X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitehawk17
    replied
    spinning feathers

to let your feathers spin from your regalia go to walmart and buy large swivils not snap just plain swivils with a ring on each end ok now take the leather strip and pass it thru the swivil on one end take the leather and loop it down the quill across the bottom and back up the other side i dont know how much thread you got but you can go get any spool of thread any color pick one to match your regalia and wrap it around the leather strips and feather quill continue to do this until the leather strip is completely covered keep the thread tight that is what is going to hold the swivil to the feather after you wrap it all you want to then get you some model airplane glue and put it on the thread and smear it around covering all the thread this will seal and waterproof it as well as keeping any thread from raveling when you are finished wraping it with thread you can wrap it with leather and bead it or just leave the thread showing you can use several colors of thread if you like too to get the design you want the other end of the swivil is tied to what ever you want the feather attached to with sineu or leather thong your choise use something strong so it doesnt break and keep it as tight as you can if you use sinue loop it thru the swivil 6 or 7 times when you tie it off let me know if i can help you with any thing else

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    good point bum...did'nt even think about that...now that I do..I got to say OUCH

Leave a comment:

• powwowbum49
    replied
    Riverwoman

Keep in mind that if that if you are using them in your own hair and the swivel comes in contact with your hair it can twist it right up into it! If you are going to use it there then you need to attach it far enough in on the hair piece that it is clear of your hair.

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    LOL did'nt you just correct me in another thread about that...no wait..that was WD30...LOL...man am I bad or what???? my apologies to you too!!

Leave a comment:

• yuchgeha
    replied
    Hey Blackbear, I guess you get to learn two things today. I'm not a "her". :Mad

Leave a comment:

• yuchgeha
    replied
    Re-read my post with the instructions. Step #4, slide the end loop of the snap swivel onto the hairpin. Then step #5, slide the hairpin inside the feather quill. Take another look at the close-up picture of the end with the snap swivel on it.

Leave a comment:

• Riverwoman
    Guest replied
    Thanks so much! How do you fix them with the swivels? Or am I just not paying attention today?:p

Leave a comment:

• Blackbear
    replied
    AWESOME...Yughecha just started her own tutorial on something I did'nt know how to do...now I get to learn!!!:D

Leave a comment:

• yuchgeha
    replied
    This method is real easy to do. Just one requirement though. The quill of the feather needs to be around an 1/8 of an inch or larger. The hawk feather in the picture has an 1/8" quill.

1) Cut the tip off the bottom of the quill and clean out the inside with a piece of small gauge wire. 2) Wrap the quill with a clear tape. A couple of times around works. I use Scotch tape. This give the quill extra strength. 3) Put Elmers glue inside the quill. Use the small wire to kind of force it down. 4) Slide the end loop of the snap swivel onto a lightweight hairpin. 5) Slide the ends of the hairpin into the end of the feather. 6) Let glue dry, decorate and your all finished.

Tips: 1) Always wrap the quill with tape! Hairpins may not have a lot of spring tension, but they can easily split the quill. You can also adjust the spring tension by bending the hairpin. 2) I've noticed that hairpins come in 2 basic sizes, lightweight (thin gauge wire) and a standardweight (heavier gauge wire). For most feathers use the lightweight ones, but for large feather use the standardweight.

Leave a comment:

• eagleclan22
    replied
    YES!! thats what I meant, lol.... anyways

For myself just to add my two cents, my feathers are really really light and I would probably just weigh them down with the fishing tackle.. so what I did was I used strong beading thread, and tape n glue, and doubled up on the thread about 6ish times, then I finished the quill of the feather off with some colored thread, looks good, and its still holding. So theres a suggestion if you want another one, but I doubt you will use it,lol.... thats just my rez stickin out with the taping........ but loooks neat and tidy and still holding so I guess its ok
    Good luck with that, I hope it turns out :)

Leave a comment:

• Riverwoman
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by yuchgeha
    Is this what you want to do???

YES YES YES! That is what I want to be able to do:D:Thumbs

Leave a comment:

• yuchgeha
    replied
    Is this what you want to do???

Leave a comment:

• Riverwoman
    Guest replied
    Ack... anyone

Leave a comment:

• eagleclan22
    replied
    :( It Didnt come out the way I drew it :(

lol, oh well

Leave a comment:

• eagleclan22
    replied
    You mean for the feathers that you attach to the top of your head right not the ones that go in the back? Lke the feather plumes not the fluffy ones..........

!! <-----Fluffy Plumes
    \\!!//
    \\!!//
    \!!/-=== <---- Feather Plumes
    / O \
    ( | )
    \ | / <----- My head (lol)
    \ | /

/ \
    \ / <---- computer braids

Those ones you want spinning right??? the Feather Plumes (well I use the Feather Plumes rather then the Fluffy ones for spinners on my head)

(I hope my picture I drew came out right on here)

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X