Straightening Feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straightening Feathers

I am trying to find out the best way to straighten feathers.

Any suggestions that have been tried and have been successful??

Go to nocbay, they have projects in pdf file format, one of the things there is the straightening of feathers! With over 70 projects so far!
    Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
    Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I use a Hair Straightening iron they are fairly cheap
      They straighten the shaft and the feather itself
      Dont worry about scorching the feather just try it on your own hair if your worried and if the hair is fine the feather will be
      LOL

Of course I use to use a 100 watt bulb and a pair of dark sunglasses but the Hair Iron works a helluva lot better!!!
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

That is quite a step down from the blow torch you used last year! Or was it the bunsen burner????
        LOL
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew View Post
          That is quite a step down from the blow torch you used last year! Or was it the bunsen burner????
          LOL
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

I have done the bulb and shades thing too, but had to stop now that we switched over to compact flourescents......

Anyways, a regular ole iron will work if you set it on low and you put a piece of fabric over the feather- just heat and bend....

Comment

Josiah, tibiki is just shocked and awed at your use of such an "untraditional" item. What you probably should have said was that you started a fire with sticks and rocks, held the feathers above the fire to soften them, and then straighten them with the "glue" you made from roadkill. Yeah, that would have avoided the whole bunsen burner comment.

Comment

By the way, im'a take my happy butt over to walmart and get me a hair straightner! Thanks for the "HAIR" tip! You da man.

Comment

Hey there mister E way to go!!!
                  Yep Josiah that is what I thought, how untraditional! Oh well to all of you that want curly feathers I guess you need to get the hair curling iron then!!!
                  It is amazing what we can do with the toys out there.

Comment

I've used a hair strightener as well. It works much better than the lightbulb or the iron. I've also tried using steam from a teapot, more traditional I guess but it doesn't work as well as the hair straightener.

I also put the feathers in a book and put some weight on the book overnight. It helps keep them from curling again.
                    What Cannot Be Remedied, Must Be Endured.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Comment

Geez, I just sold my extra hair straightener at our yard sale!! :(
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Hair straightener!!!

Awesome idea!!! We have a ton of extra ones lying around (whole family has long hair..... Oklahoma humidity.... can we say Bushy Braids?!) I'm gonna give it a go on a fan I'm making for a young girl and see how it goes! Never even thought of that! I always used an iron and a damp towel on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltagz View Post
                            Awesome idea!!! We have a ton of extra ones lying around (whole family has long hair..... Oklahoma humidity.... can we say Bushy Braids?!) I'm gonna give it a go on a fan I'm making for a young girl and see how it goes! Never even thought of that! I always used an iron and a damp towel on mine.
                            Works like a champ!!!
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

Comment

Thanks for the tip Josiah. I have tail feathers that need straightening, I was going to give the feathers for someone else to make the fan for me but with all the eagle feather busts and the confiscating of feathers, I got paranoid, even though I have permits.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X