Unfused Ribbonwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfused Ribbonwork

Are there any brave enough to do ribbonwork not using fusing or glue?

If so, do you baste the ribbon first before cutting and sewing?

If you do the old-style clip-n-fold ribbonwork, you don't need glue but it does help to baste you ribbons in place before sewing them down (by hand!). In this method, you fold the raw edges of the ribbon under so they don't show. Tedious work but that is how it used to be done.

But if you are asking about the modern method of applique where the design is cut out and then sewn to a base fabric by machine with a zigzag stitch to cover the raw edges, then you can get away with not using adhesive if your design fabric isn't too thin, stretchy or slippery. Cotton applique can be done this way. Secure your design with pins which you would remove as you sew. But you still run the risk of getting puckers into your work. The adhesive not only acts to make your designs stay put for sewing but it also serves the purpose of stabilizing the fabric so your machine sewing will be smooth and even.

Comment

CraZY Crow sells a ribbon that can be used for good traditional ribbonwork...bend and fold.

Comment

OK well Thanks for the input. ONce I get started I will try and share progress :)

Comment

Originally posted by Czechy View Post
          If you do the old-style clip-n-fold ribbonwork, you don't need glue but it does help to baste you ribbons in place before sewing them down (by hand!). In this method, you fold the raw edges of the ribbon under so they don't show. Tedious work but that is how it used to be done.
          I had NO IDEA how old style ribbon work was done! Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks for this little tidbit.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

OK, So the design is basic and hardly complex, but the baseboard has been cut and im about to go to town with an x-acto knife and mini-iron. goin Ol' Skool style

GOal is to complete by June 13th

Wish me luck, ill show when i make progress

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/tut...ibbonwork.html

Such a helping aid
            Last edited by ; 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

You can also heat up the blade of an exacto knife and cut and bond the threads of the ribbon before folding!
              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
              Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Tibiki Thank you so much! What a good idea! I think i have a wood burning tool that has an x-acto tip, that would stay hot. I would not have thought to use it! I bet that will help alot..

Im nervous and excited all at once, I hope it turns out like i envisioned, or at least deacent

Comment

Well considering how much plastic is in each ribbon I did that once with a lighter, heating the exacto blade till it was hot, then sliced across real fast. All the ends were melted shut and it was clean! So when you get to the free ends that are hanging openly just melt! Works on my ribbon shirt!
                  Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                  Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X