Crown Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Help

Need to make a crown an have no idea where to start . Any help would be very welcome . Thanks .. Lets Bead.
    Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
    Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

You have definately come to the right place!
    Are you going to bead it yourself?
    I know there are several ways to make it. But you have to know what way you want it done and then it is easy to figure out.
    I made mine out of Fun Foam sheets. I beaded directly onto the foam sheets and then backed it with another foam sheet and it turned out really nice. It stayed stiff and everything.
    I didn't do it, honestly. I have burned all the proof.

Comment

FuN FoAm sheetz...ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Well, i am workin on a crown right now for my lil'sista....i am just beading on regular BABY LAP PAD with a PAPER BAG..*L* lining to re-enforce the stitches.....Hmm..havn't really thought about making it STIFF with anything rather than the good'o ELMERZ GLUE to put on the buckskin lining and then a beaded edge to the final piece.

But hey, good luck with your current project and BEAD ON EVERYBODY!
      ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

Yes I am going to bead it myself . But I have no idea to how to make a pattern an all that stuff . I love the foam stuff its good for tons of stuff I use it on the back of barrettes too.

Comment

Yes, Fun Foam. It worked great! I will have to take a picture of the crown and post it here.

As far as a design, it would have to match what ever outfit you are going to wear it with. So most likely take a main design off your outfit and try to imagine it in the crown and design it on paper first. That way you can dink around with it until you are completely satisfied.

That is my two cents worth anyways.

Comment

off to wally world to find some large sheets of foam an glue an an an , so I will check back later tonight , I am going to try an do all of my regalia myself . Mom made me a traditional mohawk barrett for grand entry ( I am a vet) so I do grand entry with my eagle feather . But until now I have not had any regalia to represent my family so I am punchin in the dark trying to find everything I will need to make . Mom is not as young as she use to be so some things are kinda in the grey area as to what I need to make . But with all the good ppl here i know I will get this done (hope before I am 90) thanks for the help . See ya soon.:D

Comment

I'm another believer in "Fun Foam!"
              Enjoy your project....

Comment

Hmmm...i am going to have to try this FUN FOAM stuff!!! THANX for sharin!!!!:p

So...wait...you bead on this stuff...and back w/this stuff? thinkin "foam" how do things last on "foam?"...*L* guess i am going to have to try and see for myself!!!
                :seenoevil
                ~.~ A friend is~.~

" someone who can sing the song in your heart, even when you have forgotten the words...;)"

Comment

It is that foam like the figures you get to glue to stuff . It is real easy to work with an you can cut it in any shape

Comment

:D Just another little bit of info here . Any cross stitch pattern can be beaded .. every x on a cross stitch is a bead so now find all those neat patterns you wanted an bead it ..........

Comment

Yup fun foam works great! Both my daughter's and mine are fun foam ..but since we are tuscarora our foam is covered in velvet and then beaded.. so it's not like a fully beaded crown. I would'nt back it alone with fun foam, I'd cover the backing fun foam in muslin or calico..
                      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

I've never tried the foam stuff, like Jibby I always bead on the baby pad stuff (I think it's called rubber sheeting). I cut out my crown shape with that, bead it, then I use Ultra Heat-n-Bond to fuze on a layer of stiff canvas or some other heavy material, then fuze another layer of nice cotton calico onto it for the backing. I haven't backed my crowns with leather because it seems that it would be alot more sweaty on the forehead than a cloth back. Between the beadwork itself and the layers of fused material, the crowns turn out nice and stiff. After all that I do the beaded edging to cover up the edges of the material. You can see my crowns if you look in my gallery pictures.

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...=500&ppuser=62

Comment

I know one of my girlfriends (Deep Dimples) uses the plastic like you know flexible plastic notebooks to keep it stiff. She did one for us as a gift in memory of my grandparents and we had a tag embroidered at the mall that went inside the crown. Really nice~~~~~~
                          Becky B.

Comment

I usually suggest get some stiff paper to decide on things from size, shape, and pattern. I suggest either a plain brown paper bag or some sketch paper. This is really good to use because you can make sure everything will work out exactly how you want it with out wasting any of those materials.

Once you get everything the way you want then I would start the beading process. I usually back my stuff with a brown paper bag also. This helps keep the final product stiff. I usaully like to my crowns on a piece of stitch and tear heat-n-bonded to either the brown paper bag or someother stiff paper. In the event you pull a thread to tight near the edges and it rips, you can fix this with a piece of that brown paper tape. Just put it over the tear and cut to shape.

After you have done your beading,pick out your backing material. Most people will recommend buckskin or calico. The reason you would try to stay with one of these types is because they absorb sweat better. The material will keep the crown from slipping and sliding when you get hot and sweaty. Any good cotton material will work. Myself I love to back with baby lapping. The reason being is you just cut to shape and put on a little glue then whip stitch your edges. I put elastic at the ends and sew the two backs together so that the crwon will fit over hair no matter how you do your style. Bead edges if you want then wear it with a smile!!

Hoope this helps. There are a few pictures of the crowns I have done in the gallery under CYSA's pictures!

Good Luck!!! Most important have fun!
                            Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

I have a picture of the crown in the Gallery. Just look the picture up under my name and in the picture is me with the dress I sold and the crown. It turned out nice. I did use nothing but fun foam for beading on it and backing it. I sewed the backing on. Has held together really well.

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...cat=998&page=1

There is the link. *I think I posted that right* Not too sure.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X