Velcro on Belts????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velcro on Belts????

Went to a powwow over the weekend and was looking at how a few belts that were for sale were put together. The belts I was looking at were made using velcro on the straps were the buckles go. It was explained to me that this way the buckles could be adjusted and still keep the beadwork centered.

Has anyone else ever seen this done???

What are your opinions on using this method????
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Buckles? What buckles? I have always used velcro for my belt...

It has the capacity to grow with a person kinda like a Fisher Price product. ;)
    Randy

Comment

ROFL Randy...

sounds like a good idea though to me... specially if you are the kind that has a good 10lb fluctuating weight factor.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
        specially if you are the kind that has a good 10lb fluctuating weight factor.

Or like my wife, talking about how she could lose 20 lbs. Why can't women ever be happy with the way they are???????
        The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.

Comment

I love being the sole voice of oposition.

I disagree with the velcro. First, I personally like the look of silver buckles, I'm sort of a tradtionalist anyway. I totaly disagree with the idea that it helps keep the beadwork centered, that is totally bogus! And lastly, buckles or velcro, there shouldn't be a huge gap in the back of a belt. I am familiar with straight dance disease where ones gut increases in proportion to the number of dances attended divided by the amount of frybread consumed minus the total number of drinks and snags acquired at the 49. 12 inch straps or velcrow looks tacky. I guess you could use velcro, but straps and buckles are not that expensive, not more difficult to attach, and work just as well. It's 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Comment

Beadman these had velcro on the straps where the buckles go. Instead of using a brad or rivet there was a velcro strip about 3-4 inches long for each side of the velcro. then the other side had the holes punched just like normal. I thought it was interesting because it incorperated both ideas.

Comment

belts sold for what ?

are the belts sold for dancers or for any one that likes to have one?

i feel if its for the dance circle then its not a good thing at all.

but if its not for the circle may be good for very young people and very old people but for me i like the old styles braid or iron with not a thing made from plastic that comes from the oil they put holes in earth for i know computers have this but a computer is a tool and not some thing i need put on my self.

:p :)

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan
                And lastly, buckles or velcro, there shouldn't be a huge gap in the back of a belt. I am familiar with straight dance disease where ones gut increases in proportion to the number of dances attended divided by the amount of frybread consumed minus the total number of drinks and snags acquired at the 49. 12 inch straps or velcrow looks tacky.
                hehehe. I agree. My velcro is sewed on to deerskin sections that were then sewed on to the canvas backing of my beadwork. the flaps overlap so that when my belt is on, no velcro is showing. All that shows is leather or beadwork. Originally there was only about 4 inches of leather showing in the back that was then hidden by the back plate of whatever bustle I happened to be wearing. (that was when I was 17 or so, now that I have "matured" its more like 8-9 inches that show. I had to re-do the closure a few years ago.)
                Randy

Comment

Re: belts sold for what ?

Originally posted by Bill Windwalker
                  are the belts sold for dancers or for any one that likes to have one?

i feel if its for the dance circle then its not a good thing at all.

but if its not for the circle may be good for very young people and very old people but for me i like the old styles braid or iron with not a thing made from plastic that comes from the oil they put holes in earth for i know computers have this but a computer is a tool and not some thing i need put on my self.

:p :)
                  I hate to point out the obvious, but buckles aren't very traditional in the scheme of things, either. Buckles = white man invention. Iron comes from a hole in the ground, too, if I'm not mistaken. If you got rid of everything "new," then what? Are we ready to abandon duct tape and safety pins b/c they aren't tradish?

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I know people are entitled to their own opinions, but jeesh, this kind of stuff perpetuates stereotypes.

Comment

TAKE AWAY MY DUCT TAPE!!!!!!:Yell

Them's Fight'n Words!

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan
                      I am familiar with straight dance disease where ones gut increases in proportion to the number of dances attended divided by the amount of frybread consumed minus the total number of drinks and snags acquired at the 49.

:Chatter :Chatter :Chatter :Chatter :p :Chatter :devil :Chatter
                      LOLOLOLOLOLOL That's just wrong. hahahahahaha
                      SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

Re: Re: belts sold for what ?

Originally posted by park
                        I hate to point out the obvious, but buckles aren't very traditional in the scheme of things, either. Buckles = white man invention. Iron comes from a hole in the ground, too, if I'm not mistaken. If you got rid of everything "new," then what? Are we ready to abandon duct tape and safety pins b/c they aren't tradish?

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and I know people are entitled to their own opinions, but jeesh, this kind of stuff perpetuates stereotypes.
                        iron and copper was use by natives befor they ever come to this land it may have not been looking the same way but many natives did use bone and wood as well do you think it looks good to see some dancer with cardboard and day glow feathers glue on to them as well as some others things that is starting to show up at some pow wow ?

if what you have on falls apart in the circle how do this look????

i know i may be picking at this but i was just asking if it was for in the circle or not?

i find it a shame to see so much of our skilled people not do in the work we one time did.

may be some will like to see the bead work from china be seen in the circle ????

i just like see in the real skilled work that so many still know how to do.

Comment

When I first saw velcro on leggings ages ago, I though, UGH - how untraditional. But I have grown very fond of it, especially on kids' outfits. It allows them to practically dress themselves! :p

Velcro does wear out. I suggest using heavy duty velcro if you're going to use it on a belt. But they're so many gorgeous buckles available - CHEAP! and I've never put a buckle on a belt in a way that wasn't adjustable.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X