• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josiah
    Powwow Dude
    • Jun 2005

How to Clean Eagle Feathers

I was recently given a wing fan made of an immature golden eagle wing
    However it had not been used in awhile it smells of cig smoke and very dusty and dirty
    Can you clean the feathers without harming them and if so with what??
    Any advice will be appreciated...
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!
  • Numunu1971
    a.k.a Numunu1971
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Josiah
    I was recently given a wing fan made of an immature golden eagle wing
    However it had not been used in awhile it smells of cig smoke and very dusty and dirty
    Can you clean the feathers without harming them and if so with what??
    Any advice will be appreciated...
    I have a couple of wing fans, and just recently received an eagle from the Fed Gov and took it apart. We just ran a sink of dish water and put it in and let it set. Then, we rinsed them off in the other sink with just plain water in it by gently going back and forth. It didn't take very long and I'm talking about the white feathers that had dried blood on them. Worked great.
    Kio-Manche
    Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

• Cheshire Cat
      Banned
      • Aug 2002

These are some methods used in museums to restore feathers.

One way is to take warm sudsy Woolite and swish the fan in it gently. Let the water loosen up the dirt and smell. Also you can use a good fine baby tooth brush to clean the feathers if there is some heavy dirt. Wrinse in warm water and then set on a clean towel to dry. You can use a hair drier on low setting to blow dry.

Some people place the feathers in corn starch to remove dirt and odors. Baking powder can do the same thing. I have used Borax but find it a bit harsh.

Since some oils maybe removed, take lanolin and rub it in your hands and gently massage or work each feather to return the shine and conditioning to the quills.

Comment

• Numunu1971
        a.k.a Numunu1971
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
        Since some oils maybe removed, take lanolin and rub it in your hands and gently massage or work each feather to return the shine and conditioning to the quills.
        Another good one to add to Cats suggestion, is that Skin-So-Soft that comes in a little spray bottle. You just kind of mist the feathers with it and let it set...Works great and you feathers will last a lifetime like that....Numunu
        Kio-Manche
        Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

• Cheshire Cat
          Banned
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Numunu1971
          Skin-So-Soft that comes in a little spray bottle. You just kind of mist the feathers with it and let it set...Works great and you feathers will last a lifetime like that....Numunu
          Love that....will smell good and keep the mosquitos away too.

Comment

• Numunu1971
            a.k.a Numunu1971
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat
            Love that....will smell good and keep the mosquitos away too.
            LOL..I never even thought of that! How funny....
            Kio-Manche
            Oklahoma Proud!!!

Comment

• Blackbear
              Honey Connoissuer
              • Nov 2000

citrus shine works good too or any of those hair shine/ frizz control products made for hair.. they are cuticle smoothers and you just put a tiny drop in your hand.. work it over your palms and then just go over the feathers with it... works awesome! 5 bucks a bottle at walmart and what you have left over is great for the hair as well!
              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

• Hawk_FeatherJY
                • Jun 2006

Now will those methods work on other feathers, ei: Turkey, Hawk, or Crow?

Comment

• Cheshire Cat
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2002

Those methods word on any feather. I have used them to clean my fluffies that get really dirty from dust. Just swish in warm sudsy Woolite, blot dry and then blow dry warm. Takes out most the dirt.

Comment

• apacheheart
                    Teen Dancer
                    • Apr 2006

....Yes...Woolite is the ultimate feather cleaner.I swear by it!!I've used a little mink oil spray on mine,but you don't need a whole lot.It makes the feathers real soft and shiny....keep smilin'1

Comment

• Hawk_FeatherJY
                      • Jun 2006

Thanks!

Thank you for you info. Helps out lots. I have some icky feathers. Well going to go do that, after I check out the posts & my e-mail. check ya later.

Comment

• smartybell
                        Woman's Tradish Dancer
                        • Jun 2003

Orvis Horse shampoo (great on everything including your own hair) is extremely gentle (does not remove natural oils) yet cleans very well. We use it on our feathers, plus it is a must when washing quilts and angora hair.
                        Just make sure water is not too cold as that may cause damage just like hot water.

It does cost a bit, but can be used in many areas as well as personal use.

Good luck
                        Save the Drama For Your Mama.

Caution, I have a lifetime supply of wooden spoons and know how to use them.

Just remember to only way to fix stupid is termination.

Comment

• Hawk_FeatherJY
                          • Jun 2006

Now Is that any thing like maine & tail shampoo? Cause I have that. I dont think it is...I'll have to look for that...What store did you find that at? oh & thanks for the idea

Comment

• smartybell
                            Woman's Tradish Dancer
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Hawk_FeatherJY
                            Now Is that any thing like maine & tail shampoo? Cause I have that. I dont think it is...I'll have to look for that...What store did you find that at? oh & thanks for the idea
                            No it's a totally different shampoo. It's in a paste form.
                            It's so gentle you can wash a baby in it.
                            You find it at a tack supply or feed store.

Glad I can help.

Good luck
                            Save the Drama For Your Mama.

Caution, I have a lifetime supply of wooden spoons and know how to use them.

Just remember to only way to fix stupid is termination.

Comment

• Hawk_FeatherJY
                              • Jun 2006

It worked!

Thank you for the info! It dose work & they smell so much better.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.