Little Joseph Harley James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Joseph Harley James

My son, Joseph has shown an interest in the drums. We have taken him to a couple of powwows so far and all he wants to do is watch the drummers. My question is, my husband and I would like to make him one, for his 2nd birthday (July 7th 2003). We have no idea where to begin and the ones I looked at online where way to expensive. So far Joseph has used his little plasic pool as a subsitute. He turns it over and sits in his little lawn chair, sings and beats his pool with a piece of wood trim. So please if any one has any great Ideas..let me know.:)
    YukonWolfbaby

Try looking for Tarahumara drums

Here are a few sites that sell Tarahumara drums. These are drums made by a Mexican tribe primarily for sale here in the states and they are probably the cheapest you will find pricewise. They are well suited for a child to play around on and build their skill and interest.

http://www.800biz.biz/artsncraftsmal...0/mall2000.cgi

http://www.singingshamantraders.com/...alog&UID=10022

http://www.dempseycreek.com/cgibin/d...Drums&link=yes
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Thanks Powwowbum, those prices are awesome!!!! Might have to get my little one a drum, he's been beating on everything in the house since before he was a year old.
      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Drums reply

Hey thanks for the great info. These sites are great. I will pass all of this information on to my husband.
        YukonWolfbaby

Comment

first of all how old is he?
          if he is very young...try this.worked for our grandbaby....and he still loves it....
          go to a pet store, find large rawhide cew toy..about 5..00
          then find a hardware store you can buy wooden flower pots (they come in round and octagon shapes) i usually get the ones that are 2-4 inches thick and 10-12 inches around soak the raw hide over night, when completly wet cut your lacing saving just enough to over lap one face of the pot generally 2 inches all around take a hole punch and make even spaced holes around raw hide lace it crossing over opposite side of pot, let dry....you have no more than 15.00 in a drum....that looks..sounds.....good...i have had friends want em...and after he grows up....makes a nice keep sake..:)

Comment

drum idea

:) Thanks for the GREAT IDEA! I think we will try this one. Our son will be two on July 7th, so this was Just in time.
            YukonWolfbaby

Comment

kewl

kewl.....will also be something he might want to decorate in the years to come and you wont have mega bucks in it either.......any more help with stretching or anything let me know....i have become quite good at it..lol:D

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X