes (drill holes where you want you feathers) and the other is a slot ( a cutout from left to right down the center of the top of the handle) then, all you need to do is lie your feathers in, straighten them the way you want them and the hot glue them in. (i saw hot glue cause if you get tired of the feathers, you can stick the whole project in a microwave and heat the glue up and pull the feathers out and reuse the beadwork)

Comment

Hey tigger, very clever!!
          thanks for the help.
          what I still need to know is, how to make the middle part.
          I mean, the feathers are kind of broad, if you lay them out, and the handle is smaller.
          How do I get the connection?
          I hope you know what I mean....
          Join my FB page:

Comment

they are spread out at an angle... I have a link to how to make one, but the server for the site is temporarily out of service right now..I believe it is the webmaster's own page on this....PWBum can probably explain this really well, but when the site is back up I will post the link for you then.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Thanks Blackbear!
              You are a great help!
              :)
              Join my FB page:

Comment

if you go with the the type of handle with the grove in it, you need to lay the feathers out (startingwith the outside feathers on each side) at an angle and work your way in (the inside feathers will almost be staight up).

if your doing the handle with the holes drilled, then you need to drill the holes at angles.

Comment

also, it depends on the style of flat fan you want. do you want it narrow or do you want it wide. but it's alot like doing the wing fan that is shown on your webpage.

Comment

Thanks tigger.
                    You are a great help!
                    wonderful.:D
                    Join my FB page:

Comment

or instead of making your own fan handle you can buy a cheap one from www.nocbay.com they have wing and flat fan handles for 3.50... and www.wanderingbull.org has flat fan that just has slots for 3.50.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.