Sew What!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sew What!

*hehe*.........Any of you lovely ikwes out there sew? Any guys for that matter?

If it wasn't for us seamstresses and dressmakers, you all wouldn't be lookin all fine in your outfits, y'know! :P

I specialize in mens' ribbon shirts, and jingle dresses. However, I can make just about any pow wow outfit but I especially like making the shirts and jingle dresses.

I love to do applique! Floral patterns and geometric designs.

Just wondering how many seamstresses we have here.
    "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

:Wave I do. I sew all sorts of stuff. Pow-wow stuff mostly but other stuff too. For example, a few years bakc I made my little baby boy an orange prison jumper for Halloween. He was just cute!!
    Before you attempt to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?

Comment

Originally posted by FancyStar
      :Wave I do. I sew all sorts of stuff. Pow-wow stuff mostly but other stuff too. For example, a few years bakc I made my little baby boy an orange prison jumper for Halloween. He was just cute!!
      Fancy Star thats cooooooool. I make Halloweenie outfits for my girls too even though they are older now I still do. My 12 yr old wants to be a wizard so I making her wizard hat :D. I love to sew. Looking at the end result is satisfying cuz its your own creation.

Comment

yeah I sew , mostly civil war stuff , but all my regalia , was made by me , and I don't use a sewing machine.to afraid I'll jack something up and need to buy a new machine. right now I'm sewing a shirt . heres a website that'll show you what it will look like when I'm done.

http://www.cjdaley.com/st.louis.htm

you may have to type it in . but it's usually called , a shell jacket . mine will look like that , when I'm finished.

Rob

'i believe I can fly'
        Rob Young

Comment

ME ME!!! although i am only 17, i hve gotten pretty good at it! i have made 2 jingle dresses, a ribbon shirt, a prom dress and a cloak for halloween... Yeah, i love it! and i love beading!

~Kelli
          If you lose the drum beat of the creator, you are lost in life - Aanishnabe

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!

Comment

My mom wasn't a seamstress so I learned early if I want it done... do it yourself.
            I sew all kinds of regalia... done buckskin dress in the past , I can't count now how many fancy shawl and jingle dresses I have sewn. Done prom dresses and even a wedding dress. Made myself a coat. Poncho's for others. and etc and etc
            "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Originally posted by n8tivechick
              ME ME!!! although i am only 17, i hve gotten pretty good at it! i have made 2 jingle dresses, a ribbon shirt, a prom dress and a cloak for halloween... Yeah, i love it! and i love beading!

~Kelli

Wowwwww girl!! Keep it up!! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
                My mom wasn't a seamstress so I learned early if I want it done... do it yourself.
                I sew all kinds of regalia... done buckskin dress in the past , I can't count now how many fancy shawl and jingle dresses I have sewn. Done prom dresses and even a wedding dress. Made myself a coat. Poncho's for others. and etc and etc
                Mato Winyan.......Wow I bet you've made some pretty outfits!!

My mom was not a seamstress either, but my nookoo (gramma) was on my Dad's side. And my auntie's. Myself and two other sisters can really ramble on the thread and material. *LOL*. I love it. I am now getting into making jackets and long coats. Ive got orders for endless men's ribbon shirts here. So, hoping to get them all done before Christmas ! :)

Comment

yep been sewing since I could hold a needle . But I sure dont like to do Ribbon shirts I cant get those jokers lined up to save my life so I stick to what I know .
                  Use to sew for TPAC here the Ren Fare outfits an stuff. I like to sew but only when I am in the mood .
                  Getting ready to make my sons an his wifes outfits for Ren Fare next year ...Yippie ..who has a large bottle of Tylenol ...hehehe my son is way picky
                  Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
                  Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

Well...this fella don't have a single piece of his dance clothes that has been sewn by my sweetie and I am the one that taught her how to do native style applique, because her band doesn't use anything like it in their clothes. Not trying to ring my own bell but there aint nothin I can't make and I have many gals coming to me to make their dance clothes for them. I got my first sewing machine at age 16 by making a small roach and swapping it to a friend for the machine. Mom had a a machine but didn't teach me to use it, she thought I would mess it up...so I just got my own.

If you would like to see some of my (and my wife's, cause we usually both work on things together) sewing then check out the 'F' word thread, there is lots of my work in their.
                    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Yep, another guy that can use a sewing machine here too!!!!;)
                      The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                      -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

i sew too :) been sewin since i was um...like 12 my father tught me how to sew:D
                        Oh yeah, I used to know Quentin...He's a real...He's a real Jerky

~Flat Beat~

Comment

Black is beautiful

I use the sewing machine, hand awls and lots of leather needles.

I am in the process of making a black leather vest with 4 pockets (2 inside 2 outside same size sewn together), pipe bag and belly pouch, doing all the sewing myself and as well braiding the seams to hide the sewing seams. The pipe bag will be covered in a beadwork pattern (16 x 10 inches) that is just about done, then I will have to carve my own bone fettishes/buttons to finish the pieces off. So far the beading has been heck in a hand cart. My eyes are getting tired of seeing so much light purple. The back ground is all that colour.

My black baseball cap is now finished with a rossette of a thunder bird, six layers of podge over and between the beads, nice and glossy and wont wear out on me. That is mounted on a piece of the black leather as well. Oh and on the back part of the hat I sewed on a small 2 inch dream catcher with two red shouldered hawk feathers on a real short strand of leather.
                          Last edited by Tibiki Kinew; 10-01-2003, 08:37 AM.
                          Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                          Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Originally posted by spottedeagle
                            Yep, another guy that can use a sewing machine here too!!!!;)
                            spottedeagle........that's cooooool!!:D

Comment

Yep, too cool that so many guys can use a sewing machine. I've loaned out my machine to quite a few ladies that couldn't even work it right.

I'm lucky my mom taught me how to use her machine when I was teeny tiny. I made little ugle stuffed animals. Then I sewed an apron in 4H when I was 7. Took HomeEc in Jr Hi and learned how to sew from a pattern.

Now I have 4 sewing machines but I really need a new one. I make quilts, coats (Pendleton even), leather vests, buckskin dresses, grass dance outfits for little guys, fancy shawl outfits, jingle dresses, *takes a breath*

Plus baby clothes, made all my girls' Halloween outfits when they were growing up until they cried for store bought when they were teenagers.:p

Um, fancy dance aprons, Sundance aprons, curtains, ribbon shirts, and regular clothes, too - all on the sewing machine.

I've even sewed buckskin leggings and mocs on the machine when my girls needed new stuff RIGHT NOW! (use a zigzag stitch:Chatter )
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X