Bow Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow Maintenance

I have a question, I have just completed my bow (most of it) and have successfully applied linseed oil (tongue oil is impossible to get out here) and I'm wondering now what needs to be done??

Do I need to rub the oil in, even though it's "dry" or do I apply a 3rd coat of it on the bow??

RRE
    Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
    I'm still part red man deep inside!~
    <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

someone told me recently they got thier TUNG oil at walmart
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Re: Bow Maintenance

[QUOTEDo I need to rub the oil in, even though it's "dry" or do I apply a 3rd coat of it on the bow??

RRE [/B][/QUOTE]

I allways go for the "P" for plenty formula with my bows. But that and $.50 will buy you a cup of coffee.

What kind of wood did you make it from? Long bow or recurve? How long is it?

Just wondering.

Happy and sucsessfull hunting;-]
      one of my favorite quotes:

"What we do in life.
      Follows us into eternity"

(Gladiator)

Comment

It is almost 5 feet long, made out of cedar. It's approx. .5 inches in diameter, carved and sanded by hand.

And thanks for the info on the Tung oil, I'll check this weekend!!

Ron Red Eagle

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

Comment

Snap..crackle and busted

I just hope you don't plan on using it, cedar is okay for decoration but it doesn't have the strenght! Iron wood is really good and mine is carved from hickory. It is 2 inches wide in the middle and tapers down to 1 inch at the ends, flat and only 1/2 inch at the end. In the grip area it is about 1 1/2 inch thick!
          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Re: Snap..crackle and busted

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew
            I just hope you don't plan on using it, cedar is okay for decoration but it doesn't have the strenght! Iron wood is really good and mine is carved from hickory. It is 2 inches wide in the middle and tapers down to 1 inch at the ends, flat and only 1/2 inch at the end. In the grip area it is about 1 1/2 inch thick!
            That pretty much sums that up!!!!! Mine are made from Osage Orange. In my opinion it is the best wood out there (in america) for a traditional bow.
            one of my favorite quotes:

"What we do in life.
            Follows us into eternity"

(Gladiator)

Comment

Originally posted by ron red eagle
              It is almost 5 feet long, made out of cedar. It's approx. .5 inches in diameter, carved and sanded by hand.

And thanks for the info on the Tung oil, I'll check this weekend!!

Ron Red Eagle
              Ilike your avatar Ron, looks good, can you tell me one thing though, what is on the right side???? Can you brighten it up a bit as far as brightness goes???
              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Tounge Oil

Originally posted by Blackbear
                someone told me recently they got thier TUNG oil at walmart
                So what kind of tounges do you need to make tounge oil,,, can I use road kill for that Bear?????:D :D :D

Comment

go to this sight and the will help ya out with tons of info.... stickbow.com go to the leather wall.
                  "Be what you is, not what you ain't, 'cause when you is what you ain't,then you ain't what you is."

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!

Comment

Re: Avatar

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew
                    Ilike your avatar Ron, looks good, can you tell me one thing though, what is on the right side???? Can you brighten it up a bit as far as brightness goes???
                    The right side has a golden eagle on it, left side has a bear, bottom has a hawk, top has a snow owl, and middle is a great horned owl.

Comment

so whats the specs on your bnow?? i shoot a [email protected]" longbow reveriesd handle with bubninga overlays that a frine dof mine made.
                      "Be what you is, not what you ain't, 'cause when you is what you ain't,then you ain't what you is."

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!

Comment

don't know yet, still working on it ;)

Comment

Mine is 54" and has about 60 lbs of pull, solid hickory. I have it in use only rarely now.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X