Mineral/Earth Paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mineral/Earth Paints

Ok everyone how do you all work with mineral/earth paints on leather? Do you use it dry or mix it with water or maybe oil? How do you keep it from spreading when working near it? Inquiring minds want to know!
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

If I am using the paint to cover a large area, I use it dry, and very sparingly. I give the item a very light dusting, then go over it with my hands to rub it in. A piece of 150 grit sandpaper works pretty good too. A rough piece of bone, or piece of pumice would have achieved the same goal a long time ago. A lot of people use a spray fixative like Grumbachers to set the color, but I just rub it in. Every now and then my colors will rub off onto other parts of the clothing, but this is usually because I haven't rubbed it in good enough.
    Curtis

Comment

when i've painted with mineral pigments (rocks i've collected) (ocher - red, limonite -yellow and graphite - black) i grind the stone to powder with a coarse file, and a morter and pestle to get out any grindy bits... then mix with bear grease (or some other rendered fat substitute), and mix with an equal part of hide glue, which makes the paint permanent (it will not smear or rub off. if you dont want to make your own hide glue, you can use rabbit hide glue that is sold commercially at art stores for 'sizing' canvas... in fact, it's called 'sizing' when you add it to any pigment... it comes in dried pellets (whats that big art company, Grumbachers?)... anyway, you add the pellets to water, then add that to your stone pigment/rendered fat mixture at about 1:1

hide glue will keep in your fridge for a week or two, bear grease will keep forever in your freezer unless your exhusband throws it out thinking it's rancid bacon grease (ayyyyyy)

Tara

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. I have used the mineral paint on some dusters I am making for my son. Since it is mocs there isn't really a large area that I am doing. I mixed the mineral paint with water and the painted it on with a brush since the water would aid it in drawing down into the hide. After it has dried it still rubs off a bit and I need to figure out how to stop that. I think I am going to experiment a bit and try mixing it with linseed or canola oil and paint it on that way...see if it still smears that way. I have a friend that told me he used linseed oil when he used it on a pair of tab leggins he made and it doesn't smear off, but he did them so long ago that they shouldn't know no matter how he put it on. Now as to whether it did when he put it on initially I do not know.

So how do you folks clean off areas where the pigment does smear too? I tried some 320 grit sand paper and it did a pretty good job.

Oh yeah...Tara, I definitely do not have to worry about an ex-husband throwing things out. I think the only thing that would get thrown out if I had an ex-husband is my wife throwing me out.
        PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Ok just what i know about painting in general...Linseed will eventually dry permanently but is going to kinda make things gummy and or hard....take care to use it sparingly...this is what is used for oil painting.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Powwowbum, I forgot to mention that you can also use egg white as 'sizing' as an option to the hide glue part. That reallly makes it permanent, and once it dries it wont smear. On the bear grease incident, it was my husband at the time that threw it out, now an ex! lol
            Tara

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.