X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ? for tha sellers out there

Hey everybody,
    this is a question mainly for those of u who do custom orders for ppl:

when someone commissions you to do a beadwork set, outfit, threadwork, featherwork, etc, do you have contact with whoever is paying you for your service? such as letting them know when you're gonna start on their order, if something has come up that you can't get to their order, etc.

i've been blessed with ppl who's service i have paid for up until now. before i've always had e-mails letting me know what's goin on with my order, how it's coming along, etc. but last year i paid someone for a beaded set for my daughter, somethin small you know as she is lil. this person hadn't e-mailed me since i paid (I only paid half up front then when it was done the other half). neither to tell me how many orders were in front of me, when she might start on mine, absolutely nothin. so after months of getting nothing a lil over a month ago i let them know that i was gonna cancel my order cuz they were takin for ever and i had someone else who could start on it right away. they claimed to have finished 2 peices, so i was getting charged for that, then they have a policy that they keep 25% of what you paid cuz they could've lost potential clients. so i was gettin a partial refund back. fine cuz i've seen their work and it is absolutely beautiful and i couldn't wait to put the stuff on my daughter. so they said they would mail it back when they got off work. Nothin. 2 weeks past, still nothin. i e-mailed, they said they were getting ready for some ceremony they have. kewl, end of that week again they were gonna mail out the stuff. nothin again. it's another 2 weeks and nothin. i haven't gotten a single e-mail to tell me what's the hold up. i am very frustrated, do these things happen????
    If you allow the world to change you, only then can you change the world....

Originally posted by chirapachegurl View Post
    Hey everybody,
    this is a question mainly for those of u who do custom orders for ppl:

when someone commissions you to do a beadwork set, outfit, threadwork, featherwork, etc, do you have contact with whoever is paying you for your service? such as letting them know when you're gonna start on their order, if something has come up that you can't get to their order, etc.

i've been blessed with ppl who's service i have paid for up until now. before i've always had e-mails letting me know what's goin on with my order, how it's coming along, etc. but last year i paid someone for a beaded set for my daughter, somethin small you know as she is lil. this person hadn't e-mailed me since i paid (I only paid half up front then when it was done the other half). neither to tell me how many orders were in front of me, when she might start on mine, absolutely nothin. so after months of getting nothing a lil over a month ago i let them know that i was gonna cancel my order cuz they were takin for ever and i had someone else who could start on it right away. they claimed to have finished 2 peices, so i was getting charged for that, then they have a policy that they keep 25% of what you paid cuz they could've lost potential clients. so i was gettin a partial refund back. fine cuz i've seen their work and it is absolutely beautiful and i couldn't wait to put the stuff on my daughter. so they said they would mail it back when they got off work. Nothin. 2 weeks past, still nothin. i e-mailed, they said they were getting ready for some ceremony they have. kewl, end of that week again they were gonna mail out the stuff. nothin again. it's another 2 weeks and nothin. i haven't gotten a single e-mail to tell me what's the hold up. i am very frustrated, do these things happen????
    oh wow sounds like your getting the run around.. I have constant contact with folks i make stuff for, and if theres a delay I for sure let them know and dont leave them hanging..
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Deleted
      Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:26 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Kaina1128 View Post
        yep, just went through a similar thing with my newest dress...they eventually came through, two months after they promised they would...and with NO email notification to let me know what the hold up was...i thought they stole my money! i paid $40 for shipping too, and when it got here, the postage said $14!
        girl i'm sure it was with the same person too, i remember you sayin that a certain person was makin ur dress. and they do real good quality work too, n have lots of customers which is why i "trusted" them.

Comment

I know how I am, I get all motivated to do a project then things get in the way and always take longer to complete. First off, I almost never do anything that is so custom that it won't sell to another person, such as a specific design or putting a name in the piece. That way, if the person doesn't pay, I can always refund it. I don't ask for money up front unless it is one of those VERY RARE custom jobs. I send a pic of the piece when finished and when I ge tthe money I mail it off. I almost always have the materials I need on hand, if anyone says they need money to buy materials that means that they don't really do that much work or you are asking for very specific materials that are expensive. Like I said, I always make things so they will sell to someone else in case the deal goes bad.

That's just my way of doing it, but you can see the contrast to the person you are dealing with. Send them one more email and tell them that if you don't get some action in 1 week you will spread their name and contact info to this group so everyone will know who they are.

Good luck!

Comment

I feel for ya! Last October I ordered 2 Pendletons at eBay and got all kinds of promises that they were on their way. When they arrived after christmas I wanted a refund and they kept money for all kinds of "restocking" and the shipping fees.

But on the other hand, I have taken orders for custom work for people and due to all kinds of circumstances, it takes way longer, or I get "crafter's block", and can't get started. Plus I'm juggling work, family and all kinds of other projects. I hate to give definite dates cuz it just jinxes me. Any pressure just makes it worse. Sometimes I have to just put it on the back burner until the stress goes away.

So I'm hoping you'll get something in the mail soon!
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I try to think about how I would like to be treated when it comes to dealing with customers. Sometimes I feel I am overdoing it when it comes to contacting the people I am doing work for. But I tell them right off the bat, if they don't want updates let me know. I've never had anyone complain about getting updates LMAO I will send pictures as I finish each piece if they are smaller or certain elements if it is something bigger. Sometimes if I get stuck letting a customer see a picture will start the creativity flowing and we will start swapping ideas back and forth.
              If something comes up, a family emergency, extra hours at work, etc. I let my customers know.

I agree it sounds like you are getting the run around. But maybe that person will read what we have all said here and get your lil girl's stuff done for you.

Good luck!!!!!!!
              The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
              -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

What a hassle. Hope you get your stuff soon. Or you can threaten to take them to small claims court. Life does have a way of sidetracking even the best of intentions but still, it isn't that hard to send an email to keep customers informed. Sending pictures of the progress made helps a lot and lets people know work is taking place, even if it is behind schedule.
                Good luck!

Comment

good idea about the progress photos czechy, I'm actually having the exact opposite problem right now. A item has to be done in 2 weeks and I have to make it around work and all. I can't get enough info about the details to start, and have it done on time....if I don't get the details soon, I can't do my job and make deadline....lol
                  So I put my hands up, they're playin' my song
                  The butterflies fly away
                  I'm noddin' my head like "Yeah!"
                  Movin' my hips like "Yeah!"
                  -Miley Cyrus

Comment

thanx peeps for your responses. i completely understand family problems/emergencies, work takin a strain on ya, whatever the case may be if they would've let me know i would've understood and been ok. but i never got told anything, i never got an e-mail tellin me they were gonna start on some items, how much longer i should be expected to wait, no courtesy e-mails. i just e-mailed friday and usually i get an e-mail back that day, well the weekend passed and still no e-mail. this person seemed so trustworthy too, they advertised on here they do special orders and there were even ppl confirming how great of a job they do. well i don't know what happened but i'm not the only one who's unsatisfied with them at the moment.

all of you guys (and gals) are doin a great job with your customers of updating them on their work, and keepin in contact with them. that's the way it should be.

Comment

HOw much longer are you gonna wait? DO you mind me asking what is left of your order?
                      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                        HOw much longer are you gonna wait? DO you mind me asking what is left of your order?

well she hadn't contacted me at all for a couple months, so i decided that i was gonna cancel my order since not only was she taking forever but she wasn't communicatin w/ me to let me know anything about what was goin on. they have a policy for cancelled orders they keep 25% of your deposit (which is 1/2 the total cost of ur order) because of potential business they could've had and they lost due to the wait. so when i e-mailed her she replied sayin that she had completed a pair of earrings and a back barrette n she was gonna contact the next person to let them know she was gonna start on their order. i had ordered those items plus a headband, hairties and choker w/ neck drop. so she was gonna charge me for the earrings, n back barrette and she was gonna send me a money order for the remainder of my deposit. my question is if she was startin on my order why didn't she tell me like how she was gonna tell the next person in line she was startin on their order? also if the earrrings n back barrette were done there shouldn't of been a problem mailin them out unless she told me a lil white lie to keep some more of my money.
                        Last edited by chirapachegurl; 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeadMan View Post
                          I know how I am, I get all motivated to do a project then things get in the way and always take longer to complete. First off, I almost never do anything that is so custom that it won't sell to another person, such as a specific design or putting a name in the piece. That way, if the person doesn't pay, I can always refund it. I don't ask for money up front unless it is one of those VERY RARE custom jobs. I send a pic of the piece when finished and when I ge tthe money I mail it off. I almost always have the materials I need on hand, if anyone says they need money to buy materials that means that they don't really do that much work or you are asking for very specific materials that are expensive. Like I said, I always make things so they will sell to someone else in case the deal goes bad.

That's just my way of doing it, but you can see the contrast to the person you are dealing with. Send them one more email and tell them that if you don't get some action in 1 week you will spread their name and contact info to this group so everyone will know who they are.

Good luck!
                          thanx Beadman. well i sent off an e-mail friday and haven't heard from them. i will send them another one in a couple days (in case they've been "busy" and haven't been able to read their e-mail) and let them know if i get no action i will do some exposin

Comment

Deleted
                            Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

OH GET THIS!!!!! So i took Beadman's advice and i e-mailed again today saying that like their policy if i don't get a response within 3 days (that's 7 days including friday until today) i was gonna do some exposin plus file a claim against them in court. boy did i get an e-mail back right away!!!! of course i got some excuse as to why they hadn't gotten back with me, and they claimed they were reliable as they've done so many beadwork sets and outfits they've lost track. i wonder if that was just countin the ones they do for themselves n family well myself and Kaina1128 have our horror stories i would hate for others to go through what her and I went through with these people.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.