T dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T dress?

Hi, I am new here. I have been sitting in the corner reading your posts for the past couple of weeks. I live in Saskatchewan but I am a Tse'Khene from the McLeod Lake Band in Northern BC. I am learning to dance Traditional style here in Sask. My band has no history of Pow Wow dancing so I am having trouble with a dress design.
    I am wondering how to make a T dress? I have looked every where I can think of for a pattern or a picture that I can copy with no luck.

A t-dress is basically the same thing as a long shirt.......just cut the top part from you necline down.... so that it's one piece, then add the sleeves and you can sew those close. As long as u know how to make a shirt, you can make a t-dress.....
    ~*~ FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS TAKE HOME UGLY SNAGS ~*~

Comment

Thank you Jingle Genie. I searched some more and came up with a pattern here~
      http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Omega/1854/tdress.html

It looks simple to make. The article says it is a Kiowa, Comanche and Iroquois pattern. I am wondering if I would be stepping others toes if I wore a dress like this.
      I talked to some elders from my band and they say to wear whatever is comfortable. I want the dress to be simple and comfortable, but I don't want to offend anyone either.

Any opinions on this??

Comment

I'm sorry if I offend anyone here.

That is the cheeziest website I've seen for a long time.

Ken Weidner

Comment

not offended by you ...but I will tell you ..iroquois don't wear t-dresses LOL! Our overdresses are way different.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

The site with the pattern is cheesy, but it does give detailed info on how to make this style of dress.
            To be honest, I haven't seen this style of dress this far north. Here the dresses are similar to the pattern but the sleeves are sewn shut. I will probably make my dress using the basic idea but with seams at the shoulder and with proper sleeves.

Blackbear, could you please describe the Iroquois dress?

Comment

http://www.littlecrowtradingpost.com/pagedress.htm

some nice pics of t-dresses.
              There are 2 types of people in the world...
              Really stupid people who think they are smart
              and
              Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
                http://www.littlecrowtradingpost.com/pagedress.htm

some nice pics of t-dresses.
                VERY nice pics of dresses. Thanks, billyjoejimbob
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Well that would be kinda difficult... there do seem to be some subtle differences between each of the six nations that make up the iroquois but I guess it would be best described as an extra long, dress length blouse... go check my gallery for pic of my daughter's dress
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Hi,I wanted to tell you (caroline) that you could get a pattern from crazycrow.com, thats where I got my pattern and it was so simple to do. Well I thought I'd let you know.

Comment

Blackbear, your little daughter is beautiful and the dress is gorgeous. I see what you mean about it being different than a T dress.
                      wyo rose and billyjoejimbob, I looked at the dresses on that site and they are really nice! I wish I had half the talent of the lady that made those.

Southern Apache girl, thanks for the tip, I will look at the site for the pattern.

Thank you all for your help :)

Comment

Janet Littlecrow Rocks dont' she? I have one of her shawls myself... she's such a sweet woman too!

Comment

T- dress

I have to comment on this one. I have been making Iroquois outfits for years, and never , ever heard of a Iroquois T-dress! And on this web site, she calls out clothing "COSTUMES"! No mention of skirt and leggings.
                          And hey Blackbear, what happened to the discussion boards at Tcom? Were we too naughty? I haven`t been there in a while
                          chemika

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                            Janet Littlecrow Rocks dont' she? I have one of her shawls myself... she's such a sweet woman too!
                            That indeed she is too BlackBear, and funnier then heck:D

Comment

Naw... a few members got naughty enough to close it for a few days to remove some posts..but another member decided that they wanted to be removed and all the posts with it so it got closed down and then nothing made sense with those posts gone.. I wrote you a PM...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.