Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you use for breast plates....

breastplates, bandoliers, etc....

I have tried fishing line, sinew and beading wire to string my breast plate and it always breaks.

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent this from happening again? Glass beads are expensive!!!
    Last edited by superndngyrl; 03-20-2007, 01:13 PM. Reason: changed title of thread
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
    I have tried fishing line, sinew and beading wire to string my breast plate and it always breaks.

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent this from happening again? Glass beads are expensive!!!

Geez, what are you doing with your breastplate? Twirling again? ....T, yer supposed to take it off BEFORE you straddle the stripper pole.

GAH!!

Try using some weed trimmer line, it's plastic, thicker than all that other stuff you're using, and in general, will take quite awhile to wear out. The only drawback I can think of is, how the hell do you tie off or hide the ends?

IF that don't work, you may have to go for the heavy duty Tiger Tail wire.....Blackbear posted something on that awhile back in the Crafts Forum when she was helping me out with my bandoliers. I had the same problem, fake sinew, beading wire, etc......ALL wore out and snapped on me. ...yer right too, glass beads are expensive to replace!
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

So give me some tips on tying off the ends.... pretty please???

Last time the cord broke in the middle... but other times its came undone at the ends. soooo any tips are greatly appreciated. :)
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr Bo Jangles;907290]Geez, what are you doing with your breastplate? Twirling again? ....T, yer supposed to take it off BEFORE you straddle the stripper pole.

GAH!!

QUOTE]

HAHA! You made my day with that one.......
        I always use my sinew and have no problems. I just make sure and check on it between uses of my outfit, to make repairs and such, which you should always do anyhow.

Comment

I have always used sinew, I went a little over 5yrs with out a problem then it was a minor one. I have a bone and glass breast plate that is a bit heavy. I cant remember what my freind called the trick to not loose alot of your breast plate when a break occures, but when I think of it ill post it. As for the ends I burn mine and that knot is set when burt , by useing the sinew.
          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Try looping your cord through an adjacent hole on your spacer as you thread the beads. This works for Chokers, Men's and Womens breastplates, Bandoliers, anything that gets threaded through a spacer. This helps tie off each thread between each spacer, that way when the thread, sinew, cord, etc ultimately breaks, you only lose a small section rather than have the whole thing come apart. If the hole in your bead is big enough you can even loop around the backside of the bead and come back through the bead hole again. I usually do this with fishing line that is just think enough to fit through the bead hole twice. The tension of the thread in the hole will keep it from poping loose and scattering beads everywhere.

Tiger tail is good stuff, but sometimes needs a lot of weight on it to make it lay straight. It works well with glass and bone, but not always so good with plastic hairpipe or beads. Note also that depending on what your spacers are made out of looping tiger tail through an adjacent hole can cause the metal wire to cut right through a softer leather. Make sure you are using good hard latigo or even plexiglass spacers (not sure if anyone still uses plexiglass--at least for women's breastplates.)
            Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy in KC for explaining the loop threw the beads trick thats sounds alot like what I do in my spacer . By doing this I lost one middle strand verses a whole lot of beads. My spacers in my breast plate are made from a heavy white cutting board it looks like bone, ive had several people ask if its bone!
              Last edited by Eagle Plumes; 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM. Reason: oops
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I had an epiphany whilst reading thru some of this.....aye!

I'd thought about it, but, it seems a bit impractical and just nuts.

But, here's my idea.

Tie off between each bead and bone. Just like they do with strings of pearls, so, if it breaks, you don't lose the whole thing out in the arena.

I snagged my bandolier on my seat last year at Denver March, rushing to get up to go intertribal dancing......damned if I didn't lose nearly a whole strand of beads and bones!! I was beside myself when it all went down .
                Some friends tried to find some of the beads, but, oh well....they were gone.

Luckily.....I ordered like damned near a thousand of every color I have on the bandolier, so, I've got extra in case some get lost.

Danced at The Navajo Nation Fair last year too, lost a quarter of a strand, no bones, just beads. Gary Begay was sitting behind me, he lost a good row or so, but, he uses plastic....so, I guess it's not much of a loss.

The trouble with mine is, I bought a bunch of beads back in 1997 when I was driving up around Osage Country with some friends, visiting with some Osage folks, I bought a couple hundred strands of this odd shade of red, in a very odd size. ...haven't been able to find beads that are comparable in size anywhere since then.

...oh well.

I tend to use crimps on the ends of my bandoliers, instead of knots.

I've got to restring my bandoliers pretty quick here, and this thread is helpful, at least, as far as giving me some ideas on what to do or use.
                "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

braided sinew

Try braiding a few strands of imitation sinew. You may want to hand roll it after braiding. I did this for my bandoliers. Much stronger, filled the beads and bones nicely and no breaks in several years.
                  Ron

Comment

Super

When making a breast plate, necklace, choker, etc I use a flexible beadalon wire that is sold at Hobby Lobby. It is the 17 strand stuff that says most flexible. It will not kink like the tiger tail does. Down side is that it is kinda expensive. Now when I am really worried about a piece I will also run a strip of thin sinew through along with the wire. You just use crimp beads to finish the ends off. I have used this for the fringe in my wife and daughters purses, my son's and my bandoliers, among other pieces that I have sold and (knock on wood) I haven't broke a strand yet. You can also take a dremel and use one of the small grinders that will fit in the holes of the metal beads and 'sand' them holes a bit smoother. This helps a lot because those hollow metal beads seem to always have been the string cutters in my pieces done with tiger tail or sinew.

Now on a side note...we had this same discussion years ago on this board and someone said to use fishing leader. For those of you that do not know what I am talking about...leader is a plastic coated wire that has high stencil strength and is used in short pieces on the end of fishing line for fish that have teeth so they can't cut the line. They said they found it being sold on spools rather than the short prerigged pieces. Can't remember who posted this info and I have not tried this but I see no reason it shouldn't work. Most leader can kink though so that might be a down side.

Hope this helps
                    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

I've got to echo PB49 comment about filing the insides of the hollow beads. I use emery cord, which is sold by jeweler's supply houses. You can string a handful of beads on the cord and slide them back and forth to de-flash the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bo Jangles View Post
                        IF that don't work, you may have to go for the heavy duty Tiger Tail wire.....Blackbear posted something on that awhile back in the Crafts Forum when she was helping me out with my bandoliers. I had the same problem, fake sinew, beading wire, etc......ALL wore out and snapped on me. ...yer right too, glass beads are expensive to replace!
                        the wire I suggest is called softflex (tm). It's spendy but worth it. And get the heavy duty crimp beads and if you are willing to lay out just a little more dough, then the crimping tool.
                        You can even tie a small knot after your crimp bead for just a little added insurance and it should all hide within a bead hole. The stuff has little to no memory so you are'nt fighting curls either.

http://www.softflexcompany.com/
                        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Yeah.... breaking string is a pain. I am trying this fishing line called spider wire. It might work. I can't tell you the lasting effects til it breaks or doesn't break. A guy I know told me about it and his is still together.

Comment

Oh yeah. It is small. So, what I did is put the line through the bone/beads while it was still strung up with fake sinew.

Comment

I had never thought of this but, the fishing line spider wire would probably not be a bad thing to use. It is designed to not be effected by snags and it is supposed to have little to no stretch. I have a couple of robs that are rigged with it and it does work well as a fishing line cause were I fish my line is alawys dragging over rock and branches and such. You can also get it in some very heavy breaking weights (30 lb. and over) that are very slim. That used in conjunctions with wire or imm. sinew is how I would have rigged it too and should hold very well.
                              PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.