• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Privateer6
    Like my new toy?
    • Dec 2001

Hand painted feather Hints

Merry Christmas folks! One present I got, after hinting around for it, was supplies to make a new bustle. Instead of paying for hand painted feathers, I decided to make them myself. Any hints or ways to make a really nice imitation feather, general hints or for specific types would be appreciated. I was thinking about making mature golden Eagle feathers for the bustle, with immature golden and immature bald for visors to match my roach feather sets.

I've also read where people have problems with hand paints, those comments would be appreciated and any hints to avoid them as well.
    Thanks for the advice
    GJJudd
    Last edited by Privateer6; 12-26-2005, 11:04 PM.
  • Ron S
    Tiny Tot Dancer
    • Aug 2004

hand paints

GJ,
    When I wanted to do some hand paints, I bought a book from a division of Whispering Wind Magazine. Although I have not had time to paint any, the book explains the procedure very well and there are lots of color photos.

Here is a link to their site.

The only problem I know of with hand paints is as they get knocked around a bit, you will probably need to do some touch-up painting.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
    Ron

Comment

• spottedeagle
      FANMAKR
      • Feb 2003

One of the things I notice about most of the hand painted feathers I see is.....they don't look real. They are hard and shiny in an unnatural way from too much paint or the paint hasn't been thinned enough. Some don't look like eagle feathers and sometimes you see 100 feathers all identical. Each feather should be unique, just the way they are naturally. I think the book Ron S. is talking about is the Art of Simulating Eagle Feathers by Bob Gutierrez. Crazy Crow and Nocbay also carry it.
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

• GJJudd
        Like my new toy?
        • Dec 2001

Yep it's the Guterriez Book. I have it already and have used its instructions to make some feathers already. The directions help, but most of the feathers didn't look 100%. The ones that did, I don't remember what I did to make them look that good and I gave them away as a gift. Maybe it's me doing it for the first time that all the feathers didn't come out 100%?

I just wanted some ideas or trick of the trade that people picked up on. I start back up in school in 2 weeks,so I want to complete my bustle before then if possible. taking care of a newborn and a 2 year-old takes up alot of my free time at the moment, so any hints to help save time AND do it right the first time are appreciated.
        GJJudd

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X