Leather-Working Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather-Working Tips

Whether it's making vests, skirts, boots, bags, or whatever...
    you can discuss it here.
    Feel free to ask questions, volunteer advice, talk about your current or past leather-working projects, or just post pictures of leather stuff that you've done yourself.
    (Just don't ask me. )
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Rotary Punch

Does anyone know what the best rotary hole puncher is? You can use it on leather to.
    2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

I bought one years ago at Tandy for $25. There was one for about $12 but it was way worth it to get the better one. I use it for everything!
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

The best rotary punch I ever got my hands on is from John Bead. Theirs is not only solid but heavy duty and works great even on moose skins. In all the years I never had a problem with it. Cost is about 50.00
        The soft tandy version with the vinyl grip is long gone! Gets dull toooooooooooo fast! I tossed them about a month after getting it!
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

medicine bag

I am making a medicine bag. I am not sure what to do with the inside. I sew completely through the leather. I back the leather with pellon. When i am done the sewing is on the back, if i then sew it into a bag the sewing and the pellon are on the inside. I have tried it both ways to make a rosette and then sew it on and or sew it directly on the bag. I am going to be ordering braintan leather and i would like my bags to look nice on the inside and out.
          Sherry

Comment

Tanned is all I use, no linings or other non leather stuff on mine! Fur patches and claws and such as trim.
            I have even made puzzle bags and trimmed them with furs!
            The beading I do freehand and then apply after! That way the beading will outlast the bag too!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

leather bag

Tibiki Kinew what do you use to keep the leather form stretching? here is a bag i just finished.
              Attached Files
              Sherry

Comment

Originally posted by sherryh1014 View Post
                Tibiki Kinew what do you use to keep the leather form stretching? here is a bag i just finished.

With good deer skins that never happens! Depends on the leather, if it is toooooo soft and stretchy I wouldn't use it! I always to a pull test from corner to corner and then if there is too much give I end up making lace for dream catchers with it!
                For heavier bags I use moose. The bag on my album is moose and after 4 years plus it never grew a bit! So careful what kind of leather you get and use!

Comment

You can line the whole bag with cotton material, or put a "lining" of buckskin just on the beaded side. Just cut a 2nd piece and sew it in place with the beaded side.

If your buckskin is too stretchy, you can use an iron-on fusible webbing and fuse either cotton to it, or another piece of buckskin. Cut the piece to fuse just slightly larger and fuse some WonderUnder to it. Peel the backing and using a piece of paper, or a "used" piece of the WonderUnder paper backing, place the 2 pieces together with the fusing side in between, cover with the paper and iron the plain side. Then trim up. If you're using a 2nd piece of buckskin, be sure to place it so it won't stretch the same way as the first piece.
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

Commercial deer hides tend to have a stretching problem- however you can pre-stretch them before you sew, basically you lace the edges of the hide onto a frame that pulls on all sides and leave it there for a day or two and keep tightening it (can't describe it better right now sorry) also, it helps if you get it wet
                    I was in a rush when I made my last pair of leggings and didn't pre-stretch and they went from XX to XXXLT in about 6 months, I had to rip out the seam and cut off the excess.

Comment

You need to test a small part of your hide before you go and get it wet.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Dear leather versus cow leather

Should dear leather be treated any differently than cow leather?
                        I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

My father taught me how to brain tan and I've done a few hides myself, but I've been helping my dad my whole life so I guess you could say I'm experienced. One of the hardest things to do is to make that first cut in a hide you tanned yourself.

I prefer to use brain tanned deer over commercial leather, but if I need something thicker I like to use elk. I'm not a fan of cow hide but I have used it. For beadwork I've used leather chamois (used for drying cars off) I like it because it is really thin, not something you would use for garments or bags.

I've made shooting bags for reenacting an I like to line those with thin wool. I've used brain tanned deer, oil tanned saddle leather, and elk for those.

If anyone wants tips for brain tanning feel free to ask.
                          What Cannot Be Remedied, Must Be Endured.

Comment

Hey I found a GOOD rotary leather punch at Home Depot for $7.97!!

Cow leather might be good for....a belt.

Deer is preferred for most things.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I agree and disagree with Rose,
                              unless I am making mocs- then the deer is far too light, so I use elk or buffalo...

However, for kids mocs I have used cow suede- it is cheap and durable, and with kids they grow out of them so fast that I won't spend a ton on them.

Mostly though the only cow I use is vegetable tan (the heavy weight belt leather) for belts and backings.

And chamois hides are good for little things and backing beadwork, especially since you can often pick it up at Home Depot

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X