Tule talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tule talent

any one out there crafty with the tule? My gramps and great gramps were but my dad didn't bother so I didnt' learn. any one?
    So broke I'm thinking of pawning my gold toof!

I hear tule and I instantly think ballerina tu-tu material.....
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Gold-Toothed,

I guess cattails or bullrushes are northeastern equivalent of tule. I love working with cattails, and have made a bunch of things from them including sewn mats, dolls and other toys, coil baskets, and here's a picture of some duck decoys I made a while back.

I also love to steam up the early shoots like asperagus, little garlic and butter, yum!

Tara

Comment

GEEZ TARA is there anythign you can't braid or weave?????
        Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Straightdancer,

Thanks for your comments, I like the old decoys too, and can see how well they would work in hunting.

I'm out in the woods and swamps, and always take care where anything I eat is gathered (away from roadsides, runoff, or sewage! LOL). I actually noticed a huge difference this fall, between cattails that were growing in a farmer's cow field, and those growing out in a sheltered swamp -- the ones in the field, I suppose from the extra 'fertilizer' caused alot more bug larve in the shoots, eaten right through in places, while the ones in the swamp were really bug-free and pristine.

The only mats I've made are out of cattail, sewing them in double-matted rows with a rib needle. Plaiting bullrush mats is one thing I have yet to try. Bullrush stands of the hollow stem type arent really plentiful around here, they really seem to be getting choked out by phragmities and purple loostrife plants. Every year i gather a handful, since it takes a lot to make a mat, it'll probably be a few years till I have enough.

Blackbear, hmmmmmm.... do I smell a challange? LOL j/k ;-)

Tara

Comment

Originally posted by Tara

Blackbear, hmmmmmm.... do I smell a challange? LOL j/k ;-)

Tara
            Actually I am just amazed and in awe..but SURE I can give ya a challenge... can you weave a teddybear? Like sitting up like a cookie jar shaped one?? hehehehe

Comment

and now to go completely off topic

Originally posted by Blackbear
              ... can you weave a teddybear? Like sitting up like a cookie jar shaped one?? hehehehe
              Ok, this isnt exactly woven, I fired this pipe last month -- it's based on a stone Wampanoag pipe from the 1600s

Unfortunately the stem broke in the firing, the firing was *disasterous and all my large pots broke :Cry I tried a sawdust/garbage can firing, as opposed to my usual wood/pit firing -- never again, back to the pit for me!

I'll work on thinking how to weave a teddy bear! Just dont ask about how my sweetgrass frog came out! LOL

Tara

Comment

Awesome work Tara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Thumbs :Thumbs
                The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

tule reeds

Very nice Tara,

I'm a Washoe-Paiute expatriate living in the Northeast and I work with reeds and cattails. I started making decoys a while back. I also make matting, egg baskets, twined bags etc.
                  Check our stuff out.

http://www.geocities.com/wanukentrad...ts/index2.html

PS.

Tara, we know each other already. Did you still want seed corn?
                  Attached Files
                  " You must learn the white man's language in order to survive in this lifetime - you must learn your Native tongue in order to survive forever."

http://www.wanuken.com

Comment

nice ducks

tara and wanuken

Those are some neat things.

I'm not into tule or reed type stuff, I study Cheyenne material, but it's really nice to know that folks are keeping that old tradition alive.

Ken WEidner

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear
                      I hear tule and I instantly think ballerina tu-tu material.....
                      :rofl2: Me too!!!
                      "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

We use tules and make mats out of them. Long ago, our Longhouses were made of many mats put together. There are different types of tule mats, some are made for setting a traditional meal (on the floor of the longhouse) and also for funerals.
                        Some mats are very decorative and have a twist in them, very pretty.
                        Last edited by Kakeeya; 01-20-2004, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Pards:
                          that is good work tara& wanuken, I'm waiting to see a tule shotgun to shoot them ducks with ! lol I couldn't shoot those , to pretty , besides I'm a bad shot anyway!.

'i believe I can fly'
                          Rob Young

Comment

Q

So then Tule is a word for fiber? it could be husks, leaves, reeds?

btw you two... AWESOME!

Comment

I have hollow rush for rush mats. On the old homeplace we have a small shallow pond dug my grandpa with with mules in 06'. We raise yonkapin(lotus roots) and the banks edges are all rushes.
                              We only use these for really special feasts now and don"t even get them every year. the rushes I used to keep, but the last old Kickapoo lady who wanted them passed away so now they just go to waste.
                              My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.