Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feather Fans - Making questions

Starting to make Fans.
    Got some questions on what should and what should not be mixed.

Being that we have only State recognized I know REAL Eagle Feathers are out.

Been blessed this year with several nests in our backyard of “GREY CATBIRDS”
    and have picked up quite a few of there feathers. Was think of using them as the smaller front feather in front of the Painted Eagle Feathers. Going from the base of the feather their Dark Grey with a black band (little over ¾ of the way up) and a Light Grey tip maybe 3 to 4 inches long ½ to 2/4 wide.

I also have some smaller feather that can go in front of them.

I know don’t mix Water type birds (Ducks, Geese, Ect) with non Water birds.

Also someone gave me some Cat whiskers (Big Cats Zoo type) was think of having them in front of the Grey Catbird feathers.

Also was thing of making the handle from bamboo.

The tassels on the base of the fan will have bead work showing Family Military honors.

What do you think?

Originally posted by fnordhorn View Post
    Starting to make Fans.
    Got some questions on what should and what should not be mixed.

Being that we have only State recognized I know REAL Eagle Feathers are out.

Been blessed this year with several nests in our backyard of “GREY CATBIRDS”
    and have picked up quite a few of there feathers. Was think of using them as the smaller front feather in front of the Painted Eagle Feathers. Going from the base of the feather their Dark Grey with a black band (little over ¾ of the way up) and a Light Grey tip maybe 3 to 4 inches long ½ to 2/4 wide.

I also have some smaller feather that can go in front of them.

I know don’t mix Water type birds (Ducks, Geese, Ect) with non Water birds.

Also someone gave me some Cat whiskers (Big Cats Zoo type) was think of having them in front of the Grey Catbird feathers.

Also was thing of making the handle from bamboo.

The tassels on the base of the fan will have bead work showing Family Military honors.

What do you think?
    FYI,its against the law to use or possess the grey catbird feathers too...all migratory and song birds are protected as well as birds of prey...about the only ones that arent are game birds...pheasant,quail,partridge,duck,goose,turkey etc
    sigpic

Comment

As Skillet says, the MBTA bans use of just about any wild feather except legally taken pheasant, goose, turkey etc. I would recommend macaw feathers. They make lovely fans.

Personally, I favor cedar for the handle. It's easy to shape, which bamboo is not.

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
        As Skillet says, the MBTA bans use of just about any wild feather except legally taken pheasant, goose, turkey etc. I would recommend macaw feathers. They make lovely fans.

Personally, I favor cedar for the handle. It's easy to shape, which bamboo is not.
        I hear what you are saying on the Feathers.
        Mad at the LAW not you.
        MBTA

Maybe one day some Senator or Congressman will be arrested for pickup one of the feathers that lay all over DC capital area.

You see any problems with adding the WISKERS?

Comment

Originally posted by fnordhorn View Post
          I hear what you are saying on the Feathers.
          Mad at the LAW not you.
          MBTA

Maybe one day some Senator or Congressman will be arrested for pickup one of the feathers that lay all over DC capital area.

You see any problems with adding the WISKERS?
          Hey there, love this thread, my new fans are totally diferent this year, no more deer legs. Now I use young wolf legs, taking the bones out by sliding the skin down like a sock, remove the bones near the hand bones and then roll back up and fill teh sleeve with "Borax" powder, when dry the smell is absorbed by the borax and this also keeps the shape of the skin. No tanning needed, fill with spary foam and then set the feathers and let dry. Then close the leg with a wee piece of extra fur. Decorations do not have to be fancy because the fans is the fancy part!
          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I see that you are planning to used hand paints for the main feather.

I would use any or a combination of the following to do featherwork with...any type of parrot, you can get the little small feathers from any pet shop, most will give you the little stuff free. Lady of Amherst, Ringneck, Golden or Reeves Pheasant feathers, red top pheasant feathers (just the tips), and of course flourettes. You can get all of these feathers on e-bay, from crazycrow, as well as a number of other places. take your time, figure out what you like the look of and if you need help....there are tons of people here that will give you pointers.

If you were talking about extending your feathers for threadwrapping and featherwork, you can use bamboo skewers, like they use for kabobs in the grocery store or you can use dowel rod.

There are so many ways to do the actual handle. Some folks like to carve their own piece of wood, others use things like spindles out of babybeds and chairs; that have been turned on a lathe, some use a thicker piece of dowel rod. It all depends on what you like and what works for you.
            The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
            -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

what kind of fan are you going to be making [ flat ,wing or loose]
              i would use the feather from reallegalfeathers.com over hand painted cost a little more but are as close to the real thing i have

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.