Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sewing Tutorial

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sewing Tutorial

    I would like someone to put on a sewing tutorial, I can't even read patterns for the life of me. I wouldn't mind to get started on some ideas, but I have not the slightest idea of where to start. Don't even own a sewing machine, and yes I know to stay away from those simplicity patterns

  • #2
    Originally posted by Creewoman05 View Post
    I would like someone to put on a sewing tutorial, I can't even read patterns for the life of me. I wouldn't mind to get started on some ideas, but I have not the slightest idea of where to start. Don't even own a sewing machine, and yes I know to stay away from those simplicity patterns
    Probally best to start with a sewing machine LOL They make one of those sewing books for dummies too. Start with some easy stuff and get a feel for your machine and what the different stitches and settings do. Get the hang of the straight stitch and the zig zag stitch, I use those two more than anything else.

    I'd probally start with cotton fabric, it's cheapest and probally the most forgiving to use, very little stretch.

    What kind of things are you wanting to sew???
    The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
    -Daryl Baldwin: Miami


    https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

    Comment


    • #3
      uh yeah... cause it's not like you can just teach someone to sew in a thread like this... you need to learn some basics and starting with getting a machine and learning what it does is the first thing. If you buy a machine from a place that specializes in them like a Husqvarna dealer, they usually offer free classes.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        The only things hand-stitched anymore are very small things or for putting on bead or embroidery embeliishments and some quilting. For the actual construction of most things a sewing machine is a necessity. Each brand and model of machine is different and you have to get familiar with it on your own. No one can teach that. But once you have the owner's manual out and you play with all the things the machine can do, you can start with some simple projects. Check out books from the library aimed at the beginning sewer. Better yet, if you have a fabric store or a Michael's craft mart nearby, look into their intro to sewing classes. Once you learn the basics, you can branch out from there. Have fun and good luck!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the replies, I think I am due for some sewing clasess

          Comment


          • #6
            Uh yeah...start with a sewing machine, and PAPER!! Trace some lines and curves and get used to following the lines with NO THREAD. Then do some more lines and curves trying to shoot for consistent seam allowance: do a set 1/4 inch away from the line, 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch (pattern specs). Try different stitches , speeds, reverse and then sew some seams on scrap material.

            Actualy simplicity patterns are some of the best to start with. Although I wouldn't recommend any tradish type patterns from them, try a skirt or something.
            ...it is what it is...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
              Uh yeah...start with a sewing machine, and PAPER!! Trace some lines and curves and get used to following the lines with NO THREAD. Then do some more lines and curves trying to shoot for consistent seam allowance: do a set 1/4 inch away from the line, 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch (pattern specs). Try different stitches , speeds, reverse and then sew some seams on scrap material.

              Actualy simplicity patterns are some of the best to start with. Although I wouldn't recommend any tradish type patterns from them, try a skirt or something.
              Thanks for the tips. I am clueless when it comes to this

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, simple patterns are best to start with, but it's just as important to start with a pattern or design you like. Because you'll be more motivated, if not outright inspired, to be patient with yourself and your project. Something that makes you react, "oohh, love that." The great thing about patterns is that you are also learning correct fit for your unique body shape, in cheaper fabrics, before you cut the expensive stuff. Somebody mentioned starting with cotton, so smart. But if you see somebody's stuff you like at the pow wow or pow wow practice, ask them. As often as not, you will receive encouragement and some good tips.
                You could also check out craig's list vancouver for a source of 2nd hand machines. I haven't actually checked their list for sewing machines, but craig's list is such a good source for everything else.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I still don't know how to read a pattern. However, I got motivated, bought myself a sewing machine and just got started. The best way to learn is trial and error. I know alot of other women that have just taught themselves. Don't wait on taking a class because you may never get around to it. Just sit down with your machine and go to town...
                  We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The huge problem that i'm having is tracing a pattern onto fabric. I've gotten i don't know how many different types of marking pencils, then there was a marker that washes off and they don't work. So as i'm tracing the markings don't show so i'm having to go over it over and over and over and over again, then the fabric moves around a lot and then the material gets ruined Then when i cut the material it slips and slides and i wind up getting uneven cuts Any suggestions on this???
                    If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chirapachegurl View Post
                      The huge problem that i'm having is tracing a pattern onto fabric. I've gotten i don't know how many different types of marking pencils, then there was a marker that washes off and they don't work. So as i'm tracing the markings don't show so i'm having to go over it over and over and over and over again, then the fabric moves around a lot and then the material gets ruined Then when i cut the material it slips and slides and i wind up getting uneven cuts Any suggestions on this???
                      Try using white soap. I can't use it because it makes me sneeze, but it showes up well and doesnt shift. Just make sure you can get a bit of a point off a bar, and then you have it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Creewoman05 View Post
                        Try using white soap. I can't use it because it makes me sneeze, but it showes up well and doesnt shift. Just make sure you can get a bit of a point off a bar, and then you have it.

                        Good point, thanx a bunch girl. have you gotten a sewing machine yet?? i had my b/f get me one for my b-day, and they threw in 2 free sewing lessons. this was months ago tho, and i just got back from deployment so i hafta try and remember what the lady taught me. it was all good info too
                        If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chirapachegurl View Post
                          Good point, thanx a bunch girl. have you gotten a sewing machine yet?? i had my b/f get me one for my b-day, and they threw in 2 free sewing lessons. this was months ago tho, and i just got back from deployment so i hafta try and remember what the lady taught me. it was all good info too
                          Nope not yet Maybe someday, aye!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            well i tried the soap thing and it really didn't work for me. so then it dawned on me while i was doing some sewin last night, "hmmm, since i have the under wonder stuff ironed onto the fabric, I could trace my pattern on the under wonder with a pencil... duh!!!" and it worked out better. the more i sew the more little tricks i discover. kinda what like blackbear said, you can't really put a tutorial online for sewing, it's kind of hands on and every machine is different.
                            If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Chira, have you tried pinning your fabric down to the material. Then cutting around the edge of the pattern. Depending on what I am working on that's what I do
                              The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                              -Daryl Baldwin: Miami


                              https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X