Fan Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Construction

I figured this type of thread belongs here rather in jingle area...maybe someone here can help this person out?(See message below)

Also in this thread can someone make tutorials on how to make: flat fan, wing fan, drop fan,tail fan etc...? this would be a big help to those who use fans when they dance..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a little help, I need to know how to make a tail fan to go with my daughters jingle dance. I can do everything to make a regalia but make a fan. Can anyone help me with this I need to get it done before April. Thanks alot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dancinfancy : 02-14-2007 at 09:00 PM.

I'm not the greatest fan maker but you can buy wooden blanks from Noc Bay Trading post. (my favorite) or Crazy Crow has them too. The ones at Noc Bay need to be whittled and sanded, Crazy crow ones are more finished and are both about 4 bucks. On My fan I just basically glued the feathers in the predrilled holes, wrapped the quills with thread that you get at the sporting goods store for fly tying. I also Sewed buckskin on the handle and am in the process of beading it now.

Feather work is great for flat fans but I haven't the slightest idea on how to do it.

I could post a pic of mine if you'd like.
    Niin sa, Chi anung

Comment

This website has an excellent step by step method for constructing a flat fan

http://www.crazycrow.com/crafts/flat-fan.php
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

That web site helped but I still have one question. I've noticed that some fans look like the feathers were extended to make them longer, do they or am I wrong. Thanks again
        The look on a baby's face the first time they hear the drum is priceless.......

Comment

Originally posted by dancinfancy View Post
          That web site helped but I still have one question. I've noticed that some fans look like the feathers were extended to make them longer, do they or am I wrong. Thanks again
          That is one technique
          One method to extend, is to use Bamboo Skewers that you can buy at Wally World
          You cut the end of the quill off and slip the bamboo up the shaft
          until it seats then you cut off the excess bamboo to the length you need.
          Then to hide the shaft you wind thread around it like you were tying a fishing fly
          You can use different colors to get a nice effect
          or feathers or ribbon anything that you can use to color the end of the shafts

I have tried other kinds of woods like dowel rods but the Bamboo skewers hold up the best and they don't dry rot like some of the others woods do
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

Skewers or small dowel rods are used as extenders. The bamboo is tougher. The problem I've had with skewers is that they are so dang uneven. By the time I get the rounded out, they're a bit thin for my taste.

You need to be careful when you slide the skewer into the shaft. They skewer seats better if it gets into the pith in the core. But, if your feather is thin or has been exposed to bacteria from rot, it may split. So go slowly while doing this. A few prayers don't hurt to process. A split in the shaft can be repaired, provided it doesn't extend too far up the shaft.

Josiah, sir. Are you doing stacked threadwork? If so, how are you sealing your threads? Are you using the urethane sealer used for fishing rods?

I've been planning to do a tutorial for some time, but I haven't had time to start a fan.
            Last edited by OLChemist; 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM. Reason: Omitted something

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
              Skewers or small dowel rods are used as extenders. The bamboo is tougher. The problem I've had with skewers is that they are so dang uneven. By the time I get the rounded out, they're a bit thin for my taste.

You need to be careful when you slide the skewer into the shaft. They skewer seats better if it gets into the pith in the core. But, if your feather is thin or has been exposed to bacteria from rot, it may split. So go slowly while doing this. A few prayers don't hurt to process. A split in the shaft can be repaired, provided it doesn't extend too far up the shaft.

Josiah, sir. Are you doing stacked threadwork? If so, how are you sealing your threads? Are you using the urethane sealer used for fishing rods?

I've been planning to do a tutorial for some time, but I haven't had time to start a fan.
              Stacked? you mean in the sense the colors dont overlap then yes
              I do overlap one turn of the thread then start my row as tight as possible just like doing a fishing lure.
              As for adhesives do you mean to sealcoat the whole thread or just the ends??
              I do just the ends so they do not come undone. I work in the aircraft industry and have access to different kinds of adhesives my favorite is Loctite 495. Which i believe there is a commercial version of that just not as durable. But it must be used sparengly or you can have a mess, it wicks up the thread so you must use the tiniest amount.

I have a very old fan that was done on a machine that spins the shaft and then he would lay the thread on that way. I have look at the threads very carefully and am amazed at his skill.
              He has been gone for 20 years but still his fans live on...
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post

I've been working on tying feathers with the whole fly fishing set up, its working pretty well except I haven't had that much time to devote to this new project :) The main issue I'm having is trying to tie off the little shapes with the fly tying tools, but that's another story. For sealant...I have Gudebrod brand for the stacked threadwork (the kind where you make little shapes in the threadwork, I assume is what you mean). I also just bought a new sealant at Michael's that is supposed to be like thread varnish. It was really cheap and I haven't had time to experiment with that yet.

Comment

I found this article very helpful on the making of the handle for a wing-fan. Perhaps it will help you.
                  http://library.thinkquest.org/3081/wingfan.htm
                  J.L. Benet

Comment

what if u buy prewrapped dowels from walela 49?

Comment

Originally posted by sunktanka_sa77 View Post
                      what if u buy prewrapped dowels from walela 49?

What if what? I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

Comment

Hey,
                        If you bought threaded skewers from Walela.....USE THEM!!! She makes really nice skewers.
                        But I really liked the ones you made yourself, also. They were really nice!!
                        Look forward to seeing your fan..........and your new beadwork!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
                          Hey,
                          If you bought threaded skewers from Walela.....USE THEM!!! She makes really nice skewers.
                          But I really liked the ones you made yourself, also. They were really nice!!
                          Look forward to seeing your fan..........and your new beadwork!!!
                          srry i meant i dont kno how to add them to the feathers or to attach them to the handle or anything i jus want to kno b4 i buy cus it doesnt come with a tutorial or anything

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.