Cleaning eagle talons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning eagle talons

Hello everyone I have been reading posts for sometime. This is my first post. I just received My pair of eagle claws (after much paper work) one of the feet is a bit damaged so I was going to remove the talons on that foot. Any suggestions on how to clean up the talons. Without harming the them, is there a method to dissolve the skin, and remaining flesh. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

To remove them, go behind the first joint where it would normally bend, there use a sharp blade and sever the skin, go between the bones and separate. Then you can use a small drill bit and drill a clean slow hole so that you can mount it to a choker or necklace! Keep the skin on there as it will dry well, there is no flesh just tendons behind there.
    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
    Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Talon preperation

Hensci, and thank you so much for your input. Just be sure you drill the hole before you allow it to dry? And would it be OK to use borax to speed the drying up? Also it seems that the majority of talons I have seen have been cleaned to the bone, is this just a matter of preference?
      Mvto

Comment

Yes borax dries it faster, no to drilling, wait till they are dry, when wet it will jam up the bit and maybe you may run off at the mouth when the drill bit ceases in the bone and snaps off on you!!!! So be patient and let them dry, takes only a few days. I leave partial skin on so that it can not be mistaken for either a fake or talon from any other big bird! AS well it gives it class in my eyes! Here I get a blend ot talons so when people ask me could that be owl>> I can answer no, do you see skin or tiny feathers!
        I stay more traditional with claws and talons, yes it may wear off in many years but till then at least anyone looking at it will know that they are real!
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Thanks

Mvto, Tibiki I really like that idea! Think I ll just clean up the ends a bit then, and in to the borax about 5 days? And wow is that skin strong!

Comment

Actually the skin isn't too bad, it is the tendons that are really strong considering the pressure that they use to kill and hold!
            5 days of Borax in a warm dry area is good. Normally Talons do not take that long depends on the temperature and humidity.

I put the stuff near the furnace at my dad's. He has the temperature set at 80 so guess what, toasty warm and dries stuff pretty fast, skins usually in a few days. Wings with bones in take about a week for a big bird like a turkey or things that are small like a partridge take a lot less time!

Comment

I've got every thing in borax now, I ll let you know how things turn out.

Comment

Just a fast question, how much of the leg bone do you have, enough to make a whistle??

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.