Button Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Button Blankets

I have read a bunch of stuff on button blankets from the northwest coast but still am lacking on info of how they were made.

Is the red border a certain thinkness for certain robes? have seen everything from a few inches to about 8 inches.

Do the button designs on some borders have a meaning or are they decoration?

Do the borders that go completely around the whole robe have a significance? (usually see only top and sides with a calico spot where it meets your neck?

Are all designs family or clan designs? (i have seen photos of the sun design which was explained as a mourning blanket?

What is the difference between the green blanket and the blue blanket?

A friend of mine became interested in these blankets which in turn got me interested.

Any good websites on it?

thanks
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

PM me and I can get you in touch with someone that makes them, you will be able to get in touch with her, and get some more info:)

They are used by the clans up here for celebrations, potlacth, etc.

Talk to you all later:D

Comment

yeah what she said..most of the one's you see are clan blankets and each family sometimes has it's own design. They are made of wool felt or if not easily aquired then just a good thick felt. The buttons are made of mother of pearl and abalone (sometimes or in just certain designs). Been learning about them myself a bit and finding the ones on ebay for a friend who's part of a group that save thier button blankets.

Comment

Typically Button blankets are a blue or black but the green ones are of a particular tribe called the Kwakwaka'wakw. For some reason they really liked the green hudson bay blankets and they often used them. I'm not really sure why, we have discussed possible reasons in my class that im taking and one idea is that the green ones didnt really go to any of the other trading posts but stuck in that area, as the Kwakwaka'wakw was close to the hudson bays main post. Hope that helps!

Comment

Interesting! I was buying some 1 inch blue shell buttons, but don't know what happened to them.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

I must have had about 700 of them. Gonna make a blanket sometime.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X