Aging Bone Hairpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging Bone Hairpipes

I have some artificial bone hairpipe I'm trying to age. I've sanded off the outer coat and have used tea but I can't seem to get it any darker. Does anyone know another way?

Real bone works best for this. I cannot imagine that fake bone(plastic) has any pores in it.

Comment

I use super strong coffee to age my real pipe. Let it sit for a few days soaking completely covered, then rinse really good, use an old rag to wipe them off with too, because some of it will wipe off.
      I would think for plastic pipe, you would have to use something like a ceramic antique. Not sure if it would work or not. OLChemist might have some ideas.
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

OK, you're giving me bad research flashbacks....

From way too much RD on how to stick faux finish patterns on low surface energy materials, I'm betting you'll need to roughen and chemically activate the surface and apply a transparent silk screen or pad printing ink specifically designed for plastic. In industry the surface is usually made active by corona (high voltage discharge) or flame treating. Then a chemically aggressive ink is applied. This process is expensive and involves hazardous chemicals.

I'm not sure what the resin is used for hairpipe. ABS, Nylon, or polystyrene would be my first guesses. You can sometimes tell from the smell. The resin will effect the adhesion. The tea/coffee is unlikely to work because the surface of most plastics is hydrophobic and does not offer many/any sites for the pigments to electrostatically bond, unlike bone, teeth or coffee cups. You're relying solely on getting pigment caught in nooks and cranies on the surface.

I have four ideas:

1) You could try using diluted acetone to roughen the surface. (Wear goggles, gloves and work outside.) Then use a non-water soluble india ink or an acrylic wash to stain the surface. The acetone will destroy your nice shine finish. In all likely-hood this will make a surface that flakes off as some appreciable rate.

2) You might be able to get a polyurethane varnish to stick. Especially if your rough up the surface.

3) A solvent based leather ink might stain them. (It might also stain anything that rubs against them.)

4) You chuck the pain, expense and plastic and buy the real thing. Fire Mountain has real bone hairpipe cheap. (Albeit, not the finest hairpipe on the planet, but good enough.) If you're going to take the time to do this, then it is worth taking the expense to buy good materials.
        Last edited by OLChemist; 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM. Reason: Yikes, grammar.

Comment

I know some folks who have had some luck with liquid shoe polish. The poly stain works, but can become uneven as you are applying. The plastic doesn't "age" well, and the best I have been able to do is take the shine off of them to make them look a little less plastic.

Comment

After watching my friend "antique" some furniture I have a suggestion.

Use large grit sandpaper to put some striations in the plastic sort of like how real bone has.

Then use the Rustoleum spray paint for Plastic and spray a LIGHT coat of tan over all the bones. Then rub a dark brown stain over the DRY surface, wiping most off, leaving it in the striations, and maybe more at the ends.

Or, yeah, buy the real thing.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I can imagine that anything you put onto plastic items can only be done as a layer and will be prone to rubbing or scratching off in the future, onto your other items.

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman View Post
                I can imagine that anything you put onto plastic items can only be done as a layer and will be prone to rubbing or scratching off in the future, onto your other items.
                Unless things have changed, you can spot plastic hairpipes from bone hairpipes from waaaaaayy ober der!LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I got my hairpipe from Moscow hide and fur. They have a website, prices were pretty decent and the quality was pretty good.
                  The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                    Unless things have changed, you can spot plastic hairpipes from bone hairpipes from waaaaaayy ober der!LOL
                    Ain't that the truth. It's a trad off for some people. Look fake as hell and weighs as much as a full beer can. Or looks good and weighs as much as a 30 pack. Hmmm more is better when it comes to beer, so I chose the real deal

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman View Post
                      I got all mine from firemountain in Oregon, they are online too!

Comment

Here's a thought - would something like Krylon Fusion (spray paint for plastic) work?

Krylon | Plastic

I would think you'd have to experiment with some "faux [spray] painting" techniques and maybe use more than one color - dunno if you could get it to dry "dull" rather than in-your-face shiny though.

Real bone just seems like it would be a lot less hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by spottedeagle View Post
                          I got my hairpipe from Moscow hide and fur. They have a website, prices were pretty decent and the quality was pretty good.
                          I use Moscow Hide and fur for there hairpipe and they have great prices!!!

Much easier to age the real thing than try to age fake
                          What a pain in the arse
                          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                          Till I Die!

Comment

i thought everyone used plastic now. much lighter. Only the re-enactors and boy scouts use AUTHENTIC items now.

Im plastic all the way.
                            There are 2 types of people in the world...
                            Really stupid people who think they are smart
                            and
                            Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
                              i thought everyone used plastic now. much lighter. Only the re-enactors and boy scouts use AUTHENTIC items now.

Im plastic all the way.
                              Yes you are! OOPS, Just kidding:)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.