Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawl Decoration

Hi, I'm new at this, haha.

My boyfriend just made me a wonderful outfit for powwows (a T-Dress, apron and shawl), and I was hoping to liven up the shawl a bit. Right now, it's a solid dark red with blue fringe.

I've been looking for beadwork designs, but all I'm finding is ribbonwork suggestions. Is beadwork rare on shawls?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Black Bear89's Wolf; 06-20-2009, 05:31 PM.

Beadwork is not uncommon. But it does make your shawl heavy.

Btw, I would advise against posting your email address in a forum unless you really like SPAM:)

Comment

shawl decoration

I think you don't see beadwork on the gaberdine shawls for practical reasons. The stretch and weave of it make it difficult to put beadwork on that doesn't pucker or warp, unless you bead it separately. You see beadwork quite a bit on broacloth "cheaters" though. You might check out the galleries, esp in southern buckskin

Comment

Do you plan on carrying shawl on arm, or wearing around shoulders?

If just having over arm SOme beadwork at bottom corners would be really preety, If you are having it around shoulders, Well if i was to bead my dance shawl i would want to put to much on it j/k

Maybe just aimple lane stitch for a few designs wouldnt bear it down to much with weight

Comment

Ok, so I'm going to go minimal with beadwork to keep the weight down. Ribbon sounds good. Any suggestions on where to get design ideas and any tips on doing the ribbon work itself? I've never worked with ribbon before. Do you guys know of any websites that have free patterns?

Comment

Beads on a shawl...yeah not unheard of, but not very practical. I do have one of my grandma's old plain shawls with pony type beads in the woven fringe.

There are many ways of decorating your shawl without using ribbon work.

Rows of ribbon sewn on across the bottom
            Painting a design...airbrushing is cool
            Adding a color band - maybe dark blue across the bottom a couple inches up
            Having it embroidered
            "macrame'ing" your chainette fringe - which is how my gma's shawl above is done
            Or just making some sort of cape to wear with it...if your wearing it

If you're just carrying it make sure the design is symmetrical when folded.

And yeah, you should remove your email addy - your friendly neighborhood moderator
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I think that beadwork would make a shawl heavy to carry over your arm when dancing... I have one of mine appliqued and one of them with embroidered in one corner. If you do bead it I would stick to something that will make sense when your shawl is folded and draped over your arm. It would look funny with only half or a quarter or the design showing....

My new shawl will have a magnolia appliqued in one corner since 95% of the time it's folded up and over my arm....
              Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

if it's lotsa beadwork it will be heavy, and won't sway as well. I'd take the design from either the rest of your regalia or somethin in life that matters to you. Look at pics from your Naation to get a sense of style then just doodle until you come up with what hits you.

Comment

Soon as my computer decides to work at a speed faster than i'm typing, I'll upload a picture of the outfit I have so far.

I believe the shawl is broadcloth.

Thank you all so far for your comments and suggestions; I really appreciate the help!

Does anyone know of any good websites with instructions and/or designs on applique or ribbonwork? I feel like, though I would like to do something with wolves, I have no idea where to begin... Thank you all again!

Comment

there are tutorials on those subjects here. Use the search to find the tutorials.
                    EDIT the tutorials are here in the general craft section.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bear89's Wolf View Post
                      Soon as my computer decides to work at a speed faster than i'm typing, I'll upload a picture of the outfit I have so far.

I believe the shawl is broadcloth.

Thank you all so far for your comments and suggestions; I really appreciate the help!

Does anyone know of any good websites with instructions and/or designs on applique or ribbonwork? I feel like, though I would like to do something with wolves, I have no idea where to begin... Thank you all again!

Really easy way to add wolves to shawl is find some wolf fabric, usually can find for making pillows/quilt blocks etc. and just cut it out, Lay some thick muslin underneath and use zig zag stitch :)

Also could add fusing to the back of fabric and cut out shape and iron it on :D

Comment

Yeah, or even find a fabric with a nice native style border. Fuse wonder under to the back, cut it out, remove paper and iron it on the shawl.
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X