X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon shirt plan

Anin, i am in ned of a plan to make a mens ribbon shirt. Thanks,

nook
    "Be what you is, not what you ain't, 'cause when you is what you ain't,then you ain't what you is."

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!

ribbon shirt

Pard
    Okay ,good question . I went to JOHANN FABRICS in the costume pattern section they have a Native American page ,it's in the big books with all kinds of patterns by the way. Just find the ribbon shirt (In mine the guy who was wearing it also wore sweatpants) and find a nioce fabric and sew You don't need the exact same type of fabric. Apply ribbon at will You don't evern need ribbon . Good luck.

Rob

'i believe I can fly'
    Rob Young

Comment

Or use the drop sleeve shirt pattern from Crazy Crow like I use. The ribbon shirt pattern they have is more of a southern flavor than a northern one so i use the drop sleeve pattern for a ribbon shirt pattern.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

i have a felt type of meattrieal shirt that was gifted to me by a friend woudl this work fora ribbon shirt? it is short sleeve,i would put a pic on but i dont know how to. or is is it worth puttibng a new one together?

Nook
        "Be what you is, not what you ain't, 'cause when you is what you ain't,then you ain't what you is."

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!

Comment

Oh heck yeah. Jack Gladstone the singer was here and he had what looked like a golfing shirt that he had put ribbons on. Looked good!! The shirt looked good too! :p

But if you want to make a new one, use the other shirt as a pattern, at least for the front, back and sleeves. Put the ribbons on before you put it together.

Good luck!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Sure why not? I don't believe I have seen short sleeve ribbon shirts for dance clothes.. but as casual wear I have seen a couple. I make short sleeved ribbon blouses for myself to just wear anywhere.
            Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I bought that pattern you are talking about at a Powwow Blackbear, I think it is called the Oklahoma style. What a pain in the @zzz!!! And I didn't care for the ruffley cuffs. I like the ones with the collars better anyway. So I'm ordering the other pattern, the Cherokee style. But I might have to look at the pattern you were talking about before I do.

Just remember when you cut out the sleeves cut out one

THEN MAKE SURE YOU FLIP YOUR PATTERN OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you cut out the other sleeve!!!!!!

I learned the hard way!! Forgot to turn over the pattern, didn't realize it until after the whole shirt was finished!!!!!

I gotta make another one
              The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
              -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Dang, Spotted Eagle, didn't you ever take sewing in home ec??:Chatter Just joking, I've done that a couple times myself. Now when I make myself a pattern, I make sure the sleeves are exactly the same instead of a left and a right.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Spottedeagle

If you lay your material out - right sides together, place and cut your pattern then you don't have to worry about flipping the pattern.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Personally I didn't like any of the patterns out on the market and I had bought them all. So I made my own borrowing things from different style shirts and working one together that I liked.

I have the versatility to use a standard shirt collar or no collar...it has a western and straight style yokes that I can use or not...and I can go with standard or ruffled cuffs.

The standard shirt collar was the hardest part to get a good layout for and I finally ended up cutting apart on old dress shirt collar and tracing it to get it right.

I really like the pattern I came up with and have had several complements on the shirts. I have tried to copy the pattern for other folks but I have no instruction on how to put it all together so folks complain when they go to put it together...LOL....even my wife!
                    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

LOL flip over... Spotted... on that pattern is there arrows pointing at the straight edge of the sleeve that says fold? If so ..you are supposed to fold you material in half and lay that edge on the folded edge of the material.. that way you don't have to flip it over . Only do one sleeve at a time that way ok?

Comment

Nope the pattern I bought you cut out the whole sleeve in one shot. Only mark like that is the ones marking the center of the sleeve.
                        The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                        -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

AHHHH ok gotcha... LOL I just thought that you were talking about the pattern piece being half a sleeve and haveing to flip it over to the other side to trace or cut out the other half of the sleeve ! :Chatter

Comment

Ribbon Shirt

My mom is a seamstress that probably could email you a complete set of simple directions on how to make a ribbon shirt, if you like. The directions are easy to follow.
                            ~*_*~PAHKSIMOTAH MAHIKAN OTAMOWEW ISKWEW~*_*~

~*$*~WOLVES COMING FROM THE WEST AT SUNSET~*$*~

~*>WOLF*EYEZ<*~

Comment

If you must use a pattern; start with the most basic type with multiple sizes. It's so much easier not to use patterns; especially on dresses and shirts, our grandmothers never used them. I don't think I'd like going to a powwow and seeing 3-4 duplicates of something I'm wearing. But then again; I've been sewing since I was 8, and know how to make these items without patterns. I haven't seen the pattern Blackbear is talking about, so I don't know if it has ruffles, I'm sure you could just leave the ruffles off if you prefer. Good luck with your shirt; just stick with it until your happy with the result, sewing these things for yourself can be very rewarding...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.