flat fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat fans

okay so im gonna buy loose feathers and thread wrapped extender sticks from walela 49 and i have buckskin and a handle so i jus want to kno if anyone knows where i can go to learn on how to construct one using the extender sticks

so please anyone?

I have to confess, I haven't been up to making a bunch of drawings. But I did find this on NocBay. It shows how to do the extenders:

http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle...ngFeathers.pdf

This is one way to do a fan, also from NocBay:

http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle/pdfs/9_FlatFan.pdf

Here is a description of how I make mine:

I lay the feathers out on a piece of cardboard and tape them down in the desired position. Use a good grade a scotch tape, so it doesn't leave goo on the feathers. Then trim the quill ends and make the extenders. I do the threadwork at this point. Then I slide a piece of foil under the quill ends, to prevent any leaking glue from sticking the feathers to cardboard, and glue the extenders into the feathers.

I'm too cheap to buy premade blanks, so I make my own. I like a thinner, more tapered look. Since I don't have a router or such, I make mine from three layers of cedar closet liner board. I cut all three layers to the rough shape I want and cut a slot in the middle piece. Then I glue the three layers together and carve the blank to the desired shape.

I carve a groove around the end of the handle. I glue the fringe into the groove and cover the handle with buckskin. I do my beadwork (except the edge right by the feathers) before adding the feathers. Then I glue in the feathers.

I sure the above is extremely unhelpful, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
      I have to confess, I haven't been up to making a bunch of drawings. But I did find this on NocBay. It shows how to do the extenders:

http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle...ngFeathers.pdf

This is one way to do a fan, also from NocBay:

http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle/pdfs/9_FlatFan.pdf

Here is a description of how I make mine:

I lay the feathers out on a piece of cardboard and tape them down in the desired position. Use a good grade a scotch tape, so it doesn't leave goo on the feathers. Then trim the quill ends and make the extenders. I do the threadwork at this point. Then I slide a piece of foil under the quill ends, to prevent any leaking glue from sticking the feathers to cardboard, and glue the extenders into the feathers.

I'm too cheap to buy premade blanks, so I make my own. I like a thinner, more tapered look. Since I don't have a router or such, I make mine from three layers of cedar closet liner board. I cut all three layers to the rough shape I want and cut a slot in the middle piece. Then I glue the three layers together and carve the blank to the desired shape.

I carve a groove around the end of the handle. I glue the fringe into the groove and cover the handle with buckskin. I do my beadwork (except the edge right by the feathers) before adding the feathers. Then I glue in the feathers.

I sure the above is extremely unhelpful, LOL.

ok so i got it all but how do u glue the quil to the sticks? jus put glue in the quils and just slide em on or what? but thanks that helps!

Comment

The sheet from NocBay has pictures and everything. The method shown there is almost exactly what I do.

Just cut the ends of the quills, shave the extender to fit, slide it in with some glue. I use Arlene's Tacky glue. Then I cove the seam with a some cloth adhesive tape. This smooths it out so if doesn't show under the featherwork.

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
          The sheet from NocBay has pictures and everything. The method shown there is almost exactly what I do.

Just cut the ends of the quills, shave the extender to fit, slide it in with some glue. I use Arlene's Tacky glue. Then I cove the seam with a some cloth adhesive tape. This smooths it out so if doesn't show under the featherwork.
          thank you very much :) i jus hope it turns out like them professional ones lol

Comment

Hey Ole chem,,, I do about the same thing too, only I use bamboo shishkebab skewers that you get at a buck store! As glue I use only GOOP, it never hardens and is resilient and holds awesomely.
            I cut the quills off then with a round tooth pick fill it with GOOP and then set the skewer in and twist around a bit, then set to one side to dry!
            With the thread work again I tie it on and then add a tiny drop of GOOP to stop the wiggle and all! Then layers of work!!!!
            To your handles, I now add wood burning designs on the handles as well where I do not cover and hide the nice cedar wood!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
            Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X