Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beadwork-residue tape remover

Hi y'all

I just wanted to pass this technique on to you peeps that restore beadwork. This is a new product on the market for removing that old duct tape residue on the back of beadwork. I do restorative work on beadwork. Anyway I bought some beaded legging last year and decided to put a new look to it. I visually inspected the leggings and found that the maker of the leggings had duct taped the back of the beadwork. After much removal of some old duct tape on the leggings I proceeded to give it a bath in baby laundry detergent. After much washing and not getting anywhere with the removal of the gluey residue. My wife gladly informed me that there is a product available that removes adhesive on surfaces.

I am not advocating or selling this product, but it worked for me. It is 100% organic and biodegradable. It is called De-Solv-it http://www.orange-sol.com

There is a caution though with some beads it will remove the shiny surface. Especially on those painted gold colored beads. I will use this with only solid colors. Try it on a small area first before proceeding with larger areas. Thats is all

d
    I sew finished beadwork directly on to leather
    45.45%
    I hot glue the finished beadwork directly on to the material.
    4.55%
    I sew finished beadwork on to canvas first then on to the final material
    45.45%
    I prefer duct taping the finished beadwork first then to the final material. Duct tape all the way!!
    4.55%

about your hot glue choice... you can't sew through hot glue..LOL
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Beadwork-residue tape remover

Blackbear

That is big roger and that one. I was giving the option for those of us that need the work done yesterday. I have come across hot glued beadwork on several different beadwork regalia items though. Mostly I see the duct tape option used the most. I personally prefer to do it the right way the first time. Although, when you are stretched for time the temptation to take a shortcut is mighty tempting. Thank you

d

Comment

well that's the first time i ever heard of ppl using hot glue and duct tape - talk bout crazee man - some ppl's kids
        Watch your broken dreams...
        Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

r u for real?

ur kiddin' rite? hot glue and duct tape? is the duct tape applied directly to the beads?
          and how are the beads kept together?
          it's been a long time, shouldn't have left u.

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff
            ... some ppl's kids
            hehehe you got me sayin' that now!
            SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

the hot glue is easy to figure out

you just glue the string of beads on with the glue but the duct tape thingee i
              can't seem to get right? do u sew the string of beads onto the sticky side
              of the duct tape? then how do u lengthen the bead work?
              it's been a long time, shouldn't have left u.

Comment

I don't get the duct tape thing.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

i think the user just duct taped the back side of the finished legging instead using for example leather or cloth as a finishing touch - which i think is just plain lazy!!

but as for the hot glue i'm not sure - hot glued the edges of the finishing material to the backside of the finished item?!?

but i could be wrong though
                  Watch your broken dreams...
                  Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Me niether! LOL..DUCT TAPE will ruin your whole project...eww...prolly getz all sweaty and gooey too... I say stick to a lil flour/water light glue mixture and some o hu bi jo o'lady cotton material...stick it on and whipstitch the edge...heck then bead the edge if you want to....it will have a much nicer finished look to it and if you need to repair....much easier to work with. I wouldnt touch tha duct tape thing?!!

A nice finish will make or break a neat clean project....dont get lazy when your puttin the finishing touches....it will ruin all of the effort and time you have already put into it....thaz my 2 cents.

Originally posted by wyo_rose
                    I don't get the duct tape thing.
                    ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

@ ol hi vi zho material (E. Sho pronounciation ;))
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.