HELP i need to make a flat fan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP i need to make a flat fan!

OK i have the feathers taped in the order i want them in and now what? someone please help me now!!! LOL

~kelli
    If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

I made my fan using Crayola Air Dry Modeling compound, I would put something in the handle to extra stability though

http://www.geocities.com/birdbearcrafts/index

Just an idea .... that way you can just shove in the feathers and let them dry in place .....
    Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

ok so here is what i got from your post Tsiniti so i can buy crayola model magic and i can make it to the size i want and then i can add something in the handle for extra stability and then cover it with leather.....? i hope that is what you mean.. LOL i am not good at this and i offered to mentor my sister for her jingle dress and i want to make a fan out of some extra feathers i have....... Thanks for the imput!

~Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

theres some helpful tips in this thread~

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...&threadid=9267

Comment

Originally posted by n8tivechick
          ok so here is what i got from your post Tsiniti so i can buy crayola model magic and i can make it to the size i want and then i can add something in the handle for extra stability and then cover it with leather.....? i hope that is what you mean.. LOL i am not good at this and i offered to mentor my sister for her jingle dress and i want to make a fan out of some extra feathers i have....... Thanks for the imput!

~Kelli
          Leather or whatever you want, I have to admit I really cheated, and used elmers glue to put the leather on ... you can run a bead of glue along the feathers too .... if I ever make another one, I'll use the same method for the handle .... but trust me, mine doesn't have anything inside? That will be fixed next time, and is why I suggest it, it's light weight, and that is good, but just don't try to use it like a real fan on a hot day ..... got to hold it just right, or take a chance and break the handle .... But for a quick together fan ... ya can't beat it! Two hours, and voila!!

One lady used the same type material she made her fancy shawl out of (to cover the handle with)..... different!
          Your Heart Shows by how Your Words and Actions Affect Others.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!

Comment

I use bondo to make my handles. It's really easy, fast and the only way to get the feathers out is take a hammer and shatter the bondo. After it starts to dry I take a utility knife and carve it down to the shape I want. Sand it smooth, then I use leather glue to glue my buckskin on with. After making a couple fans, I've gotten pretty good at it.
            The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
            -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Hello: I do not know if this may help or not! But first of all I prefer not to use anything that is not a natural material, (ie...wood,stone,bone, clay if you use natural teracotta/Groog type of clay!). For my fans I use for the handle wood, most commonly (Red Cedar), I draw a rough design that fits my hand closely and then cut it out on a band saw or jig saw, either works great. Then I use a rasp to shape it to fit my hand. Now I must decide wheter or not I am going to bead the handle or not. This is determined by the amount of grain structure with in the cedar wood. If it has a lot of grain then I will leave it natural and sand id smooth and then drill holes in the end that will contain the feathers and get the position correct. At this point I will finish sanding the handle to a very smooth finish. To complete the handle and preserve the wood I will now use tounge oil., use a rag and wipe on several thin coats letting each dry about an hour between coats. Then after the final coat hang it so that the finish drys completely,about overnight.Now I would get some (0000 steelwool) and lightly polish it to a nice luster. Now you are ready for the feathers and other decorations that you feel needed! Now if you want to bead the handle, before doing any smooth sanding wrap in a buckskin, Then bead as you normally do, lazy sticth, peoyte, or what ever. Then install your feathers and other decorations! I do hope that this helps! Many Blessings!:)
              I am only a human-being trying to learn as much as possible while I am in this physical form. With each step that I become a more enlightened being as I travel the four roads to enlightenement, the (Yellow/Red/Black/White) after completing this I find that I have traveled , ( FULL CIRCLE) !

Comment

woah ironbearcherokee thanks for that info but this is a fant that i need to be done quickly..........and i dont reallt have the materials that you were explaning... but i apreciate the info!

Thanks to everyone else!

~Kelli

Comment

Originally posted by ironbearcherokee
                  Hello: I do not know if this may help or not! But first of all I prefer not to use anything that is not a natural material, (ie...wood,stone,bone, clay if you use natural teracotta/Groog type of clay!).
                  But you bead it...........................
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X